Outdoors
Sponsored by

Time for a hurricane thread?

105,168 Views | 618 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by ABATTBQ11
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Things are getting interesting.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2024/tropical-storm-beryl?map=model
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Ogre09
AG
Don't get your panties twisted just yet
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Yea, that one has potential to be ugly. Most of the modeling shows it going into Mexico, but even with that it would be a significant rain event for South Texas.
Mark Fairchild
AG
South Texas, Rockport, here. Rain OK! Had all the hurricanes I can ever stand. Hits here and Momma says we are going back to West Texas!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
smstork1007
AG
https://theeyewall.com/ Those guys are pretty dang good, tropical weather site twin of Space city weather.
Duckhook
AG
I'm in the RGV and I always get a little worried when I see storms on that low latitude track.
dodger02
AG
I'll be in St John next week.

Hoping Beryl and the next one slide by.
Animal Eight 84
AG
I watched the eye of Cat 1 Claudette come over Palacios July 2003 while at work. Wife was at home sheltering our kids in the hall, praying all day & night. We both were impressed with the winds.

2005 was with wife and kids, we got caught up in the massive road-jam with Hurricane Rita evacuation. Was the largest mass evacuation in US history. Almost every Texas Highway turned into a 20 mile long parking lot.
Lucky a cop let us through to an adjacent gravel road and I reached an Aunt's house in Wallis and hunkered down.

Inadvertently drove into 2017 Hurricane Harvey winds somewhere on Alternate 90 near Halletsville in the middle of the night in the mandatory coastal county evacuation. All roads flooded in Wharton and surrounding County and we got stranded , luckily a church in El Campo took us in with several stranded refugees for the day.

Literally had Hurricane Nicholas in September 2021 come through my pasture and over the house.
Had over 200 big pecan trees blown down by Nicholas. Took a lot of cleanup $$$ with a big tree mulcher and bulldozer.

Hurricane wind gusts are biblical, I'll never again ride out any hurricane if I have a choice - so we moved.
Can't imagine being in a residential building on the coast in a Cat 2, 3, 4 or 5.
carl spacklers hat
Duckhook said:

I'm in the RGV and I always get a little worried when I see storms on that low latitude track.
Need to fill up Falcon and Amistad. Landfall about 60 miles south of the mouth of the Rio with a westward track would be fine, if a Cat 1. Stall out over Del Rio.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
RCR06
AG
Anthing predicted to go South of Cuba has my attention. Way too far away to even be concerned at this point, but definitely will keep an eye on it.
trip98
AG
smstork1007 said:

https://theeyewall.com/ Those guys are pretty dang good, tropical weather site twin of Space city weather.

This right here...ignore the fear mongering main stream media
Mowdy Ag
AG
Animal Eight 84 said:

Hurricane wind gusts are biblical, I'll never again ride out any hurricane if I have a choice - so we moved.

You got that right. I was in Corpus during Celia: Cat 4 (sustained wind) with gusts estimated to 180 mph in streaks through the city (which my family and I experienced). That was the day I learned the difference in being 15 - 20 miles or more from an eyewall (previously with Carla, Beulah, and TS Fern) and being in an eyewall (Celia) - very very different indeed - no comparison. I was a typical "immortal" teenager who learned I was very mortal that day. I swore that if I made it through the day in one piece I would do anything in my power to get away from any future hurricanes if I was anywhere near the coast. I spent my career living on the Texas and Louisiana coasts and never rode another one out.
BrazosDog02
AG
Pastures are dry, springs are slow. I'm good with any rainfall this can bring to the Hill Country. We've all been praying. We'll see.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
BrazosDog02 said:

Pastures are dry, springs are slow. I'm good with any rainfall this can bring to the Hill Country. We've all been praying. We'll see.

The western hill country needs it bad. Southwest Texas just hasn't had the rainfall totals needed over the last few years. Even the recent rains haven't been like other parts of the State. Irrigation wells in Medina and Uvalde counties are still starting to suck air. We need a flood to recharge the aquifer
one safe place
Most of the weather folks are all but begging for a hurricane. A few have even been warning about regular thunderstorms while they patiently wait on something to brew up of a tropical nature.

Most of the will say "too early to tell" and other qualifiers but many of them will post a map showing it headed for the Gulf. They just can't help themselves.
Duckhook
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

Duckhook said:

Need to fill up Falcon and Amistad. Landfall about 60 miles south of the mouth of the Rio with a westward track would be fine, if a Cat 1. Stall out over Del Rio.

Yeah, that's true. But that's a lot of things that have to go right.
jja79
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

South Texas, Rockport, here. Rain OK! Had all the hurricanes I can ever stand. Hits here and Momma says we are going back to West Texas!

