Outdoors
Sponsored by

Definitive Boundaries - Regions of Texas

6,803 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by schmellba99
$3 Sack of Groceries
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TH36 said:

$240 Worth of Pudding said:

TH36 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

Austin ain't the Hill Country. Sorry.

Have you driven 360/2222/1431

I grew up in Oak Hill in the 70's and 80's before it was swallowed up by Austin in the 90's sometime.
So yeah, I'm a wee bit familiar with the area.

You ever been through Bastrop? Just because
There are pine trees there doesn't make it part of the Piney Woods. Just because there are some hilly parts of Austin doesn't mean it's in the Hill Country.
It's been called "the gateway to the Hill Country" before, but again, it ain't the Hill Country.

I'm a native Austinite and have spent all 35 years of my life in this area (live in Driftwood/Dripping area now) and to say that Austin isn't the edge of the Hill Country is asinine. I have no love for this particular area anymore as far as people goes and the amount of but there's no denying that Austin and the I-35 corridor down to San Marcos/New Braunfels is the edge of the Hill Country. I mean the "Highland Lake's" literally end in Austin.

Oh and on edit my Mom is a native of the Hill Country, she literally grew up in the heart of it in Brady, Tx.

I guess you missed the part where I said it's been called "the gateway to the Hill Country".

Edited to add…I'm 50 and remember when Driftwood and Drippin' were a good drive from Austin. Pflugerville was very, very separate and distinct frim Austin and a good drive away. Round Rock was REALLY far north and in the middle of nowhere. And if you were going to Georgetown, you might as well have been going to Waco. Austin's ridiculous growth has certainly begun to encroach closer and closer out west towards the actual Hill Country.

I have no idea what your mom being from Brady (the actual Hill Country) has to do with anything.

I understand the at there are probably some butthurt folks in Austin who really want it to be the Hill Country and may actually believe it is. But it aint.

My point was just cause Austin is what it is doesn't mean it's not the edge of the Hill Country. There is no denying it. Anybody with a speck of knowledge of the area would know that.

You don't need to be 50 to remember everything you just said. It was the same when I was a kid. I grew up hunting everything from doves to deer within eye sight of Slaughter Lane on the street I grew up on. Nowhere anywhere near that area that you could do that on today. I hunted the Ruby Ranch just outside of South Austin/Buda before it was a neighborhood. Dripping was like going out of town and the drive from Oak Hill to Spicewood seemed like you had hit the country already.

Regardless, it's all the Hill Country. All the way to 35. That is the boundary of the Hill Country if there ever was one.

Im done with this silly argument but I'll say two final things.
You've gone from arguing that Austin is the Hill country to now stating it's the "edge" of the Hill Country. All while conveniently ignoring my comment about it being called rhe "gateway to the HC" for years.

Second, anybody from Austin or familiar with Austin knows that the 15 years that separate our age were a key 15 years in Austin's growth. It went from being a sleepy little college town by the river to something very very different in that exact time. You don't know what you don't know but it's pretty comical.

Also I'd sure like to know where you hunted deer within sight of Slaughter in the mid to late 90's.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
D Nauti said:

TH36 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

I grew up in Oak Hill in the 70's and 80's before it was swallowed up by Austin in the 90's sometime.

There are pine trees there doesn't make it part of the Piney Woods. Just because there are some hilly parts of Austin doesn't mean it's in the Hill Country.
It's been called "the gateway to the Hill Country" before, but again, it ain't the Hill Country.

I'm a native Austinite and have spent all 35 years of my life in this area (live in Driftwood/Dripping area now) and to say that Austin isn't the edge of the Hill Country is asinine. I have no love for this particular area anymore as far as people goes and the amount of but there's no denying that Austin and the I-35 corridor down to San Marcos/New Braunfels is the edge of the Hill Country. I mean the "Highland Lake's" literally end in Austin.

