Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rocky Mtn NP Trip Report

3,257 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TAM85
AgRyan04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

tsuag10 said:

Also, if you haven't done so yet, make sure to get your timed entry permit for the park. Unless you get there before 9:00am or after 2:00pm, you have to have one to enter the park. At this point, you will have to wait until 7:00pm (Mountain Time) the evening before to get them for the next day.
This.

But, my experience with the Recreation.gov app was less than optimal. I had already purchased the park entry pass a couple of months before our trip, but didn't know about the hiker's shuttle that you can take from Estes Park into RMNP. The night before our planned entry to the park, I kept getting errors on the app. It would let me pick out our shuttle ride time, enter my info, then crash. Every single time. My wife was able to get it to work, but it wasn't smooth sailing for her either. She just had more patience than I did.

Agree...the app is terrible.

I will say that when we went a few weeks ago we showed up without a single reservation (much against my nature) and we still had a fantastic time and never ran out of things to do in the park so don't be discouraged.

Hiked Aluvial Fan
Hiked Upper Beaver Meadows
Hiked to Bierstadt Lake
Hiked Adams Falls
Hiked Coyote Valley
Hiked Calypso Cascades/Ouzel Falls/Ouzel Lake/Bluebird Lake
Hiked Lookout Mountain

We did pickup a 4pm Bear Lake Corridor pass that someone canceled the day before and that was how we did Bierstadt Lake, but you could still roll in after the pass time limits and hike it before dark if you wanted to.
tsuag10
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

tsuag10 said:

Also, if you haven't done so yet, make sure to get your timed entry permit for the park. Unless you get there before 9:00am or after 2:00pm, you have to have one to enter the park. At this point, you will have to wait until 7:00pm (Mountain Time) the evening before to get them for the next day.
This.

But, my experience with the Recreation.gov app was less than optimal. I had already purchased the park entry pass a couple of months before our trip, but didn't know about the hiker's shuttle that you can take from Estes Park into RMNP. The night before our planned entry to the park, I kept getting errors on the app. It would let me pick out our shuttle ride time, enter my info, then crash. Every single time. My wife was able to get it to work, but it wasn't smooth sailing for her either. She just had more patience than I did.

Agree...the app is terrible.

I will say that when we went a few weeks ago we showed up without a single reservation (much against my nature) and we still had a fantastic time and never ran out of things to do in the park so don't be discouraged.

Hiked Aluvial Fan
Hiked Upper Beaver Meadows
Hiked to Bierstadt Lake
Hiked Adams Falls
Hiked Coyote Valley
Hiked Calypso Cascades/Ouzel Falls/Ouzel Lake/Bluebird Lake
Hiked Lookout Mountain

We did pickup a 4pm Bear Lake Corridor pass that someone canceled the day before and that was how we did Bierstadt Lake, but you could still roll in after the pass time limits and hike it before dark if you wanted to.

Great advice. You can still enjoy plenty without the timed entry pass, you just have to enter at the non-peak times.

tsuag10
AG
I'm not sure I've seen a crew cab dually on that road, but anything smaller than that should be fine. It's not bad at all especially if you take it slow and don't get in a hurry. It's a beautiful drive. Plan to take your time.
TAM85
Have any of y'all done the hike to Haiyaha Lake or Emerald Lake? If so, how was it? Worth the effort?

If you have done both is one much better than the other?
danielm99
AG
Yes did them both last week. Well worth it. Start early to beat the crowds and it's just prettier with the reflections early. We did Nymph, Dream and Emerald and then hit Haiyaha at the same time. First 3 are an easy hike. Haiyaha is definitely harder because it's got more elevation gain. Starts going up right away. I'd do them all again.
tsuag10
AG
We went to Nymph and Dream. We were hiking with my brother in law who has CP, so we chose not to go any further. We definitely wanted to go to Haiyaha, but we had reached our limit with someone with a disability. Dream lake was amazing, as well as the views along the way. Definitely worth it.
AgRyan04
Haiyaha Lake will be less crowded of the two

I've done 9 or 10 of the lakes in the Glacier Gorge area of the park....I like Mills/Jewel/Black more than Dream/Emerald/Haiyaha.....but the prettiest are Loch Vale/Lake of Glass/Sky Pond (but they'll be busy too)

Make sure you have a Bear Lake Cooridor entrance pass. Otherwise you'll need to be in VERY early....those parking lots fill up ridiculously early (like they had to move the Bear Lake Cooridor pass time window up from 6am to 5am because the lots were filling by the time those 6am entrance passers got up to the lots)
TAM85
Thanks y'all. I am looking at heading south out of Bear Lake or Glacier Gorge parking area to Alberta Falls and then W/NW to Lake Haiyaha. Then loop to Emerald Lake and back to the parking lot.

I am hoping that route will be less crowded on the way out and I will be heading down hill on the more crowded trails. Do y'all see a downside to that route?

I will check out Mills, Jewel and Black Lakes and Shelf and Solitude Lakes on Youtube.
AgRyan04
No issues I see on your Haiyaha/Emerald/Dream loop!

I will say, Solitude and Shelf are a pretty a big step up terms of difficulty. I haven't hiked to them myself but I'm pretty sure there is not an official maintained trail up to them, so you'll be bushwhacking up. Looking at a topo map, it looks like where you break off of Glacier Gorge Trail for those there is about a 1,200' elevation gain in about 0.8 miles so that's pretty steep.

Nice Sangetta is a bit of a goofball but he has, hands down, the best and most extensive RMNP hiking videos on YouTube. I would definitely check them out there to gage if they're for you, as well as consulting a topo map

Enjoy! I love hiking in the park!
TAM85
Thanks Ryan. That is steep. Last October we climbed Gokyo Ri. It was steep, 2,000 feet elevation gain over 1.4 miles. But there were switchbacks and a trail.

If there is not a trail up to Shelf and Solitude, we could try following the creek from Glacier Gorge Trail ..., but you are right I need to look into it more closely. Thanks for the advice.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.