Outdoors
Sponsored by

Alone 2023

6,939 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by JSKolache
PharmD4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Season premier starting now
Law361
AG
Thanks for the heads up
BradMtn346
So in episode 1 a "hunting guide" looses his quiver of arrows and can't retrace his steps to find it. I'm not the best tracker in the world, but I can backtrack 12 hours
AggieOO
I immediately rolled my eyes when he made the statement that he added no weight prior to the show bc it's not a starvation contest. What a narrow-minded view.

I don't think he makes it very far, but that probably means he wins.
PharmD4
AG
BradMtn346 said:

So in episode 1 a "hunting guide" looses his quiver of arrows and can't retrace his steps to find it. I'm not the best tracker in the world, but I can backtrack 12 hours

You'd think that even if you couldn't retrace your exact steps, you'd at least have a good feel for the general vicinity. Spend a little time each day looking for it as you collect your berries and set traps etc.

If it got snagged on a limb, chances are it's exposed/visible.

Reminded me of the guy last year who lost his fire steel in the first couple days and tapped.
BrazosDog02
AG
Any way to stream this without the damn commercials on history channel?
alvtimes
BrazosDog02 said:

IDk about streaming but I just record then tune in about 30 minutes late and FF thru commercials
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Skinny raft dude may be able to load up on fish early with his net building skill, but not sure if he can keep that up long enough. Interesting his family was so in to salmon, he should know how to preserve and ration it.

Also have no idea how you can have 10 things and not keep track or be so paranoid about it, but apparently he starts making arrows so we will see.

The clown who gets there and goes for a swim? Not going to last.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
BrazosDog02
AG
alvtimes said:

BrazosDog02 said:

IDk about streaming but I just record then tune in about 30 minutes late and FF thru commercials

I ditched my dish. And yttv doesn't have history channel. Not a huge deal but by the time I can watch alone, it's late and I usually fall asleep during the commercial. Hahahaba
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Immediately annoyed at the can't shoot this animal because it is protected species. This is a survival show, not a sport hunting show. I am also curious why they do not spend more time setting multiple traps.
AgGrad99
AG
Stringfellow Hawke said:

Immediately annoyed at the can't shoot this animal because it is protected species. This is a survival show, not a sport hunting show. I am also curious why they do not spend more time setting multiple traps.
Yeah, that always kills me every year.

'Cant shoot this animal until XX date' or when they cant use a gill net until 45 days in, etc. If you're surviving, you will do whatever you can.

You'd think they could get a waiver for 10 people to fish with a net. Im pretty sure the eco system of fish isnt that precarious.
TheVarian
AG
I think he's gonna fall in and he's gonna be SOL
AggieOO
or maybe the only reason they are given the permits for the show is that they follow local regulations.
AgGrad99
AG
AggieOO said:

or maybe the only reason they are given the permits for the show is that they follow local regulations.
Yes. I realize why they do it.

Like I said, you'd think they could get a waiver for 10 people to use a net a month early.
htxag09
AG
Plus it's hard to really say they are in survival mode. They can push a button and go home.
PharmD4
AG
What are your 10 items?

https://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/gear-list
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Can transition lenses be used to start a fire? I am wondering why they are on the prohibited list.
JSKolache
AG
In. Love this show. No one will ever beat Roland, ever. But i still watch. Curious if that one gal can finish a log shack without zapping all her energy and bailing.
htxag09
AG
First person tapped at day 17. That the longest they've all made it?
alvtimes
htxag09 said:

Gotta be right? Wife and I were talking about that last night….. seems like we've always seen people tap around day 5 previously.
htxag09
AG
alvtimes said:

htxag09 said:

Gotta be right? Wife and I were talking about that last night….. seems like we've always seen people tap around day 5 previously.

Or day 1 because you see bear crap
oklaunion
There always seems to be the quandary : Eat/forage/hunt or build? The lady who tapped out last night had a nice log shelter built. But she had nothing to eat. The fishermen are bringing in some really large fish but most seem satisfied to just stop after getting a couple.
I suppose early on when the weather is mild, the formula is hunt/fish like crazy and stash as much smoked and dried meat as possible then concentrate on shelter when they have the nourishment to replenish a day's work.

The cold and wind is going to be brutal eventually. That moss insulation on top of the current shelters won't be long for the world with 70 mph constant winds.
billyjack2009
It'll never be like watching the first few seasons because it's not a new concept for the viewer, but I feel like this is the best season than we've had in a while. I like that there hasn't been a token tap out loser in the first few days. No one went morbidly obese to just sit there and wait it out. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
oklaunion
Although maybe not obese, I thought I remembered a lady 2 weeks ago saying she packed on an extra 73 lbs. I think most will leave when the cold reaches epic proportions.
PharmD4
AG
Crazy how many contestants lose motivation to stay right after completing their shelters.
SchnauzerMom
I thought she said the extra pounds were due to the leg injury she sustained from being thrown from a piece of farm equipment. They showed some photos and there was mention of every bone in her leg being shattered, multiple surgeries, unable to move, yada, yada, yada.... Very possible I misheard though.
dmart90
AG
Interesting to see how the stress affects their thought processes. The one dude last night that was just about to tap out and then chases after a bear and eventually still taps - he was clearly not all there or thinking straight.
AG
It's still crazy to me that my wife can sit on the couch and casually watch while scrolling through her iPad and when the dude says he's going to put his fish in his little live well overnight, she says "idiot, you are going to lose them, didn't you just see a whole pack of otters?"

I still have no clue how some of these people don't know to immediately protect their food source, don't care how tired you are or how late it is. You got freaking protein and you think mother nature is going to leave it alone overnight.

Also bubble gut drinking lake water. She called him an idiot also.

Surprised tap out lady didn't fall right through that roof. Standing up there was a major stupid move, at worst, scoot along on your arse, but she did spend nearly three weeks not trying to get any protein to finish it. At least building a food cache on a ladder, you are trying to protect your reserves.

oklaunion
It's still crazy to me that my wife can sit on the couch and casually watch while scrolling through her iPad and when the dude says he's going to put his fish in his little live well overnight, she says "idiot, you are going to lose them, didn't you just see a whole pack of otters?"

The really scary thing is how they can do this and still know everything that is going on around them without apparently paying attention.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This Cade guy is the type of idiot that dies in the woods. Extremely over-sized estimate of his skills combined with stubbornness and zero sense of when to end it. He did absolutely nothing but starve. No shelter. No food. If he did shoot a bear, it would have spoiled and made him deathly ill within a week.

Mr. "It's Not A Starving Contest" passed out for an hour just a few weeks into this thing
AG
When he lost his quiver, you could still chalk it up to being dropped in, overwhelmed, dumb things happen...

Then the onion is peeled and you realize that no, dropping his quiver and not knowing where was just par for the course with this guy.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Exactly, and tons of hubris right out of the gate. That's what gets people killed in the outdoors. Most are doing well on fish, and he does nothing but search for a bear with his homemade arrows that couldn't kill a squirrel
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I was hoping he'd find his quiver as he was walking back across the field after tapping out.
12Power
Yeah and I told my wife as Cade is doing his exit interview that I see a fish over there by the bank looking up at him. He was definitely short sighted and over confident about his hunting skills.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, we were hoping to see a fish jump in the background
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.