Oh and on edit my Mom is a native of the Hill Country, she literally grew up in the heart of it in Brady, Tx.

I guess you missed the part where I said it's been called "the gateway to the Hill Country".

Edited to add…I'm 50 and remember when Driftwood and Drippin' were a good drive from Austin. Pflugerville was very, very separate and distinct frim Austin and a good drive away. Round Rock was REALLY far north and in the middle of nowhere. And if you were going to Georgetown, you might as well have been going to Waco. Austin's ridiculous growth has certainly begun to encroach closer and closer out west towards the actual Hill Country.

I have no idea what your mom being from Brady (the actual Hill Country) has to do with anything.

I understand the at there are probably some butthurt folks in Austin who really want it to be the Hill Country and may actually believe it is. But it aint.

Drippin and Driftwood are an even longer drive these days.

Now THAT is funny.

Yeah the damn traffic is u real.
TH36

TH36 said:

TH36 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

My point was just cause Austin is what it is doesn't mean it's not the edge of the Hill Country. There is no denying it. Anybody with a speck of knowledge of the area would know that.

You don't need to be 50 to remember everything you just said. It was the same when I was a kid. I grew up hunting everything from doves to deer within eye sight of Slaughter Lane on the street I grew up on. Nowhere anywhere near that area that you could do that on today. I hunted the Ruby Ranch just outside of South Austin/Buda before it was a neighborhood. Dripping was like going out of town and the drive from Oak Hill to Spicewood seemed like you had hit the country already.

Regardless, it's all the Hill Country. All the way to 35. That is the boundary of the Hill Country if there ever was one.

You've gone from arguing that Austin is the Hill country to now stating it's the "edge" of the Hill Country. All while conveniently ignoring my comment about it being called rhe "gateway to the HC" for years.

Second, anybody from Austin or familiar with Austin knows that the 15 years that separate our age were a key 15 years in Austin's growth. It went from being a sleepy little college town by the river to something very very different in that exact time. You don't know what you don't know but it's pretty comical.

Also I'd sure like to know where you hunted deer within sight of Slaughter in the mid to late 90's.

You seem like $240 worth of sour puss so we'll just agree to disagree and Slaughter Lane/Manchac(a) Rd. I'm old enough to remember before the bridge went over the rail road tracks. I had access to a hay field on Bilbrook/Slaughter Creek Dr (where I grew up) that I hunted all the time. Families been there since the early 70's after moving there from CS. I'm quite familiar with it, thanks.

Oh and I'm not sure what you know about "boundaries" but the edge of the boundary is still considered part of whatever it is you're talking about. So regardless if it's a "gateway", "heart of", or "edge" it's still part of whatever the f*** it is you're talking about.
C@LAg
grandpa fight!

$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

bam02 said:

There are no definitive boundaries to these regions.

Correct. Culture and history have as much to do with it as anything else does. Hard for some folks to understand that.

For the western edge. I would agree. But not for the eastern. It's a definitive geologic feature. If you don't think lake Travis and lake austin are in the hill country, then idk what to tell you.

The western part of Lake Travis? You have an argument for that. I can tell you that growing up in the area, going to Lake Travis and going to the HC were two very different things.

Lake Austin? LOFL. Not a chance.

"I like beavers. Healthy beavers are important" -- Olin Buchanan 6/11/2021
jja79
AG
WTF Austin people?
spud1910
AG
If there are no pine trees, it is not East Texas. And Bastrop isn't either.
Andrew Dufresne
bam02 said:

It is hard to specify some regions. Take Val Verde County for instance - I could see West Texas, South Texas or the Hill Country all making a claim for it.
txags92
AG
tu ag said:

Looked for a more accurate map for a few minutes. This is the best (not perfect), so far.

