Outdoors
Sponsored by

Time for a hurricane thread?

105,119 Views | 618 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by ABATTBQ11
trip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went to Navasota. Gas lines were short.
MiamiHopper
I'm supposed to be staying at a hotel in Houston tonight but I can't get through to them on the phone. Starting to look at other options. Everyone I've called so far either isn't answering or is booked all up. What are my odds of finding a room anywhere near Houston?
techno-ag
AG
MiamiHopper said:

I'm supposed to be staying at a hotel in Houston tonight but I can't get through to them on the phone. Starting to look at other options. Everyone I've called so far either isn't answering or is booked all up. What are my odds of finding a room anywhere near Houston?

You could stay in Navasota or CoSta and drive in. It's a pain but might be an option.
Jtd08
AG
Much appreciated, but we are heading down there this evening or tomorrow to take a look. Thank you!
MiamiHopper
Looks like I'll be driving into Houston early in the morning. I can't find anything remotely near.
water turkey
Don't take FM 1488 that way. It's a zoo.

We're in CS now getting gas and ice.
Jdavis2017
The power just came back on for me in Lake Jackson. My whole fence got blown over, which is not bad. My parents made it worse by losing five mature live oaks, one of which landed on my dad's truck, and another snapped a power line in half. With the amount of large trees down, it looks like a war zone down here.
trip
AG
Second this 1488 will be a mess for days. No power on most of the road
CentralTXag
AG
Power came back on at 7 PM in my part of Greatwood. After 38 hrs without, was starting to get a little warm….Kids at least appreciate electricity now. Wind damage to the trees was much worse than I expected in our neighborhood. Sad to see so many mature trees down.
rab79
AG
Still waiting for the coop to come reattach my broken transformer feed. But on the other hand I realize what causes so many fat people, air conditioning! Just think about it for a minute.
P.U.T.U
AG
Just FYI in the DFW area when the 80+ mph winds knocked over a ton of trees/limbs in our neighborhood the city promised they would be sending bulk pickup out. We got word that 8-10 weeks after the storm hit them would be able to get to our area. If you can afford it then I would suggest you pay someone or do it yourself.
rab79
AG
Aaaannndd, the coop is triming trees in the dark at the neighbor's place, looks like no AC for another night.
TheVarian
AG
Anyone in Glenloch? Trying to see if my parents have power but can't find anything on the map.
B-1 83
AG
As of last night my daughter's neighborhood in Sienna Ranch is still without power
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
TheVarian
AG

Caliber
AG
TheVarian said:

Ag for Life
AG
Tropics are awfully quiet, is it the Saharan dust? All the doom and gloom about record water temps...
lazuras_dc
AG
They say it every year …
ABATTBQ11
AG
Ag for Life said:

Tropics are awfully quiet, is it the Saharan dust? All the doom and gloom about record water temps...

Apparently that is a big part of it. Saharan dust has been long lasting and intense this year. La Nina is also taking its sweet time. Supposedly September is supposed to be really active, but I'll believe it when I see it. Still need a hurricane or tropical storm to come through central Texas.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Halfway through supposedly super active September and we've had 2 named storms. Average is 4. We might see one form in the Gulf next week, but right now we're on track for an average to below average month. That would make 8-9 named storms for the year, depending on what happens. At this rate, we'd need a record October to meet even the minimum "above average" season predictions, and it looks like we may even finish the season below average.

So much for climate change making typical storms more frequent and more powerful...
Apache
AG
Quote:

Apparently that is a big part of it. Saharan dust has been long lasting and intense this year. La Nina is also taking its sweet time. Supposedly September is supposed to be really active, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Complex systems are notoriously hard to predict. There are so many variables to weather that it's no wonder our forecasts are only good out to maybe ten days. But on the other hand....

Outrageous forecasts = clicks/views = climate panic = necessary "green energy" solutions = money = government regulations/pork/contracts= congressional insider trading/business deals = Demorats & Republicants laughing from their seaside mansions

Mark Fairchild
AG
Well, this is who I use, looking bad for Florida.

Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
fullback44
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Halfway through supposedly super active September and we've had 2 named storms. Average is 4. We might see one form in the Gulf next week, but right now we're on track for an average to below average month. That would make 8-9 named storms for the year, depending on what happens. At this rate, we'd need a record October to meet even the minimum "above average" season predictions, and it looks like we may even finish the season below average.

So much for climate change making typical storms more frequent and more powerful...

Al Gore gonna be mad
ABATTBQ11
AG
We'll see. A lot can change between now and next week. I remember when Beryl was supposed to break the drought in the hill country...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.