Outdoors
Sponsored by

What would the OB do? Abandoned truck edition

4,893 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by tweekac
UnderoosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Come out of the garage Thursday morning headed to work and see a strange truck parked in front of the house. There was nobody in it and I figured it was a friend of the neighbor's kid, or somebody's new lawn guy. It has a homemade expanded metal gate/ramp on the back in place of the tailgate. About lunch or so my wife texted and asked if I knew anything about it because apparently none of the neighbors did either. I checked the cameras and saw two younger dudes pull up, park, scurry off to an awaiting SUV and take off, somewhere about 2:45 am.

Called the non-emergency sheriff's number and told them it looks stolen and abandoned. Wife noticed the passenger side door handle is busted open. SO came out, ran the plates, and said it's not reported stolen. He also said that because it has valid plates and registration, it can remain parked on the public street. He did say they could sticker the window for removal in 48 hours because of how it was parked, but then went full knucklehead. He came back and knocked again, asking to borrow a tape measure. He told my wife it had to be over 18" from the curb to be illegally parked. After he measured it, he said it was right at 18. Wife told him, "so slap the sticker on it, who the hell's gonna argue with you?" He was kind enough to go reread the rule and decide he couldn't do anything further, even after seeing the video.

My money still says this thing is stolen. If you're hiding from the repo man, or hiding your buddy's truck, 2:45 am isn't always necessary, and for that matter, how long do you leave it here? It's not locked, SO opened the door and poked around. Not sure if the ignition is busted open. We're in suburbia just outside Helotes and not on a common or through street. Our house just happened to be the first one without a car parked in front.

Should I tear down my fence and load it in the back or shoot it with a propane cannon? I have the plate if anyone wants it. Half curious if the owner lives in the neighborhood.

Hoyt Ag
AG
I would find a way to move it to 24inches and have it stickered then towed. Or learn to hotwire it and you now have a new deer lease truck.
drred4
SO can not find a number to call the person it is registered to?
Pro Sandy
AG
drred4 said:

SO can not find a number to call the person it is registered to?
Why do that? Police going to call and say "sir, you parked your car legally on the street but OP doesn't like it, so move please?"
tamc93
AG
Hopefully you do not live in an HOA where they prohibit overnight on-street parking?

Perhaps someone could deflate the tires so it is in disrepair and meets the criteria?
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Sims
AG
Check if there is a UCC filing based on the VIN - call the lender that has a lien on the vehicle...they'd be interested.

UCC Search
redaszag99
Advertise free truck on Craigslist
ghollow
AG
Buddy of mine had his truck stolen several years ago. It was found 3 weeks later parked on a residential street a bout 6 blocks from his house in Lewisville. It had been there since the night it was stolen. It was parked on the property line between two houses. Each neighbor thought it belong to the other and never called the cops. By chance, a Lewisville cop car with a license plate reader drove by and was alerted it was stolen. My buddy was in Florida on vacation when he got the call his truck had been found. He called me at work and asked if I could get the truck back to his house. Turns out, the truck was used to steal an ATM machine and then abandoned about three hours later. It had been sitting in the same spot for over three weeks with an ignition key in the console and the windows rolled down. We had several big thunderstorms during that period. They did about $2500.00 damage to the truck. Rick continued to drive it for at least another 5 years.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
cryption
Where are you? In city of Houston you just call 3 days in a row and they tow it off. It's illegal for a car to be parked without moving for over 24 hours. Many jurisdictions have similar laws

https://www.houstontx.gov/parking/abandoned-towed-vehicles.html

Or just keep calling the cops anyway. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. They'll impound it just to shut you up
cupofjoe04
AG
How hard could it be to move one end of the truck 1" further from the curb? Or maybe chip away 1" of the curb, ha ha!
Beckdiesel03
AG
It's been quite awhile since I did code enforcement work but there is an difference in an illegally parked car due to the way it's parked and an abandoned vehicle. If none of the neighbors knows whose car it is, and it gets tagged abandoned ,they can tow it. The problem is a lot of these places don't have a yard to tow it to, so it's easier to just ignore the problem for the cops. But like I said it's been awhile since I knew the rules. What jurisdiction are you in?
SanAntoneAg
AG
Put a Free Truck sign in the window.

In puro SA fashion, it'll be gone by the morning.
Gig 'em! '90
87IE
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

I would find a way to move it to 24inches and have it stickered then towed. Or learn to hotwire it and you now have a new deer lease truck.
Floor Jack under the differential and a good push on the side of the bed to stick it further out...
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
Belton Ag
AG
If it starts, drive it to Bergstrom airport and park it in the blue garage. Slap a Doss sticker on it before you walk away.
UnderoosAg
AG
Bexar County
UnderoosAg
AG
Had mine stolen about 9 years ago. Similar deal. It was ditched in a crappy apartment parking lot and found with a plate reader drive by. The damage to steal it totaled it, and all for two jackets, an old radio and a golf club.
Beckdiesel03
AG
County is going to have less support than a City would. Like mentioned above you could always move it to where it is a nuisance. Or let your kids shoe polish the windows, the pissed off owner might show up quick. We had that happen in NB. Nobody claimed the car on our street until
It started getting messed with. And I mean in a non damaging way of course
Hoyt Ag
AG
After thinking about it, this is the best action. I would try to find the owners number. Post on anonymous on fb and Craigslist thier number and the truck being free. They will grow tired of the calls within a day.
cupofjoe04
AG
Belton Ag said:

If it starts, drive it to Bergstrom airport and park it in the blue garage. Slap a Doss sticker on it before you walk away.