I mostly like this map, but think it overly complicates things. I would draw a straight line East from the NE corner of the "Central Texas" yellow area across the north side of Harrison County and call everything north of that line including the metroplex as NE Texas. South of that down to just north of Beaumont would be East Texas. I would lump the Houston Metro into SE Texas. I would lump Waco, Austin, the "Central Metro", and San Antonio into "Central Texas". The counties west of 35 between Austin and San Antonio currently shown in the Central Metro should be Hill Country. Otherwise it looks pretty good to me.
txags92
AG
spud1910 said:

If there are no pine trees, it is not East Texas. And Bastrop isn't either.
I think he was saying "other than the lost pines in Bastrop, anywhere else East of there with pine trees is 'East Texas'."
Ragoo
AG
The hill country begins at the Balcones fault line

And to the austin argument. If you are west of MoPac you are in the hill country.
fullback44
AG
tu ag said:

Looked for a more accurate map for a few minutes. This is the best (not perfect), so far.

South East Texas = arm pit of Texas
agenjake
South Texas starts in San Antonio. Everything south of Hwy 90. The eastern edge is roughly Seguin, then south down 123 then southeast down 87. All the Pollocks are in South Texas. Most of the Czechs east of there are not.

And you don't hit the valley til you are south of Port Mansfield.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Correct. Culture and history have as much to do with it as anything else does. Hard for some folks to understand that.
Cultural regions & land regions are two different arguments. They are often tied together, but not always & they change over time... I think we'd all agree on that.

As for Austin, as many others have said it is at the border of the Hill Country. West Austin & Travis County are Hill Country in Geologic terms, East Austin/Travis are Blackland Prarie. You can see the delineation from space & there really is no arguing this. It doesn't matter how old you.

If you want to get into "Culture" well then we can also probably all agree that Austin has been on an island culturally since the mid 1960's and a large portion of the population is Texan by happenstance.
Howdy Dammit
AG

Howdy Dammit said:

bam02 said:

For the western edge. I would agree. But not for the eastern. It's a definitive geologic feature. If you don't think lake Travis and lake austin are in the hill country, then idk what to tell you.

The western part of Lake Travis? You have an argument for that. I can tell you that growing up in the area, going to Lake Travis and going to the HC were two very different things.

Lake Austin? LOFL. Not a chance.

Facts don't care about you're feelings.
MouthBQ98
AG
The state actually publishes geological region maps based on the actual geology and surface biology and climate. They're pretty definitive. The graduation between some regions is of course more subtle than others, sp the boundaries are estimates of averages or approximations along the nearest definitive surface features.
TWC22
AG
The border between the Hill Country and South Texas should be HWY 90 going west out of San Antonio.
MouthBQ98
AG
And there is a distinction between geographical regions and geologic regions of course, but I like the geological regions.

The geographical regions maps are based a bit more on politics, surface use, and culture than something with more strict characteristics.

Apache
AG
Your geologic map (while obviously correct for what it is) has Laredo & Longview in the same region.
While useful perhaps for mineral exploration or dinosaur hunting, that doesn't help for compartmentalizing Texas the way we are unsuccessfully trying to do here.

This ecoregion map is better than the Geologic one you posted, but still too complex. Safe to say this argument will never be resolved.
texags08
AG

TH36 said:

TH36 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

This part tells me all you THINK you know about that area.

You definitely don't remember much of what South Austin was. We moved here in 99 and up until ~'03 there was still fenced off farm/ranch land on Slaughter Ln from Manchaca all the way past MoPac.

In 2000 the intersection of Brodie and Slaughter was nothing more than the entrance into shady hollow. The Randalls on the northeast corner was fenced off farm land. I have no doubt this guy was easily hunting that property in those times. Hell, just 10 years ago there were still people hunting off Frate Barker between Brodie and Manchaca.
B-1 83
AG
Apache said:

Your geologic map (while obviously correct for what it is) has Laredo & Longview in the same region.
While useful perhaps for mineral exploration or dinosaur hunting, that doesn't help for compartmentalizing Texas the way we are unsuccessfully trying to do here.

