Outdoors
Sponsored by

Definitive Boundaries - Regions of Texas

6,769 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by schmellba99
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
East Texas and deep east Texas gotta be split into two different areas.

Also east Texas don't start until north of Houston and Beaumont.
Birdbear
AG
tu ag said:

Looked for a more accurate map for a few minutes. This is the best (not perfect), so far.

This map belongs in the garbage can. Crockett county might be hilly but it's culturally about as West Tx as it gets.
txags92
AG
TH36 said:

As far as culture goes, South Austin used to be known as the spot where all the Bubba's lived but I'm sure you know that as well…don't you?

Funny you say that. I remember my brother working at the Sams Club on I35 in South Austin back in the late 80s as a manager. One of the tasks they gave the stocking crew every thursday was to "build the bubba wall". The "bubba wall" was what they called the huge stack of cases of beer on sale that week. They would build the wall anticipating all the "bubbas" coming in to get their beer for the weekend.
joemeister
AG
Apache said:

This map is great. I grew up in Runnels County, and it makes sense that a strip of good farmland runs right through the middle (27h), then badlands in the SW (26c) and limestone plains in the SE (27j). Thank you for sharing. It definitely aligns with my observations working on various farms and ranches throughout the area with my dad growing up.

If you told anybody in Ballinger that they lived in either the Hill Country or the Panhandle, as some of the various maps posted by others suggest, they would laugh at you. The economy is farm/ranch/oil/welfare. The old families are Catholic Germans (same families that live in Wall and St. Lawrence) and Tejanos. They speak the same slow-dialect as everyone else native to what we generally referred to as "West" Texas.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
txags92 said:

TH36 said:

As far as culture goes, South Austin used to be known as the spot where all the Bubba's lived but I'm sure you know that as well…don't you?

Funny you say that. I remember my brother working at the Sams Club on I35 in South Austin back in the late 80s as a manager. One of the tasks they gave the stocking crew every thursday was to "build the bubba wall". The "bubba wall" was what they called the huge stack of cases of beer on sale that week. They would build the wall anticipating all the "bubbas" coming in to get their beer for the weekend.

In the early/mis 80's there was literally a tug of war across town lake between South Austin and North Austin. It was the Bubbas vs the Yuppies.
"I like beavers. Healthy beavers are important" -- Olin Buchanan 6/11/2021
schmellba99
AG
Nobody will ever agree, because it's all a matter of perpsective - whether you are looking in or looking out from a particular area.

For example - for me, from the San Jac river on I-10 heading north to 90 and east to Beaumont and then from 12 to the LA state line and everything south is SE Texas. Some will argue that the line extends up 146 to 105 then east. That's a definite gray area.

From Galveston bay to 59 going south to about Alice, then down to Falfurias then over to the south end of Land Cut is the Gulf Coast region. There are two sub-regions - the upper Gulf Coast from San Antonio Bay heading north and east, and the Coastal Bend region from San Antonio bay heading south.

East Texas is essentially 45 north from Houston to Dallas on the western side, I-20 on the northern side and 90 on the south side. Like the gulf coast, it has different sub-regions - the Pine Curtain, Redbone Country and just East Texas.

I-30 from DFW up through paris and Powderly is the western edge of Northeast Texas

I'd call North Texas as I-20 on the south, eastern edge is the border of Northeast Texas, and western border is Abiline to Childress.

Panhandle is essentially from Childress to Plainview to the border and everything north

West Texas/Llano is from Plainview to Ballinger to San Angelo to Del Rio on the east, all the way west to the Rio. Subregion of that is the Trans-Pecos region west of the Pecos river.

Central Texas is Del Rio to Abeline to DFW to about Seguin on the eastern side, following 181 south to 59 at Beeville, west to Cotulla (or maybe Pleasanton is a better border?) and then Eagle Pass Del Rio, north back to Del Rio. Sub-regions include the Hill Country (with an eastern border of I-35 and western to wherever), Blackland Prairie/regular Central Texas and whatever that region west and south of San Antonio might be called.

Valley South Texas is everything south of Eagle Pass (maybe Del Rio?) to 37 on the east, 77 south to around the Land Cut area. RGV is the handful of counties from Brownsville north to around Rio Grande City.

But that's from my perspective. Somebody posted above about Brady or whatever being 200 miles close to Louisiana than El Paso - but everything is 200 miles closer to something else than El Paso, because that place is hell and gone from anywhere. Hell, El Paso is closer to San Diego than it is Beaumont.
agenjake
This is pretty good, with the exception of overstating what the valley is. What you are calling the valley but not the RGV is South Texas, aka God's country.
txags92
AG
schmellba99 said:

Nobody will ever agree, because it's all a matter of perpsective - whether you are looking in or looking out from a particular area.

For example - for me, from the San Jac river on I-10 heading north to 90 and east to Beaumont and then from 12 to the LA state line and everything south is SE Texas. Some will argue that the line extends up 146 to 105 then east. That's a definite gray area.

From Galveston bay to 59 going south to about Alice, then down to Falfurias then over to the south end of Land Cut is the Gulf Coast region. There are two sub-regions - the upper Gulf Coast from San Antonio Bay heading north and east, and the Coastal Bend region from San Antonio bay heading south.

East Texas is essentially 45 north from Houston to Dallas on the western side, I-20 on the northern side and 90 on the south side. Like the gulf coast, it has different sub-regions - the Pine Curtain, Redbone Country and just East Texas.

I-30 from DFW up through paris and Powderly is the western edge of Northeast Texas

I'd call North Texas as I-20 on the south, eastern edge is the border of Northeast Texas, and western border is Abiline to Childress.

Panhandle is essentially from Childress to Plainview to the border and everything north

West Texas/Llano is from Plainview to Ballinger to San Angelo to Del Rio on the east, all the way west to the Rio. Subregion of that is the Trans-Pecos region west of the Pecos river.

Central Texas is Del Rio to Abeline to DFW to about Seguin on the eastern side, following 181 south to 59 at Beeville, west to Cotulla and then Eagle Pass, north back to Del Rio. Sub-regions include the Hill Country (with an eastern border of I-35 and western to wherever), Blackland Prairie/regular Central Texas and whatever that region west and south of San Antonio might be called.

Valley is everything south of Eagle Pass to 37 on the east, 77 south to around the Land Cut area. RGV is the handful of counties from Brownsville north to around Rio Grande City.

But that's from my perspective. Somebody posted above about Brady or whatever being 200 miles close to Louisiana than El Paso - but everything is 200 miles closer to something else than El Paso, because that place is hell and gone from anywhere. Hell, El Paso is closer to San Diego than it is Beaumont.
You lumped most of what I would call "South Texas but not RGV" into "Central Texas". If you took I-10 as the dividing line and Central Texas is north of I-10 and South Texas is south of I-10, I wouldn't disagree.
schmellba99
AG
agenjake said:

This is pretty good, with the exception of overstating what the valley is. What you are calling the valley but not the RGV is South Texas, aka God's country.
Ahhh! I knew it didn't sound right, it should be South Texas, correct.
schmellba99
AG
That area is kind of weird. Not south texas to me, not the valley, not west texas either. Kinda no man's land. I sort of lump it into the "western central texas kinda sorta maybe area".

I guess maybe you could say south Texas goes all the way up to 90, that would probably be more accurate I think like you said. Hell, I was just winging it anyway.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.