Outdoors
Sponsored by

Back porch add on ideas

2,730 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JohnLA762
tsuag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since we moved in last year, I've been wanting to do something with this little flower bed next to my back porch. I've got a gas grill, 2 WSMs, a Weber Kettle, and soon to add a 36" Blackstone. Right now, the gas grill lives on the porch, and the other items sit on the side until they are needed. My thought is that this little flower bed should just be "paved" somehow to serve as my designated cooking area.

What's the fastest, easiest, and cheapest (I know) way to do this? Fill it in with sand and pavers? Concrete?

I'm open to ideas, but I'm a serious tight-wad, so the cheapest option that doesn't look trashy is probably what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
AggieOO
maybe start by adding a blind to the kid's bedroom window.
tsuag10
AG
See… What had happened was, our 4 yr old son thought it would be cool to see how many slats on those blinds he could break before he got in trouble. So I actually just removed the broken blinds prior to taking this picture.
ought1ag
AG
vote here for putting a slab over pavers
AggieOO
tsuag10 said:

See… What had happened was, our 4 yr old son thought it would be cool to see how many slats on those blinds he could break before he got in trouble. So I actually just removed the broken blinds prior to taking this picture.
4 year old, 2 year old, 2 dogs here, so....i have broken slats on multiple windows. i feel you.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Make sure you room in the budget for some weed n feed and fertilizer.
Aggietaco
AG
Cheapest option will be some weed barrier, yard of gravel or DG from your local supply yard, and a few 24x24 pavers to set your grills on.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Man up and do something bad ass that will increase the value of your home. A big covered patio with an outdoor kitchen. Spending a couple bucks on a bag of gravel and a prefab plastic pergola is not the way to do this.
A.G.S.
AG
Slab it.

Pavers are nice as long as ya REALLY prep it right, and don;t rush any of the steps, and then keep it maintained well, and then be prepared to repair it in about 5 yrs.

Concrete is nice as long as you can find a crew that halfway knows what they're doing. Just make sure ya put an appropriate slope on it.
AgTrip
Sorry to bombard you with tons of pics. I added an extension to the back patio and have used both slab and recently some pavers. The pavers were about half the cost We like how they both turned out.

Before. We extended the pea gravel patio.

Finished slab and pergola framed up.

Pergola does not actually attach to the house. I closed that gap with some aluminum sheet that goes into the gutter. Works nice.

Recently added pavers. Bringing in the sod next.

(Please disregard the worn-out curtains. They work great for blocking the wind on a cool night.)
CS78
That spot really needs a reclaimed brick patio. But don't just use sand to hold it together.

https://benriddering.com/ben/2010/01/06/make-a-path-from-used-brick-how-to
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Concrete is the best option.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
No judgment here, well I mean maybe a little...but why on earth would you cheap out on the posts and not use solid cedar? Are you at least planning to wrap those hideous pressure treated posts?
1Aggie99
AG
Do it right. Square off that bed and concrete it. Either extend current cover or at least a pergola. Gutters, bed rock, to move water away.

Plow up that yard and mix in some organic material to soften that ****ty soil. Water twice per week for longer periods. Once grass starts to take hold, sand it heavy and add more organic fertilizer.

Should be good by fall.
fullback44
AG
OP .. if want to go super super cheap .. rent a mixer from Home Depot and buy the concrete bags from Homedepot also …. They sell some Contrete wire as well ….

They sell blinds as well !
jeffk
AG
Whatever you do, I'd add gutters on that roof line.
JohnLA762
AG
The OP is just trying to avoid having to spread out the two bags of mulch that have obviously been sitting there since last season.

Is the wife really nagging that much?!?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.