This ecoregion map is better than the Geologic one you posted, but still too complex. Safe to say this argument will never be resolved.

Similar to the MLRA maps I'm used to.

Yes, western Travis County is "Hill Country" and shares ecological sites with much of that region. Now……if you want to split hairs and separate "Edward's Plateau" and the granite country around F'burg and Llano, you might have a point.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
agenjake
I like to think of Zavala and Frio County as Eduardo's Plateau.
HTownAg98
Ragoo said:

The hill country begins at the Balcones fault line

And to the austin argument. If you are west of MoPac you are in the hill country.

You can see the fault line while driving along MoPac. Look to the west at Far West Blvd; that giant bluff is where the fault line is.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Quote:

You definitely don't remember much of what South Austin was. We moved here in 99

I love this so much.

Davis Hill. Davis Lane. I'll let you guess my last name and how long my family has been in the area.

And my memory of the area is pretty good considering how much of it was family land well into your lifetime.

And for the record, I asked that question of him genuinely because given the areas where one COULD have hunted in that timeframe and considering the land owners at the time, if he wasn't telling tall tales, there's a pretty good chance I may know his family!
Ragoo
AG
Apache said:

beautiful map. Would love a framed printed copy. 30c is the hill country.
texags08
AG

Quote:

You definitely don't remember much of what South Austin was. We moved here in 99

I love this so much.

Davis Hill. Davis Lane. I'll let you guess my last name and how long my family has been in the area.

And my memory of the area is pretty good considering how much of it was family land well into your lifetime.

And for the record, I asked that question of him genuinely because given the areas where one COULD have hunted in that timeframe and considering the land owners at the time, if he wasn't telling tall tales, there's a pretty good chance I may know his family!

Sorry we aren't as Austin as you are Richard... You can sure be proud of that I guess. Why not preface your knowledge of the area with information that alludes to this rather than just being condescending. I don't GAF who your family is so I'm not saying you had to go as far as outing that to make your point, but you were speaking as a "50 year Austinite" and how the hell would anyone know you weren't "telling tall tales"?

Look, the guy said he grew up in the area and you questioned him as if it weren't possible for him to have hunted the land. Now I see where you were thinking it wasn't possible because you seem to know all of these families and you would surely know this person. Why would he tell tall tales about hunting property off of Slaughter, seems like a very silly thing to make up? If you were GENUINELY asking it would have been more of a "Where did you hunt? Maybe I know your family." By saying "Id sure like to know where you hunted in the 90's " you are implying one of two things in my mind. Either you don't believe him because you're so arrogant you think you know anyone that could have hunted there or their family, or you didn't know what that particular area was like in the 90's. From your comments about growing up in Oak hill I assumed the latter. So, we can stop with the assumptions now and have an adult conversation. Kind of sad that needs to be said to a 50 year old man on a forum.

But go ahead and keep up your OG Austin schtick it's very entertaining...
TH36

Quote:

I love this so much.

To answer your question, if you know what you say you know then Malone is the last name of the property I dove hunted on in my later childhood years. It's all neighborhoods now. UP was my other lease (that's the Union Pacific railroad) and before you get all high and mighty on me and tell me how illegal and wrong that is well it's the truth. I hunted the railroad from Slaughter Lane to Slaughter Creek and killed more damn doves than any place I would ever want to pay money for. The other place I hunted was owned by Max Ladusch, a pretty well known union electrician from Sputh Austin. His place butted up to Slaughter Creek by the Cates place off Chappell Lane.

If you have a hard time believing that then I dunno what to tell you? My Dad used to also ride our horse up to the Exxon on Slaughter and Manchac(a) road to get the paper….is that hard to believe too?

As far as culture goes, South Austin used to be known as the spot where all the Bubba's lived but I'm sure you know that as well…don't you? So to say the "culture" was a little different down that way is an understatement…but, you should know that.

