Outdoors
Sponsored by

Time for a hurricane thread?

105,125 Views | 618 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by ABATTBQ11
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TikkaShooter said:

It's a strange feeling, to be so angry at something I have zero control over.

Just felt like our best chance to kill this drought, and now we get to watch the greenest part of the state get all the rain.

That's why it's the greenest.
Bayou City
New models correlate w the 10pm forecasted path from yesterday. Now most models are in agreement Victoria to PLV landfall, then moving just east or west of Columbus, and then north just east of BCS and then into E TX. Looks like depending on the speed either 90 or 100mph sustained winds depending on how long it stays in the gulf.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Dargel: We are sitting here in Rockport this morning. Got the window/door coverings on yesterday. Wondering now to stay or go??
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
DargelSkout
AG
Yeah, I really don't want to go board up, but I figure I'll play it safe. I wish I knew where it was going to land.
BearJew13
AG
Trying to decide if I should run down to POC and pull the boat out of the storage unit…I'm not so much worried about wind as much as I am storm surge.
Bayou City
Estimating 3-5ft storm surge in that area.
Bayou City
New rainfall totals have East of SA and west of Houston getting massive amounts of rain. 6-12 inches for almost the entire state east of SA/Waco/DFW and west of Houston.

RGV and west Texas now not expecting to see much. Maybe 0-1 inch in isolated spots.
BearJew13
AG
The entire coast has a 3-5' forecast so I'm not sure how reliable that is at this point. With this thing not being very large or strong for long before landfall, I guess* it won't have a chance to push a significant amount of water.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I'm in East Victoria county. My neighbor put his boards up last night. I'm not boarding up but we are stowing and tying everything down. Monday gonna be a fun day
rancher1953
Better start wondering about the amount of tornadoes that will be spawned out of this storm.
Bayou City
That's my guess too. It only had a 6ft storm surge when it went over the Yucatan and it was way more intact and yay that point.

Sounds like the biggest danger in this storm may be the flash flooding. 10-15 inches of rain expected east of landfall and given the path, it's going to fill up a lot of down stream and then drop even more water upstream. The drainage across those flat areas may see some really really bad flooding if the storm surge keeps the on shore flow and the runoff can't get to the gulf.
Bayou City
Eye is supposed to move east of Victoria between Victoria and Edna. Not sure if that helps you at all but 95% of the models now that that trajectory.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Ya thats my back yard. I live in Inez, right on the Victoria/jackson county line
Mark Fairchild
AG
Dargel: Yeah, know EXACTLY how you feel! With a storm this early, we are just going to leave ours up. The coverings were custom made when the house was built and are clear, very tough plastic. Not exactly like having the windows open, but close so that were are not sitting here in the complete dark of plywood coverings. Thank You Lord for Mr. Gilliette that built the house and had the SS studs put into all the window/door walls so these go up (come down) without requiring herculean effort. Also had the covers custom made to fit each window/door. Could not do plywood at my age.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
mAgnoliAg
AG
We are in bolivar, and I got the coastal flood watch last night plus storm surge watch. We think water will get high enough tomorrow to reach 87? That's what people are saying but I don't see it.
Ogre09
AG
SCW morning update is posted
Beckdiesel03
AG
Boarded up the windows in Indianola yesterday. It worked out because my dad is too old to do it anymore and we are down here anyways. Gonna prep for the surge downstairs this morning and get home. Dad wanted the boards up anyways since he isn't sure what to think of the hurricane season already this year.
RCR06
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

We are in bolivar, and I got the coastal flood watch last night plus storm surge watch. We think water will get high enough tomorrow to reach 87? That's what people are saying but I don't see it.

Not impossible, but I'd be surprised if water reached 87 tomorrow. Well, I guess near high Island that's a little bit easier as there's not a lot of distance between the gulf and 87.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
So lots of rain in east texas + a jicky Lake Livingston dam = ?
FJB
Bayou City
Shifting back between CC and Victoria on the latest models.
RCR06
AG
Yeah, everything I've seen this morning says Corpus Christi area. Last night it was a little North of there.

I live in Beaumont. Someone mentioned the one model that had Beryl coming to Beaumont yesterday at work. I said yeah I saw that, but did you see the other 25 models that had it West of Houston.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Bayou City said:

New rainfall totals have East of SA and west of Houston getting massive amounts of rain. 6-12 inches for almost the entire state east of SA/Waco/DFW and west of Houston.

RGV and west Texas now not expecting to see much. Maybe 0-1 inch in isolated spots.

This should not be a blue parachute post...
Sea Speed
AG
I'll post them here tooz but this is my latest work wx update. I'll keep posting them if yall want.
Cromagnum
AG
I would hope for another drought than having to repair my house, but here we probably go.
Cromagnum
AG
Sea Speed
AG

Sea Speed
AG
Calm before the storm is definitely a thing. Here's a pic from 60 miles off of corpus yesterday and another from Galveston this morning.

maroon barchetta
We went to Surfside the day before Alicia in '83. It was like glass. And no wind. You could walk out a long way!

After the sun went down the salt grass mosquitoes tore us up. Like smoke. No wind at all to keep them off.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Whatever Dow puts out spawns a mutant super-mosquito.
maroon barchetta
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Whatever Dow puts out spawns a mutant super-mosquito.

It's just that the mosquitoes are so used to chemicals that none of the repellants work on them. They snort DEET like it's nose candy.
well_endowed_ag
Any surfers here? Gonna be some damn good waves down in SPI tomorrow. I may make a day trip.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
The surf is insanely calm in Galveston. No waves past the second gut.
ATX_AG_08
AG
It's making preparing for this hurricane miserable. 90 degrees, 65% humidity, and ZERO wind. Sweating my ass off over here.
BrownDeerAggie
AG
I just canceled reservations at a rental in Matagorda that was for Monday-Wednesday nights after driving for two days from Wisconsin. Visiting family in Texas, but very sad that our family beach time isn't happening. Have only limited vacation time before driving back to the tundra.
Psalm 42:1
Yesterday
AG
BrownDeerAggie said:

I just canceled reservations at a rental in Matagorda that was for Monday-Wednesday nights after driving for two days from Wisconsin. Visiting family in Texas, but very sad that our family beach time isn't happening. Have only limited vacation time before driving back to the tundra.

Head east. Gulf shores isn't too far.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.