Outdoors
Sponsored by

Buying a Home on Land, What are Things to Look For?

5,534 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cbr
Ag97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
See if you can find info via county planning on any future road projects. I just purchased 30 acres with a house last year and have since come to find out they may be expanding 2818 within 1/4 to 1/2 mile from our property. Not the end of the world but I'd rather not live that close to a city loop with all the traffic that will be associated with it.
Shoefly!
AG
mosdefn14 said:

Sheepdogs
Deer feeders on the property line
Chicken coops using your fence

Where everybody dumps their gut pile.
BlitzGD
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Definitely check the well for water quality so you can use that for the house and get off of the nasty city water.
Most likely the well is shallow if it is being used only for tanks and irrigation. Shallow wells (<50') are real cheap, as in the rig rate and pump are most the cost, versus a potable well which tend to be deep (250'+) and the screens, casings, are at least half the cost.
Quarterback can't throw the ball lying on his back.
Sea Speed
AG
BlitzGD said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Definitely check the well for water quality so you can use that for the house and get off of the nasty city water.
Most likely the well is shallow if it is being used only for tanks and irrigation. Shallow wells (<50') are real cheap, as in the rig rate and pump are most the cost, versus a potable well which tend to be deep (250'+) and the screens, casings, are at least half the cost.

Would I be able to use q well like that to build a 1 acre or so little pond?
Ag97
AG
For reference, I've got a pond a little over an acre. Well is 400+ feet deep. Trying to keep up with the heat and drought this summer I was running my well 12 to 15 hours a day every other day or so and could pretty much keep it at the same level. It cost me about an extra $10/day for every day I ran it trying to keep my tank from drying up.

I'm just not sure how hard it is on a home well to run it for those type of hours and intervals. I just hoped I didn't mess anything up doing it that way.
Sea Speed
AG
This is putting the cart way ahead of the horse but I would want to try and have a little winter duck habitat to get a couple cracks at some ducks in the season. Walking the property today I think it would be feasible.

Sea Speed
AG
Checked out the home and land today and my wife and I fell in love with the place. Just absolutely love it. The home is exactly what we have been looking for and the 2400sf shop is something I have wanted for over a decade.

There is a little dry creek running through the land and several spots that had a little standing water but I think the cows play a part of that as well as the general east Texas rural climate and topography. The pond is stocked and there is enough room to really make everything happen I want in our lives. It is hard not to submit an offer right away just because I've never looked at a property that checked as many boxes as this does.
Sea Speed
AG
Offer submitted. Fingers crossed.
Sea Speed
AG
Heard direct from the energy company that there are no current plans for the adjacent property. Maybe some slight additional electrical infrastructure in the future but nothing like a renewable project due to the small size of the parcel.
Furlock Bones
AG
maybe someone can help you figure out how to do it. but, i would want to know what easements exist and I'm not just talking utility/pipeline easements. i am talking about neighbors with access.
Sea Speed
AG
I have the survey and while I reckon neighbor easements may not be in there, I dont see any. Also, the way the property is set up, I don't see how any neighbors would have and/or need access.
normaleagle05
AG
Does the survey reference a title commitment?

20 acres is large for platted property, but is it platted/have a lot number?
Sea Speed
AG
Yes it does i pulled it up in the CAD.
Sea Speed
AG
Also I'm not sure what title commitment means. Sorry.
Matsui
AG
congrats to you!
normaleagle05
AG
Sea Speed said:

Yes it does i pulled it up in the CAD.

If it's platted you'll need to see the plat to know if there are any easements by virtue of the plat. Those may or may not show up on a boundary survey.

Sea Speed said:

Also I'm not sure what title commitment means. Sorry.

Title commitment is the document the title company issues telling you what your proposed title insurance does/does not cover, among other things. Schedule B of that will show known easements and be listed/addressed on some surveys. Is there a list of easements or a reference to a GF number?
normaleagle05
AG
You're also welcome to send me a copy of the existing survey and I'll review it and offer any comments/answer any questions you've got.

Still should get your own survey as mentioned early on page one if your offer is accepted.
Sea Speed
AG
If you give me your email I can send you what I have. I dont have the CAD id number offhand unless it is on the survey, but I did look it up when also looking at the power company plot of land. We haven't got as far as title. We arent under contract but are negotiating.
normaleagle05
AG
Sea Speed
AG
Got it you can delete. Thanks!
normaleagle05
AG
I got a reply typed and then actual work happened. I'll have to hit send in the morning at the office.
Sea Speed
AG
Not a problem at all. Thank you much.
flashplayer
AG
So…..any luck yet or are we still negotiating.
Sea Speed
AG
Still negotiating
flashplayer
AG
Let us know when you need a flurry of low ball offers to appear.
XpressAg09
AG
tandy miller said:

Make sure the neighbor isn't running a hog operation or shooting a propane cannon
I love that this became this year's "TEAR DOWN HIS FENCE"
Sea Speed
AG
I want to give a shout out to Normaleagle. He is very good at what he does and offered me a ton of info without asking for anything in return. One of the great things about this board.
Gunny456
AG
This is great advice Sea. Ask the owner and realtor if they are in any knowledge of ongoing or future actions of proposed transmission lines or pipelines to be run through the property. Check to make sure there are no known old utility easements on the property as they are oftentimes targeted as pathways/routes for these future projects.
Then go ask the neighbors if they are involved or know of any future plans of such.
Very important to check the local Sheriff's office for crime rates or bad areas around the property.
normaleagle05
AG
Thanks for the kind words. Happy to help.
cbr
AG
Good advice here but the real answer is get a good farm and ranch realtor who personally lives on a ranch first

I know such a person

Then do all the stuff here

Then talk to the neighboring landowners

Then talk to a local sheriff
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.