Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pray for the Panhandle (fires)

37,083 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by TacosaurusRex
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Red Cross has a 90% pass through to those in need. That's is a very high ratio of donation to need.
CanyonAg77
AG
kmac30 said:

My family would like to donate some money. I'd prefer to donate to someone more direct and less overhead than the Red Cross or something like that. Someone who can use the money now and spend it now to help these folks out today.

For those of you directly involved, god bless you!

https://jackson.house.gov/panhandle-wildfire-relief/

list of all the places you can donate
CanyonAg77
AG
Distant cousin lives in Canadian, works for the Abraham family. He checked in with my mom today, and a few snippets:

One of his grandsons has been spending his days shooting his cattle to end their suffering. He said this guy is physically and emotionally exhausted.

Lots of houses in the country that survived, but their well house burned down, so no water.

One grandson was living in a trailer house. Said they expected he would be homeless, but it survived. However, his septic tank burned. Yeah, I'm trying to figure that one out, too. My guess is that tank is plastic, and part of it was protruding above ground. It burned down to the water level.

Burned trees aren't burned at ground level, they burned in the crown, and look like they exploded.
kmac30
AG
Thank you for the responses.
fburgtx
SteveBott said:

Red Cross has a 90% pass through to those in need. That's is a very high ratio of donation to need.

Red Cross took LOTS of donations, when there were big fires down in Timbercreek Canyon/Palisades, years ago. They distributed very little of that money/resources, to local folks. Not saying they "stole" it, but they used it for other areas/disasters. If your desire is to have money DEFINITELY go to the Panhandle, Red Cross is not the way to do it. Locate a local/"targeted" charity, instead.
CanyonAg77
AG
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand the way the Red Cross works, they will take your donations in the name of the Panhandle Wild Fires. They will distribute money to victims of the Panhandle Wild Fires.

But they are under no legal obligation to make a 1:1 distribution of those funds.

If they decide the Panhandle deserves $100,000, they will distribute $100,000 to the Panhandle, whether the donations in her name amounted to $20 or $2,000,000.
fburgtx
Yep. That's EXACTLY what they do (and what they did, for Timbercreek Canyon/Palisades). Just because they "raise money", for a particular disaster, doesn't mean it STAYS there. I don't want to turn this into a big "Red Cross Rant". Just simply pointing out that there may be other BETTER places to donate.
Dogdoc
AG
I donated to the First Baptist Church/Ministerial Alliance in Canadian. It was linked in the Agrilife link posted on the previous page.
SteveBott
AG
Saw this on FB

Post removed:
by user
ChoppinDs40
AG
Is the flag intentionally upside down?
SteveBott
AG
No idea. Just a pic off FB. That's a lot of hay especially if you notice the other trucks.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Rockport, TX. Red Cross was here, but on the whole did NOTHING! I will say again, "Red Cross did NOTHING!" Find another orginazion, but DO NOT give to Red Cross! Good Samaritan was great!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
ChoppinDs40
AG
I love being a Texan. The Valero in Clayton, NM was taking donations on Saturday. I bought 2 corn dogs and a Gatorade and donated $50.

Also. Upside down flag means dire need or distress. Probably intentional.
ChoppinDs40
AG
How many acres of hay is that do you reckon?
CanyonAg77
AG
I can't vouch for this guy, but he's all over Facebook, and I believe he's legit. Please make your own determination

His Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/rjkeeth

CanyonAg77
AG
If you want to get deep in the weeds, here's a guy who is arranging to supply ammo to ranchers to euthanize their cattle. If you are interested, please follow his lead closely, as you can imagine, Facebook and the Feds won't be happy about ammo stuff

https://www.facebook.com/rjkeeth/posts/pfbid031VbnB9QB7a1kayE2knAsjYuMWisvgLqs6zyfvpGFFe8xiuRf1JLq3gMaHVaoB9Pul

As I said earlier, a distant cousin is doing this, and it is physically and emotionally draining.
eric76
AG
B-1 83 said:

I heard today from Rangelady (lives near Canyon, ranches all over that area) that the current thought is the fires started from power lines whipping in the wind and sparking. That would explain a lot.
I saw a fire start in just that way a few years ago close to the state line (about 100 to 150 feet inside Texas). Fortunately, we got the fire department there before the fire spread much at all.
Texarkanaag69
AG
kmac30 said:

My family would like to donate some money. I'd prefer to donate to someone more direct and less overhead than the Red Cross or something like that. Someone who can use the money now and spend it now to help these folks out today.

