Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pray for the Panhandle (fires)

37,073 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by TacosaurusRex
FamousAgg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not
Much context to
This video, but the driver appears to have placed them in a very bad situation. Not good…

FamousAgg
Amazing how fast it's moving. Relatively light fuels saved the home it appears.
highlonesomeaggie
AG
Winds are supposed to get back up around 20 mph S-SW today. I hope that the cold weather and little moisture we got yesterday allowed firefighters to get ahead of all this.
B-1 83
AG
There are idiots on Facebook blaming the fires on………………climate change. Theres nothing more stupid than folks 1000 miles away with ZERO knowledge of the region, climate, and fire ecology talking that nonsense. The closest thing "man made" about all of this is likely the man made cigarette butt, the man made train axel sparking, or the man made burn barrel. One guy even said Texas needs to reforest its coast and used this as his historical backup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Texas_forests

Pseudo environmentalists and climate change nuts truly are an enemy to be fought tooth and nail.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Deerdude
B-1 83 said:

There are idiots on Facebook blaming the fires on………………climate change. Theres nothing more stupid than folks 1000 miles away with ZERO knowledge of the region, climate, and fire ecology talking that nonsense. The closest thing "man made" about all of this is likely the man made cigarette butt, the man made train axel sparking, or the man made burn barrel. One guy even said Texas needs to reforest its coast and used this as his historical backup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Texas_forests

Pseudo environmentalists and climate change nuts truly are an enemy to be fought tooth and nail.

There are environmental activists, (Liberals), and active environmentalists, (Farmers/Ranchers).
drred4
LOL, yeah maybe they should understand that a lot of areas that have trees all over now were just grassy plains in Texas.

It would be no different if here in the NE Brazos valley this last year so dry, so much yaupon burning up ready to be fuel, dead grass. You get winds and low humidity like they had up there, and a fire in the wrong place here and it would spread quickly as well. A lot of understory fuel that has been sitting for years.
SunrayAg
AG

A couple in their 90's out opening gates ahead of the fires to try and save livestock.
Brush Country Ag
AG
SunrayAg said:

A couple in their 90's out opening gates ahead of the fires to try and save livestock.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Bregxit said:

GrimesCoAg95 said:

If anyone has hay or wants to donate for fuel.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/yEGBfMi3uxeRgkbd/?mibextid=WC7FNe
Sent some gas money. Thanks for posting!

7 trucks, 240 bales, and almost $3k in fuel as of this morning. Hell yeah.

And one guy asking in the comments why you would bring hay to a wildfire because hay burns.
jtp01
AG
This ranch house belongs to an Ag.

The aftermath picture is the home belonging to the parents on a friend of ours, she was diagnosed with cancer in December and is in a heck of a fight for her life.

I read earlier that Fritch, TX had 46 home burned to a total loss in a town with a population of around 1,700 people.

If anyone is needing space for some cattle we have room for about 30-50. We are in eastern Moore County and this fire started about 8miles east of our place.

GrimesCoAg95
AG
Just talked to the guy coordinating. They are going from Grimes county to the panhandle so about 1000 miles round trip. Each truck will need about $1000 in fuel. If we go past that, there is a connection to get alfalfa there for horses.

Trucks leave on Tuesday.
eric76
AG
I just got off of the telephone after talking to a friend of mine. He is in Fritch today to help his sister -- her house burned to the ground in the fire.
WestTxWood88
AG
Seems like whoever took that picture shoulda been helping those folks…
txags92
AG
WestTxWood88 said:

May be a capture from a dash cam video.
SunrayAg
AG
WestTxWood88 said:

The way I understood it the picture was taken by relatives who were going to check on them, and drove up and found them trying to save livestock instead of worrying about their own safety.
WestTxWood88
AG
Makes sense and proves the point that tribal knowledge beats message board genius every time.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Take this to the top. The people in the Panhandle desperately need our help and prayers. Easy to contribute and to pray.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Deerdude
Whats status up there now? Very little news coverage and I as getting better info right here than on news.
JoeAggie1010
MyNameIsJeff said:

Bregxit said:

GrimesCoAg95 said:

If anyone has hay or wants to donate for fuel.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/yEGBfMi3uxeRgkbd/?mibextid=WC7FNe
Sent some gas money. Thanks for posting!

7 trucks, 240 bales, and almost $3k in fuel as of this morning. Hell yeah.