Native west Texan who lived in exile for 28 years in Houston. Living through 3 hurricanes and more 24-48 hour downpours than I can remember caused me to move even further away than home.
SanAntoneAg
AG
I was in Eldorado yesterday and they are hurting.

Just pulled in the gate near Freer and emptied 3 inches from the rain gauge. No telling how much had evaporated since Alberto came through. It's green and fluffy here and the bobwhites are still whistling.

Alberto gave us 1.5" at the house in San Antonio.

We'll always take more rain.
Independence H-D
It is SUPER early to be seeing this many storms. Especially long track coming off the coast of Africa. This season is gonna be a booger.
hunterjr81
I always go to this site. Basically everything there you would want to know about these storms as they develop.

https://spaghettimodels.com/
maroon barchetta
Mowdy Ag said:

Animal Eight 84 said:

You got that right. I was in Corpus during Celia: Cat 4 (sustained wind) with gusts estimated to 180 mph in streaks through the city (which my family and I experienced). That was the day I learned the difference in being 15 - 20 miles or more from an eyewall (previously with Carla, Beulah, and TS Fern) and being in an eyewall (Celia) - very very different indeed - no comparison. I was a typical "immortal" teenager who learned I was very mortal that day. I swore that if I made it through the day in one piece I would do anything in my power to get away from any future hurricanes if I was anywhere near the coast. I spent my career living on the Texas and Louisiana coasts and never rode another one out.

I was tiny when Celia came thru and we lived in Portland. We evacuated to San Antonio and my dad came back to no house and very few belongings, which were scattered about the neighborhood.

It supposedly blew the wind speed gauge off the Naval Air Station but I don't know if that's true.
JB!98
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Mowdy Ag said:

Animal Eight 84 said:

I was tiny when Celia came thru and we lived in Portland. We evacuated to San Antonio and my dad came back to no house and very few belongings, which were scattered about the neighborhood.

It supposedly blew the wind speed gauge off the Naval Air Station but I don't know if that's true.
It did. My Grandpa was the asst Fire Chief at NAS Chase Field in Beeville at the time. They had to go down there for the clean up at NAS Corpus and I remember him telling me about that when we were staring down the barrel of Allen in 1980. Ceciia was a traumatic event for those folks in the Coastal Bend at the time.
Mowdy Ag
AG
maroon barchetta said:

We drove back to our home in Refugio (it's a long story) that night after the storm had moved on to the west. I vividly remember going through Portland and seeing bare concrete slabs where many homes had stood only hours before. That day was almost fifty-four years ago now, but it is burned into my memory like very few other days in my life - one of my first real lessons in how cruel mother nature can be.

Courtesy Flush
AG
I remember Claudetted in 2003. I had ordered a new boat from Transport and Donny called me and said you better come pick up your boat so I hauled butt down there and got it. Winds and rain were already pretty bad and I remember well driving up 71 to El Campo. Happy days during a much simpler time in my life!
Independence H-D

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Following
TikkaShooter
Quote:

It is SUPER early to be seeing this many storms. Especially long track coming off the coast of Africa. This season is gonna be a booger.

We had a thread about it, specifically the fantastic data the CSU complies for their yearly predictions that have historically been very, very good (despite the number of posters claiming they cry wolf every year).

See here:

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3458382/1#discussion
TikkaShooter
Looks like July 9 for next update from CSU
BrazosDog02
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

BrazosDog02 said:

The western hill country needs it bad. Southwest Texas just hasn't had the rainfall totals needed over the last few years. Even the recent rains haven't been like other parts of the State. Irrigation wells in Medina and Uvalde counties are still starting to suck air. We need a flood to recharge the aquifer

Yep. Our spring fed creek is the lowest I or any of our local farmers have ever seen it and those guys lived through the 50's here. We thought one of our wells was dry but it turned out it was just the pump saver failed. The others are holding up fine but with development in the city and the drought, water is going to be scarce. The damn city people are wasting water keeping their BS Lawns. I don't think they understand how aquifers work. That storm needs to turn a smidge to the north and we'll get a skirting of rain from the outer bands. I could stand 16" of rain over the course of 3 weeks though.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Same in Northern Uvalde County. It's surprisingly green because of timely 0.5-1" rain but almost none of it has resulted in runoff. Springs are still flowing but extremely low water level.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Already Cat 4. I'm researching generators..
BrazosDog02
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Already Cat 4. I'm researching generators..

No!

Everyone should go wash their trucks. Wax too. Full detail.
B-1 83
AG

Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
lazuras_dc
AG
Hoping for the blue track !
Caliber
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Hoping for the blue track !

Yep, hoping for the blue track but at least I'll already be down at our place to secure things if it decides to come north.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.