Oh and I'm just a 35 year old going on 20 year plumber from South Austin who now claims Dripping Springs as his home cause at least there's still a glimmer of conservative hope there. Is that enough family history for you?

But I love both spots in the Hill Country.
Andrew Dufresne
Would y'all say that East Texas begins at the Sam Houston National Forest?
MouthBQ98
AG
Yeah, that's more of what I was actually looking for.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
First off, everyone needs to calm the eff down.
I still don't consider Austin the Hill Country and never will but what started off as a silly little post has turned into something really stupid. Yeah, I should've just quit and I realize how dumb some of my comments come off. I wasn't trying to "big time" anyone or anything of the sort. The whole thing got turned on its head and I apologize to those that feel they're owed one.
My whole point originally was that geography/geology only plays a part in these regions. It's like someone saying Houston is in East Texas. Technically it is but no self respecting Texan would ever say that Houston is East Texas….did that clear it up or make it worse?

Anyway, hoping to move things back to civility…..Ah, y'all were more down Manchaca. We were a bit further west down Slaughter back out between Brodie and north of where Bowie is today where the Jones' and Akins' were. But this was back when Slaughter "tee'd" into Brodie.

Did you by chance ever hunt that ROW with anybody named Vasquez or Garner? I'd bet dollars to donuts you did even if you didn't know it at the time.
Apache
AG
Quote:

It's like someone saying Houston is in East Texas. Technically it is but no self respecting Texan would ever say that Houston is East Texas
First off, thanks for clearing up your stance and turning the conversation back towards civility.

Second, my family has been in Texas since before the revolution and you're a %*#$% idiot if you don't think Houston is in East Texas.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

It's like someone saying Houston is in East Texas. Technically it is but no self respecting Texan would ever say that Houston is East Texas
First off, thanks for clearing up your stance and turning the conversation back towards civility.

Second, my family has been in Texas since before the revolution and you're a %*#$% idiot if you don't think Houston is in East Texas.

Love it.
texags08
AG

First off, everyone needs to calm the eff down.
I still don't consider Austin the Hill Country and never will but what started off as a silly little post has turned into something really stupid. Yeah, I should've just quit and I realize how dumb some of my comments come off. I wasn't trying to "big time" anyone or anything of the sort. The whole thing got turned on its head and I apologize to those that feel they're owed one.
My whole point originally was that geography/geology only plays a part in these regions. It's like someone saying Houston is in East Texas. Technically it is but no self respecting Texan would ever say that Houston is East Texas….did that clear it up or make it worse?

Anyway, hoping to move things back to civility…..Ah, y'all were more down Manchaca. We were a bit further west down Slaughter back out between Brodie and north of where Bowie is today where the Jones' and Akins' were. But this was back when Slaughter "tee'd" into Brodie.

Did you by chance ever hunt that ROW with anybody named Vasquez or Garner? I'd bet dollars to donuts you did even if you didn't know it at the time.
I don't think any of us feels we were OWED an apology, but do accept the one given. Appreciate you turning around your mentality on the conversation and will do the same.

Just one more little ribbing for you though, I'm pretty sure we were all already calm.
TH36
It's the internet, lord knows I've been in plenty of pointless arguments cause you can't tell a person's demeanor or true point over a phone or computer.. I took your tone a little differently than you meant. No big deal man, it's all good.

So, it's all good. But yes, when you said Davis…I knew exactly what area you were from. You were obviously there before my time but much of what you talk about I've heard my Dad say many times. For instance he remembers when Manchaca and Slaughter intersection was just a blinking light. Slaughter went through Brodie by the time I was around but the only thing over that way was Bowie and then Circle C across Mopac. I of course remember Mopac stopping just past the wildflower center.

Yes, my neighborhood I grew up in is next to Texas Oaks and just across the creek from San Leanna. Most of the big black bass I've caught in my life come from Slaughter Creek at the back of my neighborhood just up stream of Pretty Pool which is in Mary Moore Seawright.
AllTheFishes
AG
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.