Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pray for the Panhandle (fires)

37,089 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by TacosaurusRex
Deerdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like wind also out of SSE so blowing fire back onto itself, and not blowing a gale. They may get a handle on this today.
JFABNRGR
AG
A fire that burns that fast doesn't do near as much damage to the ground. Slow rain several times over the next couple months will do wonders for that ground. It won't be bringing back any structures or loss of life but it will help the grasses.

Too much rain on any kind of slope on bare ground will work to wash away the good stuff. This was one of the most damaging issues at Bastrop on top of a very hot fire. Same in Blanco county where in some places the ground still looks like the moon devoid of life and ability to support vegetation.
lawless89
Seems pretty crazy that a fire could be doused by snowfall in Texas. Is that a first?

CanyonAg77
AG
It would be nice if the snow would put out the fire, but it's pretty much peeing in the ocean. Getting snow south of Amarillo right now, but the snow bands are just now reaching the burn area. And the snow is too light for any substantial moisture

That being said, wind and temperature are down, humidity up, which is a good thing.

Bad news is that it all blows out tomorrow and the wind will be high this weekend
SunrayAg
AG
93 miles long and 20 to 34 miles wide... and still going.

Now hearing 1 fatality so far at Stinnett.
nealan
Horrible way to go
SunrayAg
AG
FamousAgg
MyNameIsJeff
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

It is snowing pretty good on my drive to work this morning. Praise God.
That's awesome. And it seems so contradictory that this fire is raging in cold weather. My mind just associates fire with heat and dry, but I guess ambient temp is largely irrelevant. I'm sure the firefighters appreciate it, though.
ChoppinDs40
AG
maybe an inappropriate place to ask but curious about traveling in the area.

We're driving up from DFW on Saturday to go skiing and I'm beginning to look at some alternative routes, if needed around the wildfires.

Typically, we take 287 to the Amarillo loop. North to Dumas. West on 87 onto Raton and 25 north to Denver.

I'm looking at taking 86 west at Estelline and 385 north through Hereford and Channing and hitching back up with 87 in Hartley.

Is this necessary from anyone's recent travels? I'm also somewhat worried about smoke inhalation but that can vary depending on how the wind is blowing.

T&P to everyone impacted. Hopefully loss of life and structures wanes and the fire didn't burn too hot to ruin land.
CanyonAg77
AG
Understandable worry. It is not inappropriate, as I suspect lots of TexAgs folks are headed to Colorado for Spring Break.

At present the major wild fires are 50+ miles north of your normal route.

Your planned alternate is worse, it puts you going by the Magenta fire, which as of last night was 2500 acres, 65% contained, and is next to highway 385 south of Channing.

The best thing to do is check wild fire maps and traffic condition maps closer to the trip.
cupofjoe04
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

It is snowing pretty good on my drive to work this morning. Praise God.
That's awesome. And it seems so contradictory that this fire is raging in cold weather. My mind just associates fire with heat and dry, but I guess ambient temp is largely irrelevant. I'm sure the firefighters appreciate it, though.

Having lived in the mountains, I always thought of wildfires as a summer thing as well. And they largely were. But every winter the forest service would remind us that fires can happen just as easily then. Every year it seems like there would be one or two even though there was snow on the ground.
cupofjoe04
AG
I agree with CanyonAg,
At this point I wouldn't deviate from the major artery- stick with 287 and Amarillo.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
UninformedInternetBlogger said:

I think this is the most impactful example of, "if you don't like the weather in Texas, wait 10 minutes" I can recall.
CanyonAg77
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

I agree with CanyonAg,
At this point I wouldn't deviate from the major artery- stick with 287 and Amarillo.

You bring up a point, this is not the time to take back roads or two lanes. Stay on the routes that use major roads and take you through bigger cities.
ChoppinDs40
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Understandable worry. It is not inappropriate, as I suspect lots of TexAgs folks are headed to Colorado for Spring Break.

At present the major wild fires are 50+ miles north of your normal route.

