Outdoors
Sponsored by

Stock tank pool

6,087 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by mAgnoliAg
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody built one of these? Do the tanks at Tractor Supply work? Wanting to do something similar for the kids to swim in. Just not sure if they are worth the hassle and cost.
Cen-Tex
AG
Several of my neighbors around me have them and use them routinely. One neighbor bought a used tank and had to get rid of it b/c of all the leaks. YouTube has several DIY vids to give you some ideas.
Crow Valley
Go with the large 1000-gallon poly tank you can get at tractor supply and won't have to worry about rusting out or leaking at seams. When you're tired of it in a few years just advertise it on Craigslist or Marketplace and some Farmer or Rancher will buy it for livestock.
tlepoC
AG
I got a 10ft Hastings Black Label during COVID years. Works great for what we use it for. Which is mostly toddlers, cooling off after yard work, and watching football games. Would go poly if I were doing it today.
CanyonAg77
AG
Am I being a worry wart about kids getting in and not being able to climb back out over the vertical wall? Our local NRCS sells escape ramps, inclined ramps so birds and wildlife that fall in can climb out. Seems like a good idea
OnlyForNow
AG
I mean that thing has to get what, 98 degrees easy ?
cupofjoe04
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Am I being a worry wart about kids getting in and not being able to climb back out over the vertical wall? Our local NRCS sells escape ramps, inclined ramps so birds and wildlife that fall in can climb out. Seems like a good idea
They make A-Frame pool ladders. We have one on ours, and it works very easily.
normaleagle05
AG
I've been thinking about one of these after the summer we had last year. Pretty cheap to put together and I've already got a 12x12 concrete "hot tub" pad with power and a hose bib right there from when the house was built. Just need parts and some posts for a shade sail.
giddings_ag_06
AG
OnlyForNow said:

2 large bags of ice from Buc-ee's in it and you're golden.
SharkinAg
AG
giddings_ag_06 said:

OnlyForNow said:

2 large bags of ice from Buc-ee's in it and you're golden.

Try 20
normaleagle05
AG
And we once again have a use for shot blocks!
WestGalvestonAggie
I'm not nearly classy enough for an above ground pool. Must be nice!
"I always thought Roy Acuff was probably an *******. I’m a Hank Williams fan."

-Steve Earle
BrazosDog02
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

As long as it's got a ladder and the walls aren't slick with moss.

Good grief, man, there's a whole song about how not to die in this!!!
MIAGD
AG
Reminds me of the Pila Song by Max Stalling. Don't offer your wife a dance to this song or your legs will be sore for days. It's a long one but has some great guitar solos.
chris1515
AG
That's a water trough, not a stock tank.
CanyonAg77
AG
chris1515 said:

That's a water trough, not a stock tank.
Probably depends on region. I've always called them stock tanks

Calling a pond a tank seems odd to me
Reel Aggies
AG
Speaking of pila tanks Just need electric finished and add water.

Reel Aggies
AG
Double post
MousepadMarauder
AG
If you get one, whatever you do, don't paint it. There are people who will tell you that you can, but I wouldn't do it. We tried and it just flaked off and clogged the filter an was a massive pain.

They are fun. Ours never got hot. In fact, the water was pretty cool and we ended up putting a solar cover on it to warm the water. We are in Lubbock, so our nights are cooler, so that was probably the reason.
SoTxAg
AG
Great song.
will.mcg
AG
If you want it to be cooler you can "paint it" but you have to use an "elastomeric" coating. Think roof, bedliner, etc. Any comerical paint company has this type of coating for water tanks.

