Outdoors
Sponsored by

arrowheads

37,575 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Noname124398
Ag by Association
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big F is correct.
AgFrogfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bigF said:

AgFrogfan said:

These are from the family collection that I rediscovered recently. I remember finding 2 of them personally but couldn't tell ya much more than that.
The big white one seems pretty neat.


I've been trying to figure out a nice way to say it with no disrespect. The five points on the right side of the photo are not legit. They are gift shop points from India. Others look good. Bottom left material is suspect for Texas.

Thank you for your honesty, bigF. I'm just trying to learn more. There's no crime in asking is there?
aggiez03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bigF said:

AgFrogfan said:

These are from the family collection that I rediscovered recently. I remember finding 2 of them personally but couldn't tell ya much more than that.
The big white one seems pretty neat.


I've been trying to figure out a nice way to say it with no disrespect. The five points on the right side of the photo are not legit. They are gift shop points from India. Others look good. Bottom left material is suspect for Texas.


So, you're confirming they were made by Indians! Great. Dot, not feather......

bigF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Absolutely no crime in asking! I definitely did not want to insult you or be some kind of thread police know it all. Felt a little torn about posting at all. It's just nice to know exactly what you have sometimes.

With that being said, my daughter brought me home an arrowhead from a field trip when she was 9 or 10 just like a couple of the ones in your photo. Fast-forward 10 years and my nephew brought me one also from a field trip he went on just a month or so ago. Both are sitting on the shelf in my office as prized possessions.
bigF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiez03 said:

bigF said:

AgFrogfan said:

These are from the family collection that I rediscovered recently. I remember finding 2 of them personally but couldn't tell ya much more than that.
The big white one seems pretty neat.


I've been trying to figure out a nice way to say it with no disrespect. The five points on the right side of the photo are not legit. They are gift shop points from India. Others look good. Bottom left material is suspect for Texas.


So, you're confirming they were made by Indians! Great. Dot, not feather......



Absolutely.......100% still made by Indians......always a silver lining!
wareagle044
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Friends daughter found this in their front yard this weekend.

Cameron TX

Pretty cool find.
BMach
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Backyard find this past weekend
oldarmy76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I still can't believe you have that camp in your backyard! Not at all the place I would have thought. So we some though!
BMach
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's a bunch of other tools and points I've pulled out in the last couple of months. Super lucky to find this right in the back yard.




bigF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hillcountryag86 said:






hillcountryag86 - found a twin to the Perd in the left side of your frame.
hillcountryag86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sure is! Nice
BMach
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also found these in the backyard "camp." No idea how to date but they're old.
ATX_AG_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Bird Poo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BMach said:

Also found these in the backyard "camp." No idea how to date but they're old.


Would be really cool if those could be cleaned up!
John Cocktolstoy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Worked at Aquarena Springs back in the day. They had the archeology site underwater. I found some cool handtools, the best was a scrape. When you put it in your hand you could feel the slight indentations for fingers. Someone went and told that I found it and it went up front to the display case. My best find ever.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
Hank the Grifter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
John Cocktolstoy said:

Worked at Aquarena Springs back in the day. They had the archeology site underwater. I found some cool handtools, the best was a scrape. When you put it in your hand you could feel the slight indentations for fingers. Someone went and told that I found it and it went up front to the display case. My best find ever.

Doesn't hold a candle to Ralph.
John Cocktolstoy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hank the Grifter said:

John Cocktolstoy said:

Worked at Aquarena Springs back in the day. They had the archeology site underwater. I found some cool handtools, the best was a scrape. When you put it in your hand you could feel the slight indentations for fingers. Someone went and told that I found it and it went up front to the display case. My best find ever.

Doesn't hold a candle to Ralph.

Which one?
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
Drundel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure this will upload, but these were from my Godfather. From what I remember, he found most of these while deer hunting in South Texas in the 50-60s.





BMach
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Couple surface finds in the backyard this afternoon after the rain.

aggiebrad16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Giving this thread a bump in hopes some of you had some killer finds after all this Texas rain.
maddiedou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does petrified wood count if so this is my third bowl in 12 years
Every time I till the garden they come to the top somehow

maddiedou
steve84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maddiedou said:

Does petrified wood count if so this is my third bowl in 12 years
Every time I till the garden they come to the top somehow



Petrified wood counts with me. i just started looking for pet wood a couple of years ago and have found some in the Crocket area. If you know someone with a polisher, it turns out really nice with color and depth that is frankly astounding sometimes. I have heard that there is a good amount in the Bryan/College Station area of Texas. Is that the general area you are finding it?

Also, I must say that I am envious of all of the arrow heads. I have tried looking for them for over 50 years in different parts of Texas but have never found any in the places I have tried.

Anyway, thanks to all that contributed. I have really enjoyed this thread.
maddiedou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
South college station. 100x100 area
maddiedou
fullback44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
clinto said:

Here's one I found recently


That's a maroon arrow head… those Indians were Aggies
EnviroAg96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone hunt for or ever find a bediasite? I'm intrigued by these - have access to some land outside of Bedias and plan to go hunting for some.
Ag 11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bigF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've enjoyed this thread. I don't have any recent finds but wanted to share a frame of points I have in my collection. The central part of the frame are Paleo pieces. I found several but many I have collected over time. Picture doesn't really show it, but these pieces are in a case/table that agrams built for me out of mesquite. For anyone not familiar with artifacts, Paleo pieces are generally 10,000 years old and older.
csmit26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cool finds in the past few months




DargelSkout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found these in Webb County yesterday.
Noname124398
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Couple decent ones I've found recently. 1,000 year old Catahoula arrow point and a 10,000 year old San Patrice dart point. Been pretty slow lately around here otherwise. Have had some decent rains but not quite enough to keep the points rolling out.


Mas89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

A friend found these on his hunting lease outside Zapata while dove hunting. I've never seen one with color like this and neither had the rancher. They find lots of points on top of the ground and some stone balls.
ETA curious about what type of rock was used to make the striped one.
Noname124398
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like it is just some sort of banded Edwards chert. Basically no different structurally than any other Edwards chert, which is the most commonly utilized toolstone in Texas by far, just happened to develop that banded look due to sediment layers, weathering, etc.
Banded chert/flint is typically highly prized by both arrowhead collectors and knappers and often brings a premium compared to its non-banded counterparts, and the maker of this one likely put much more effort into ensuring it became a finished, high quality point. The song "Banded Clovis" by Tyler Childers is a good example of the premium that is placed on banded cherts/flints.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.