For those of you directly involved, god bless you!
I sent mine to First Baptist Church in Canadian.
clinte234
AG

Pretty amazing! The hat fundraiser put on by Lubbock FD & Hometown Hat Co. has already raised over $90K!
Deerdude
clinte234 said:

Pretty amazing! The hat fundraiser put on by Lubbock FD & Hometown Hat Co. has already raised over $90K!

I looked for the option to skip send me the caps but did not see one so I'm getting a half dozen. Lotsa places to donate.
Anybody got a line on a tractor trailer? I found a guy willing to too much hay that's willing to donate half a truckload or 16-18 bales. I think trucks for 32-34, but I'll donate other half. Need help with transport.
The Kraken
AG
Apparently some of the same tin foil crowd who said the Maui fires were started by a DEW are now claiming the same for these fires.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
txags92
AG
The Kraken said:

Apparently some of the same tin foil crowd who said the Maui fires were started by a DEW are now claiming the same for these fires.
I don't put any stock in those theories, but I do think it is only a matter of time before some group or another who wants to make mischief figures out how easy it is to start a fire like this and cause chaos. We even have helpful weather forecasts and warnings to tell them when and where the risk of rapid fire spread is the highest.
Deerdude
txags92 said:

The Kraken said:

I don't put any stock in those theories, but I do think it is only a matter of time before some group or another who wants to make mischief figures out how easy it is to start a fire like this and cause chaos. We even have helpful weather forecasts and warnings to tell them when and where the risk of rapid fire spread is the highest.

I don't doubt at all that many west coast fires are started to push an agenda. Not necessarily coordinated, but a deranged lone actor here or there. I think there's plenty of them in Cali.
BlueMiles
AG
Some very large fires in south Louisiana last year were determined to be from arson. So yeah.
Build It
AG
Texas Farm Bureau has a donation link online. 100% goes to the community.

https://texasfarmbureau.org/panhandle-wildfire-relief-fund/#
TikkaShooter
Power lines ignited the largest wildfire in Texas history, officials say:

https://apnews.com/article/wildfires-texas-smokehouse-xcel-energy-22540df0a0c1d2c42a7fe0284858845a
BlueMiles
AG
A story about the couple in their 90s, pictured earlier

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/03/08/true-grit-ranching-couple-their-90s-work-together-save-cattle-wildfire/
TacosaurusRex
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
PANHANDLE10
Dogdoc said:

I donated to the First Baptist Church/Ministerial Alliance in Canadian. It was linked in the Agrilife link posted on the previous page.

Took a long break from TexAgs. Just checking in to say thanks to all of you who donated to the fire relief efforts. Physical donations, monetary donations, prayers were all felt and appreciated. Hard to describe what it was like here. There was a lot of good show up pretty quickly after the bad.

Canadian feels sort of empty now that all the firefighters, politicians, Mennonites, insurance adjusters, food trucks, hay haulers, Baptist Men, Aunts, Uncles, cousins, news stations, filmmakers, the Red Cross and everyone else all went back home. There were so many people here to help.

Anyone still looking to donate, I can personally assure you the Canadian Ministerial Alliance fund in the quoted post will get to people who need it. There's other counties who need help too. I'm just not sure the best way to get money to those families.

I'm repeating myself, but thank you to all of you who made donations, they were felt and appreciated.
Eliminatus
AG
clinte234 said:

Just picked up another.
DargelSkout
AG
Lyssy and Eckel Feeds were matching their customers donations a week or two ago. Last I heard they were shipping 20,000 bags of feed to the panhandle. Pretty awesome show of support from them and their customers.
TacosaurusRex
Eliminatus said:

clinte234 said:

Just picked up another.
Just got my hat in the mail today. It is a sharp hat, and the money went to something good. If they are still taking orders, I wouldn't hesitate to get one fellas. I am really happy with the quality of hat.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.