It's a great way to cool off in the summer. We have a 12' diameter one & yes the water is hot in the middle of the day but still refreshing when you're all sweaty & need to cool down.
clobby
AG
Bought one, rented a trailer, hauled it home, cut down a tree, cleared out a section of yard, bought pool pump and parts to fit it, wife came home, rented trailed, returned tank, bought new sod to fix yard. Now everytime the wife brings up having a pool, I remind her that she could have had one.
JB!98
AG
We had one when we were kids in the mid 90's. I remember it getting hot as hell and growing some type of scale on it that would cut you up pretty good. We ditched it and started swimming in the stock tanks again.
Dogdoc
AG
https://yesketanksandpools.com/pool-gallery/

If you are in central Texas.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Just installed. Now going to add flowerbed stone border wall and fill entire area surrounding with same gravel I have in my flowerbeds. Also gonna plumb a fill from my irrigation for better flow than water hose. Did a DIY kit from online that had pump/filter and all parts, fittings, and hoses. All in all cost me $750 and took me 3 hrs to install including grading, sanding, and leveling area and drill dying and waiting to charge.
Shoefly!
AG
I bought one 30 years ago, the grandkids are in it now, makes sure you drain when not in use. We stand ours on its side when not in use.A lot of hours have been spent in it!
Aggietaco
AG
Just finished putting a pool liner in ours over the weekend. If you run chlorine in them, the chems will eat away at the galvanizing and it will rust eventually. Ours made it 4.5 years from when I bought in 2019. Best $300 I ever spent for a scratch and dent tank though as my young kids love it.

Couldn't find any consensus on the pool coatings actually working long term, so I decided the $120 plastic liner, a few hours with a wire wheel, and a can of cold galv was the easiest solution.

If you want to go wild, Cowboy Pools out of Austin sells their tanks with a plastic insulating liner now so your shell should last many years without issue. Neighbors just had one put it and it is nice but also $5k.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I ended up getting a 18' pool from Wal Mart. My girls are of the age (7 & 12) where they'll want to swim and not chill and relax in a soaking pool. Hopefully it'll last me 2-3 summers. Getting my ground level has been WAY harder than I thought it would.
Ogre09
AG
https://intexcorp.com/products/above-ground-pools/ultra-xtr-frame/24ft-x-12ft-x-52in-ultra-xtr-frame-rectangular-pool-set-with-sand-filter-pump/
Ag97
AG
I keep trying to get my wife to let me build a Pila tank so I can use it as an ag write off but haven't convinced her yet. I figure I can do it myself for 1/4 the price of what a pool company charges for something of similar size.
Reel Aggies
AG
Ours was a little less than half what an in-ground "real" pool would have cost. It's 25' diameter and 5' deep, 1-1.5' in the ground (hit bedrock). I did plumbing myself and hired the electrician to do that side of things. Southern Tank did a great job.
Centerpole90
AG
I priced a pila pool last fall from a guy that did them here in the RGV and it was damn near what a small in-ground (regular) pool would cost. That was turn-key, of course. 30'

I don't think this the year to do it but I'm going to remember this thread and re-visit it someday. Don't be surprised if I reach out and ask how you broke that down and did yourself vs. the contractors. I don't have any problem contracting it myself/doing a lot myself... I just need to pick a year cotton isn't worth less than sh*t.
NRH ag 10
AG
clobby said:

Bought one, rented a trailer, hauled it home, cut down a tree, cleared out a section of yard, bought pool pump and parts to fit it, wife came home, rented trailed, returned tank, bought new sod to fix yard. Now everytime the wife brings up having a pool, I remind her that she could have had one.
Did you uhhhh, talk to her before doing all that?
Hoosegow
Got 1. This is my there year having it. 5 foot wife, 2 feel deep. Perfect for wife and me. Bought a filter and some part. Drilled an intake hole low and an outflow hole higher about 2 feel apart. Use a spa chlorine floatie.

Its is on the back patio and is shaded with an umbrella.

If I can build it, anyone can. It is perfect for us. Great to sit in after mowing or gardening to cool off. Shade keep it cool. There has been a weekend or two we have dumped some ice In to cool it off. Dump all the water out and flip it over in the winner.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Bro, she's awful thick if she's 5' wide…
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.