I wold gladly chip in for an OB gas fund to make this happen.
JFABNRGR
AG
Truck was probably used in a dope or human trafficking run and dumped.

One of the many problems with the asset forfeiture laws.
UnderoosAg
AG
Passenger door handle assembly hanging out. Driver door unlocked. Ignition didn't looked popped open. Inside is trashed, **** everywhere, upholstery all torn up. Found the apparent owner, listed as a 48 year old lady in a subdivision a mile or two over. Gonna try the sheriff again Monday and see if it's reported stolen yet. Our craptastic HOA might actually come in handy.
91AggieLawyer
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Passenger door handle assembly hanging out. Driver door unlocked. Ignition didn't looked popped open. Inside is trashed, **** everywhere, upholstery all torn up. Found the apparent owner, listed as a 48 year old lady in a subdivision a mile or two over. Gonna try the sheriff again Monday and see if it's reported stolen yet. Our craptastic HOA might actually come in handy.

Maybe take a note to her door saying, "is this your truck parked in front of my house?" with a pic attached?
hook60
SanAntoneAg said:

Put a Free Truck sign in the window.

In puro SA fashion, it'll be gone by the morning.
If you really want it stolen in SA, do the following:
-install alarm
-use a "club"
-install a tracking device
-etch all glass with VIN

-park in Bass Pro parking lot (if items above don't work)
UnderoosAg
AG
Our craptastic HOA said they "escalated" it to a deputy who could hopefully have it towed. Went nowhere. With the rain last few days it was leaving a brake dust or other rust puddle in the street. Called BCSO again yesterday, been a week now, you can start it allegedly with no key, etc. Dispatcher said yeah that's gotta be towed. In hindsight, first deputy who came out looked like he sits to piss. Two who came out yesterday took all of 20 seconds to decide to tow it, and then figure out the reason. Settled on it was left unsecured. He also said had he come out the first time, he'd have checked with neighbors and then towed it. But it's gone now.
OnlyForNow
AG
Shoulda just nudged it into the street to impede traffic.
CrottyKid
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

How hard could it be to move one end of the truck 1" further from the curb? Or maybe chip away 1" of the curb, ha ha!

I see the truck has been removed, but I did this exact thing twice.

Back in around 2003, a Mitsubishi Eclipse got parked one night in the space designated for my apartment across from Wings & More on Deacon Dr. It sat there for a week, and I had to park about 300 yards from my apartment in the visitor spaces. CSPD wouldn't tow it, because it was parked legally. Nevermind the fact that they tow people constantly in CS and later gave me a ticket for parking slightly on the grass in my own driveway. Anyway, I borrowed my buddy's floor jack and jacked the back end of the Eclipse up and rolled it sideways across the parking lines. Called CSPD, and it was gone within the hour. I still wonder why that car showed up and didn't move for a couple of weeks.

Second time was in a house in Bryan. Someone parked their crappy old squarebody Chevy in front of our mailbox and left it for several days. We kept getting a note from USPS that said they couldn't deliver our mail (but they could put the note in our mailbox just fine). Finally, the neighbors and I had a few beers and crawled under the truck and disconnected the drive shaft and just rolled the truck out of the way and then reconnected it. Hooray beer!
OnlyForNow
AG
Wait wait wait...

The single story town-houses catty-corner from Wings N More on Deacon or the actual apartments?

There was a chick who drove an Eclipse, who lived next door to me in the townhouses (address was technically Longmire), and parked like a moron - had her car towed multiple times.

I lived there May 2003-May 2009.
Tim Weaver
This same thing happened with a motorcycle in front of our house last year.

Thieves will steal something when the owners are not around. Maybe on vacation or whatever. Then park it on the street for a few days and see if it gets reported stolen. If its still there after a week or so they come back and get it and now they have a "legal" car to drive around in and do more crime.

Last summer a motorcycle got left, street parked, in front of our house. It being summer time, this bike was likely a students and they were home for break. Stayed a week, then disappeared one night just as quick as it arrived.

We called the PD but they said the same thing. "Registered and parked legally" so they couldn't tow it and it was not reported stolen.

Good chance OP's truck will end up doing some kind of crime, then will be pulling 3 other cars in a caravan down to Mexico in a month or two.
malenurse
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Wait wait wait...

The single story town-houses catty-corner from Wings N More on Deacon or the actual apartments?

There was a chick who drove an Eclipse, who lived next door to me in the townhouses (address was technically Longmire), and parked like a moron - had her car towed multiple times.

I lived there May 2003-May 2009.
My wife and I lived there in 1980-'83

Really makes you think
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
OnlyForNow
AG
2700 Longmire?

I can't remember the number.
malenurse
AG
We bought when they were new. Ours was #1. On the corner of Longmire and Treehouse

Not to derail, but, paid about $40k financed at 17 3/4%

Thanks Jimmy Carter
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
OnlyForNow
AG
Same complex I was on the Deacon side.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Ok, now I gotta get in on this, from Sep. 89 - Dec. 92 I lived at 2813 A Longmire. We were at the end of town as in the last light going south.

Now there's a Wings & More there?!?!?! My how things change.
AgRyan04
Haha....that WnM has been there for at least 20 years
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OnlyForNow
AG
Since at least 1999, first time I took at the SAT and stayed with my sister who lived in that condo before me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.