Outdoors
Sponsored by

Buying a Home on Land, What are Things to Look For?

5,577 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cbr
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are mulling over buying a home on some property, about 20 acres. What are some things that we would need to look for that I wouldn't be aware of only having lived in the burbs? Home is on city water and sewer, but pasture and barn and what not is on well. There's a metal building shop, barn, and a couple other outbuildings. Cross fenced. I just want to avoid a problem that I didn't even know to look for. I appreciate everyone's input.
tandy miller
AG
Make sure the neighbor isn't running a hog operation or shooting a propane cannon
FJB
dtkprowler
AG
Internet and cell reception
Ranch Dressing
AG
Well service report.
ShouldastayedataTm
Where the boundary fences are compared to surveyed property lines.
AgResearch
AG
ShouldastayedataTm said:

Where the boundary fences are compared to surveyed property lines.

100% pay for a new survey
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Make sure there is enough room for your friends to come shoot dove.
Road condition.
Drainage.
Fence conditions.
How far to the city amenities and hospital.
Schools.
44mAG
AG
New survey and title investigation to make sure you know everything about the history and current status of the property.

If you put an offer in somewhere, I would take the time to take a few days off and just hang around the area to see what everyday life is like. Maybe a few week days then on a weekend. You don't want to find out that there is someone's private shooting range or that someone operates a trucking business next door.
BrazosDog02
AG
Definitely check the well for water quality so you can use that for the house and get off of the nasty city water.
mosdefn14
AG
Sheepdogs
Deer feeders on the property line
Chicken coops using your fence
Jack Squat 83
AG
#1 on my list would be confirm it's not in a flood plain, and once that's cleared figure out where heavy local rain goes. Ask neighbors if you need to and go out there if you can during a rain event.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
Sea Speed
AG
Barn flooded in Harvey and home has never flooded. Harvey flooding doesn't scare me necessarily, but back of property is in 500 year, home is in zone x
DriftwoodAg
AG
Deed restrictions
flashplayer
AG
We always check satellite images and have found it useful in illuminating negatives of some properties, like the neighbor's oil well pad that wasn't originally that noticeable on an initial visit, other random things that give us pause about how sloppy the neighbors are, etc. We found that with one property that was dry at the time - both neighbors stock tanks actually protrude across the fence line in wetter weather pretty significantly.

Would also check current property tax exemption status and what your taxes would be if you ever lose it.

If you're going to run cattle or other livestock, fences need to be in good shape because that is a huge expense if you don't DIY. You need to actually walk up to them and shake the wire and try to move a few posts. You'd be amazed how pretty a crappy fence can actually look from a short distance if it's not challenged by actual movement.
HumbleAg04
AG
Proximity to HEB.
The Catalyst
AG
If you commute, is the property East or West of where you work?
schmellba99
AG
Things I would recommend looking at:

1. Flood maps and how well it drains. If you can go take a look at it after a heavy rain, you'll see what the overall area looks like, roads, drainage, ditches, etc.
2. Condition of well pump, depth of well, etc. Should be able to get that info from the current owner. Find out if you can what type of pipe was used for distribution.
3. Condition of fences. Fences are maintenance and expensive.
4. Any equipment that will convey with the house - you'll need a tractor for sure on 20 acres. Tractors aren't cheap, if one conveys, all the better assuming it is decent or better condition.
5. Neighbors, neighbors, neighbors. Drive around the area and look at your neighbors as well. Nothing can make life more miserable than a butthole neighbor that doesn't keep their place up, etc.
6. Traffic. Go during morning and evening rush hour. May find that it takes a lot longer to get home or get to the shipyard than you think because of traffic.
7. Condition of roads...says a lot about how the county works in that area. Sounds dumb, but having a county commissioner or government that is responsive is a huge perk, especially when it comes to maintenance, drainage, etc.
8. Power lines and trees - losing power sucks. ARe the power poles old, leaning, not well maintained or do they look pretty solid?
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
500's the new 100 and X is the new 500
Sea Speed
AG
I get that. Home has never flooded so not too terribly worried. Almost anything in this part of the world is gonna touch some of the 500 imo. If this place didn't flood in Harvey I feel pretty good, but this is just in the first stages so who knows how it will go.
normaleagle05
AG
Nobody will disclose a toxic waste dump. At the very least go look at every old aerial available from tnris.org, Google Earth Pro, and historicalaerials.com.

