Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pray for the Panhandle (fires)

37,116 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by TacosaurusRex
Doctor51
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
250,000 acre fire and more than this one burning. It's unbelievable and so Devastating. This photo is from the south of Canadian. Canadian residents can no longer evacuate and are now surrounded by fire.
Furlock Bones
AG
Damn
SunrayAg
AG
Ugly day up here. Just saw video of structures burning in Fritch, and heard several are burning in Canadian as well.
atmtws
AG
My mom, step dad, Sister ('11), and BIL live in Pampa. Mom just texted and said they're evacuating town. BIL's family have thousands of acres outside of town they farm. Pray that weather cooperates and they can get a handle on this as quickly as possible.

Monkeypoxfighter
SunrayAg said:

Ugly day up here. Just saw video of structures burning in Fritch, and heard several are burning in Canadian as well.
I saw there was a big one in Moore County
It only took me a year to figure out this place is nuts!
SunrayAg
AG
Monkeypoxfighter said:

SunrayAg said:

I saw there was a big one in Moore County

That's the one getting fritch down by the lake.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Man this looks bad…

WestGalvestonAggie
Already the 5th largest wildfire in state history. This could be really bad...

SHERIFF BRENT CLAPP: There are no exits out of Canadian. If you are in a shelter, stay there. If you are in a parking lot, stay there. Anyone in south half of Hemphill County, from Hwy 33 to 60, should prepare to evacuate and go south or east. The wind is expected to shift from the west to north soon.
Doctor51
AG
Towns now under evacuation order
Canadian (can't now)
Glacier
Higgins
Fritch
Pampa
Borger (certain areas)
Skellytown
Wheeler
Allison
Mobeetie
Briscoe
B-1 83
AG
Doctor51 said:

Towns now under evacuation order
Canadian (can't now)
Glacier
Higgins
Fritch
Pampa
Borger (certain areas)
Skellytown
Wheeler
Allison
Mobeetie
Briscoe
Holy Moses! I'm thinking about all the O&G/refining/distribution around some of those cities now being evacuated. Talk about ugly!
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
AUAg92
AG
Terrible. Have family in Perryton with large cattle ranch but they also lease in Pampa. They've lost about 15 head and can't get to about 200. Praying for all affected.
WestTxWood88
AG
Add Boys Ranch to the list, Vega and Wildorado "on standby"
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Wow. It's a bad day here. Lots of friends affected. A couple have lost everything. Pray for these people - they're salt of the earth folks.

The winds were brutal today and they seemed to shift a few times.
BTHO all
Thank you for that update! My parents are south of Wildorado and may end up at my house in Amarillo tonight.
Need these damn winds to calm.

Prayers for those impacted and for the firefighters.
CanyonAg77
AG
Long way from the fires here in Canyon, but when the cold front blew through, we got a wall of smoke with it,

Annoying, but nothing like the horror they are dealing with in the NE Panhandle
CanyonAg77
AG

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/usfs/map/#d:24hrs;@-100.0,40.0,4z
Doctor51
AG
Photos from X.

AustinCountyAg
So what are the chances Canadian gets burned to the ground? So sad and scary. As someone who had to evacuate from the Bastrop fires this hits close to home.
BTHO all
There's a fire north (not sure how far) of Pantex and all non-essential personnel have been evacuated. Fire crews have been working on a fire barrier.
Hopefully, the town of Panhandle just down the road from the plant avoids any blazes.
Centerpole90
AG
There's canadianAg and what other posters that we know if in the immediate area?
CanyonAg77
AG
Pantex just had a press conference, basically saying no fire here. Not on site, not on boundary. I think they cancelled graveyard shifts and were sheltering people in place in an overabundance of caution.

There are some small fires moving down highway 136 near the plant, Pantex crews are assisting.
CanyonAg77
AG
Centerpole90 said:

There's canadianAg and what other posters that we know if in the immediate area?

Sunray Ag to the west, and the fires are moving east. I'm south, we just got smoke with the cold front. otherwise no worries. I know a few more posters are in Amarillo area, I'm not sure how many are in the NE Panhandle where the problems are.
Doctor51
AG
It just went south of us but multiple friends got hit around Canadian.
SunrayAg
AG
I'm hearing 46 houses burned so far in Fritch. I look out my south facing window and see an orange glow on the SE horizon.
FamousAgg
State is Deploying Task Force one, hopefully the cold front tomorrow will shift the wind in a favorable direction
canadianAg
AG
Don't live there anymore and don't keep with many of the old friends much these days. Most of what I've heard is from the news. It sounded like it was just getting to the south and western edges of town the last I heard and then the wind was shifting from the north but the fire was also north of town and jumped the river there. It's been eerily silent the last few hours which I worry is not good news.

I know one person told me their nieces house burned down and it's fairly well into town.
Monkeypoxfighter
Hearing reports of multiple homes and structures on fire in Canadian.
It only took me a year to figure out this place is nuts!
CanyonAg77
AG
Fire in Lake Meredith area now moving south toward the northeast side of Amarillo. Evacuations posted for Mesilla Park neighborhood NE of town.

My reading of imagery is that Pantex is threatened.
BTHO all
Makes sense. Understandably, they keep a pretty large buffer for incidents and watch pretty far out.
Chief77
AG
I hunted just North of town on the J Bar for 16 years. Just spoke with a friend of mines son and he said the fire came from the west and followed the river on the north side of town and in the sand hills north of town and ran east towards the feed yard. It also was south of town and that is why they closed roads both north and south of town and cancelled the evacuation.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Prayers for them all. Lord be with them and protect them.
eric76
AG
UninformedInternetBlogger said:

State is Deploying Task Force one, hopefully the cold front tomorrow will shift the wind in a favorable direction
I hope that "favorable direction" isn't toward me or toward Perryton. My oldest brother's widow lives in Perryton, now.

I'm due to go over there next week for a Dig-Tess noon meeting and then dropping by to see her.

Favorable to me would be for the wind speed to go to zero and make it far easier for the firefighters to contain the fire.
FamousAgg
A favorable direction in fighting a fire like is for it to be blown back into the "black". If wind drive the head of the fire back on itself, the fuel is already gone and fire movement is stopped or greatly slowed.
Naveronski
AG
Monkeypoxfighter said:

Hearing reports of multiple homes and structures on fire in Canadian.

I'm seeing videos on FB and X of multiple houses/barns burned to the ground.
Hoosegow
Does anyone know how to help. Time for Texas to help its own.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.