And one guy asking in the comments why you would bring hay to a wildfire because hay burns.
Could you provide a name for the group? I would like to help.
B-1 83
AG
I heard today from Rangelady (lives near Canyon, ranches all over that area) that the current thought is the fires started from power lines whipping in the wind and sparking. That would explain a lot.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
jtp01
AG
I'm making the trip from Houston back home to the panhandle today. I've seen in excess of 50 trucks/trIlers hauling hay/feed/supplies pretty obvious where they were headed.

I saw a group getting fuel in Corsicana this morning and chatted while getting fuel. There were 8 trucks headed towards the panhandle I thanked them profusely and tried to give them some cash to buy their lunch along the way but they all refused and asked me to give the cash to the people that are hurting.

There are still good people in this world, usually doing things without being asked and refusing accolades along the way.

Cody, if you and your crew happen upon this, thanks for being a good one!
GrimesCoAg95
AG
That link will take you to the Facebook page for Jarrod Dreher. He is coordinating that group. He has a hay business and works in college station.

My email is in my profile if you have more questions.
MiMi
S
From the TAMU Veterinary Emergency Team FB page:

Quote:

If you're a Texas Panhandle resident who has been affected by the wildfires, visit tx.ag/RequestTheVET tell us how the Texas A&M Veterinary Emergency Team can help you.
The VET is in the Texas Panhandle to serve those affected by the devastating fires. We're ready to support cattle, horses, and other livestock, as well as companion animals with veterinary care at no cost to our fellow Texans.
Provide your name, phone number, and a brief description of your need at tx.ag/RequestTheVET and the VET will contact you to further assist your animals.
Crow Valley

Headed to Canadian Texas from Northern Colorado. Good Luck Texas!!

Thanks to Robert Ruvalcaba for hauling the load.
JoeAggie1010
GrimesCoAg95 said:

That link will take you to the Facebook page for Jarrod Dreher. He is coordinating that group. He has a hay business and works in college station.

My email is in my profile if you have more questions.
I have friends out in Pampa, so this means something to me. I also figured it out how to support this wonderful effort. Thanks so much!
Hoyt Ag
AG
It is amazing to see the coordination of Texans to help other Texans. I am in Amarillo this week helping get power restored as best we can but it is a challenge. As IC of our company on night shift, I hear the stories and it just breaks my heart. Reminds me of when I lost it all in Ike. Lots of OB guys came to help and it meant the world to me.

If you can donate, please do. I have met so many families up here needing help. My damn P card is maxed out from buying meals and rooms for folks. IDGAF if I get in trouble. These folks just need a hot meal or a bed.

I wont mention the OB posters name, but thank you for watching my dog during the day while I sleep/work. You are a good woman and have a huge heart. Thank you.
jtp01
AG
Hoyt, if you need anything while you are up here please reach out, we are east of Dumas Texas and happy to help an Ag who is out here helping our neighbors!
JustPanda
AG
Some gnarly conditions blowing in tonight through tomorrow around 2/3pm. 25-30mph expected sustained winds.

Hoyt Ag
AG
I'm good right now, Not loving the hotel hence me needing an OB'er to help with my dog. La Quinta can suck a D for all I care. Trying to find a better spot tonight moving forward. My focus is on helping whoever we can, but we have a good handle on it with what we have available.
CanyonAg77
AG
Sorry its Facebook, but a couple of the waterbombers working the fire

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1068223117621418
JFABNRGR
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Sorry its Facebook, but a couple of the waterbombers working the fire

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1068223117621418

Walking the razors edge there and I bet they won't be doing that in 20-30MPH winds with white caps on the lake.
CanyonAg77
AG
Looks to me like that's exactly what they were doing
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Sorry if already posted.

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/2024-panhandle-wildfires/
kmac30
AG
My family would like to donate some money. I'd prefer to donate to someone more direct and less overhead than the Red Cross or something like that. Someone who can use the money now and spend it now to help these folks out today.

For those of you directly involved, god bless you!
HSEAG13
kmac30 said:

My family would like to donate some money. I'd prefer to donate to someone more direct and less overhead than the Red Cross or something like that. Someone who can use the money now and spend it now to help these folks out today.

For those of you directly involved, god bless you!

Look up general city of fritch, Borger, or Canadian. They should have information on how to assist. When we went to assist on Friday, Red Cross was a bit behind on getting resources. They were super helpful but the city of Borger had a system in place for those who were needing supplies immediately. The agrilife extension agent up here, last name Conner, was helping coordinate the ag side of relief (vet supplies, fence posts, etc.) at the Hutchinson county airport.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.