Ask your surveyor for a COI naming you individually. It'll check that his insurance exists and if he balks you know to hire someone else.

Verify how far back your title was run. I've had 3 or more title companies tell me they only run 50 years these days under some circumstances. 1972 isn't far enough back.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Any easements or shared roads across the property? I'll never make that mistake again.
Wrecking Crew 21
Neighbors proximity and quality of neighbors!
Aggie 63
Jabin
Any private bridges on the property or necessary to access the property? If so, have them inspected thoroughly and make sure that they're all legally compliant.
devilriverag72
Proximity to wind or solar farms. Investigate power lines and the local sentiment to renewable construction.
rick rylander
FytinTexAg04
Surface depth of dirt. I've only got about a foot of topsoil and this affected plans for planting trees.
Sea Speed
AG
Will check out old aerials. Lots of fencing on the property which I already figured will most likely be a negotiating point.

Lot is about 600ft wide by 1800 ft deep. 2 neighboring homes. There is a power sub station somewhat close so ill need to see what is in the works for any expansion. My buddy is having the power company doing work by his house and even with his due diligence the power company came out of nowhere on that.

Something like this is exactly what I have wanted for my kids for so long so the prospects are extremely exciting. Small pond, decent stand of trees, shop, facilities for animals, etc etc. It isn't in the first place I would pick but the location will definitely do. I cant emphasize enough how excited I would be to get my kids on something like this.

normaleagle05
AG
That substation means there is a transmission line. Properties with a portion of the property within a mile of existing transmission are preferred for new solar farms. It makes the transmission connection permitting easier/cheaper.
Sea Speed
AG
Looking at the map it sure seems like the best places for a solar farm would be west of the substation. My luck though would be breaking ground next door on it the afternoon I close.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
tandy miller said:

Make sure the neighbor isn't running a hog operation or shooting a propane cannon
or sheep with sheep dogs, feeders near fence line, or neighbors within a five mile radius…:
regularjoe
AG
Mineral Ownership. You don't want to buy, and then get a call from the oil company that they are about to drill a well on your 20 acres.
Mas89
AG
Did it flood during Harvey? Get somebody who knows how to look up the aerial photo right after Harvey.

And talk to all the neighbors you can get to talk to you.
Sea Speed
AG
The barn did, not the home. I wouldn't mind seeing those aerials though.
Mas89
AG
normaleagle05 said:

Nobody will disclose a toxic waste dump. At the very least go look at every old aerial available from tnris.org, Google Earth Pro, and historicalaerials.com.

Ask your surveyor for a COI naming you individually. It'll check that his insurance exists and if he balks you know to hire someone else.

Verify how far back your title was run. I've had 3 or more title companies tell me they only run 50 years these days under some circumstances. 1972 isn't far enough back.
Good advice here. Had a phase 1 environmental done on a property recently and it showed an aerial photo from the 1930s showing multiple oil gathering tanks and wells on a 100 plus acre tract.

Knew it had some old wells on the far back of the property but the old gathering tanks up front none of the current neighbors remembered being there.
BKS_Aggie08
AG
Flooding, drainage, low lands that stay wet would be at the top of things to check for me
Jack Klompus
AG
Things I would look at in no particular order:
  • Floodplain (seems like you have this covered, but if Harris Co., consider effects of new floodplain mapping that is underway)
  • Historical aerials - look for dump sites, buried trash, wells, etc.
  • USGS quad maps to see what sort of area drains through your property to the nearest waterway
  • National Wetlands Inventory - that will give you some sort of idea of how long your property will stay wet
  • If you want to do something with the property (subdivide, develop, etc) down the road, a Phase I ESA might be beneficial to have.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.