Your planned alternate is worse, it puts you going by the Magenta fire, which as of last night was 2500 acres, 65% contained, and is next to highway 385 south of Channing.

The best thing to do is check wild fire maps and traffic condition maps closer to the trip.
thank you. yes, when I was looking the other day I saw Magenta fire near the Boys Ranch right on 385.

Canyon - how's the smoke where you're at? I assume the southern wind is helping with that.
CanyonAg77
AG
We only had one day of smoke, that was when the cold front blew in from the north. Has been clear since
Average Joe
AG
In case any of you were questioning how great our school is, just passed 8ish trucks and trailers all tagged with "Texas A&M veterinarian emergency team" headed up HWY 6.
nealan
I wasn't questioning, but it still warms my heart to hear it !
Independence H-D
Average Joe said:

In case any of you were questioning how great our school is, just passed 8ish trucks and trailers all tagged with "Texas A&M veterinarian emergency team" headed up HWY 6.

The VET team is deployed as well as Texas A&M task Force One. The vet team will help take care of the search and rescue canines as well as livestock and domestic animals affected by the fires. They train with Texas A&M task Force One and in fact just did an operational readiness exercise this past weekend with task force
drthoop
AG
TH36 said:

So when a cow's udder is like that, is there any saving them or are they toast from future infection?
Destined for slaughter more than likely.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
Average Joe
AG
Independence H-D said:

Average Joe said:

The VET team is deployed as well as Texas A&M task Force One. The vet team will help take care of the search and rescue canines as well as livestock and domestic animals affected by the fires. They train with Texas A&M task Force One and in fact just did an operational readiness exercise this past weekend with task force

That's awesome! Thank you for the info! I spent all my time in the nerd buildings on campus, so I didn't know much about them when I was passing them.
wareagle044
Prayers up to my former stomping grounds
SunrayAg
AG
eric76
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

We only had one day of smoke, that was when the cold front blew in from the north. Has been clear since
We had some smoke yesterday when the wind was from the south.

By the way, one of the firefighters came by the office about 6 am this morning to drink coffee before heading out. He said that he doesn't know if the fire got the Mesa Vista Ranch (was T Boone Pickens) main house down there, but that it did heavily damage some of the out buildings. I wonder who owns that now.

I also saw that about 80% the Turkey Track Ranch's 80,000 acres were burned. That's 100 sections.
eric76
AG
By the way, regarding the danger to PanTex, the firefighter I talked to this morning pointed out that the real danger is in the pastures and that the farmland which mostly surrounds PanTex doesn't present nearly as much fire danger.
mosdefn14
AG
eric76 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

We had some smoke yesterday when the wind was from the south.

By the way, one of the firefighters came by the office about 6 am this morning to drink coffee before heading out. He said that he doesn't know if the fire got the Mesa Vista Ranch (was T Boone Pickens) main house down there, but that it did heavily damage some of the out buildings. I wonder who owns that now.

I also saw that about 80% the Turkey Track Ranch's 80,000 acres were burned. That's 100 sections.
Courson?
TxAg20
AG
A group out of Midland led by Bill Kent bought the part of the Mesa Vista Ranch with most of the buildings and the runway.
GSS
  • To make donations for people who lost their homes in Hemphill County, go to First Baptist Canadian at http://fbccanadian.org/firehelp/ or Hemphill County Agriculture Wildfire Relief, Box 300, Canadian, Texas 79104.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks GSS, and not to take away from those fine folks, but Congressman Ronny Jackson's office has also put together a good list of places to donate.

Link below

https://jackson.house.gov/panhandle-wildfire-relief/
Doctor51
AG

wareagle044
Lubbock FD is selling hats to raise funds for the affected fire departments

https://hometownhats.co/products/pray-for-the-panhandle-snapback?utm_content=ios&utm_medium=product-links&utm_source=copyToPasteboard
Post removed:
by user
GrimesCoAg95
AG
If anyone has hay or wants to donate for fuel.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/yEGBfMi3uxeRgkbd/?mibextid=WC7FNe
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.