Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anyone seen a wolf in Texas?

6,290 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lknapp
Build It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Besides the supposed red wolf genes in the Galveston coyote population I've not really heard of any wolf sightings since the 80's.

A person I trust swears he saw a grey wolf in Panola County last week. He should know the difference between coyote and wolf. Says it was twice the size of a coyote.

BS or believe him? If it was south or west I'd be more of a believer.

I know folks that hunt all over the State. This is the first wolf tale I've heard.
Wodanaz
AG
Lots of people with pet wolf/hybrids. They get out like any other animal. Native wolves: nah.
schmellba99
AG
Twice the size of a coyote - 50-60 lbs. So he saw some type of husky mix running around.
Build It
AG
We talked about that. My guess is a wolf hybrid pet that escaped. He's not convinced.
AggiePetro07
AG
I saw a huge coyote in 2017 in the Athens area that looked way more like a wolf than it did a coyote.

I sat and watched it through binoculars for a good 5-10 minutes from about 50 yards.

I wont say it's a wolf, but if it didn't have wolf DNA in it I'd be very surprised.
Outdoorag011
My old boss who also hunts Panola county swears he saw a grey wolf. I'm sure it is some kind of husky or a big coyote.
nealan
I believe that he thinks he saw a wolf. But, I'm in the "someone's dog" camp. I live in Panola county and have for most of my life. We don't have wolves
Build It
AG
I'd be more of a believer if they weren't solo sightings. When they show up with a pack I'd take it more serious.
nealan
We have too many good old boys out with thermals at night and trail cameras up for wolves to be out there cruising around unknown
Build It
AG
I grew up with a place on the Lake in Panola County. We did see a black bear once on 84. Ursus convinced me it was a Louisiana bear that had been released at the State line and was lost. 1990 or so.
nealan
I'm way more likely to believe that
Naveronski
AG
The cougars on Nextdoor say they see wolves almost every week.
Furlock Bones
AG
just like caracaras eating all of those calves during birth. i'll believe it when some gets some actual photo evidence.
Maybe Next Year
AG
2018 I saw a red wolf on Matagorda island while duck hunting
angryocotillo
AG
A lot of the coyotes on the barrier islands have red wolf DNA in them and have physical characteristics similar to them
txags92
AG
I have. Back in the mid 80s at the Texas Zoo in Victoria when they were part of the Red Wolf captive breeding program. Cool animals. It was fun to go back and stand between the wolf enclosure and the coyote pen at dusk and get them both howling.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I have a hard time believing most folks and things they saw when they:

• Cannot tell the difference between a house cat and a mountain lion or "black panther"
  • Cannot tell the difference between a 125lb pig and a 300lb pig, usually stating the former as a "monster"
  • Will tell you the average Coyote weighs 60-70lbs

Not directed at anyone on this thread, just pointing out how many folks cannot accurately size things we see regularly, e.g. Pigs, yet are "sure" it is a 80-100lb wolf...
B-1 83
AG
nealan said:

We have too many good old boys out with thermals at night and trail cameras up for wolves to be out there cruising around unknown
Or black panthers
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Thaddeus Beauregard
Correct, there are no wild wolves living in Texas, and there is no such creature as the mythical black panther (melanistic mountain lion/cougar/puma). People claim to see a lot of things.
txags92
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

• Cannot tell the difference between a house cat and a mountain lion or "black panther"
  • Cannot tell the difference between a 125lb pig and a 300lb pig, usually stating the former as a "monster"

Not directed at anyone on this thread, just pointing out how many folks cannot accurately size things we see regularly, e.g. Pigs, yet are "sure" it is a 80-100lb wolf...
"But I know what I seen!"
NoahAg
Thaddeus Beauregard said:

Correct, there are no wild wolves living in Texas, and there is no such creature as the mythical black panther (melanistic mountain lion/cougar/puma). People claim to see a lot of things.
Nah man! My great uncle knows a game warden that saw a wolf. Unfortunately it got ambushed by a black panther before he could get a good photo.
Let's go, Brandon!
Aggie Infantry
AG
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
TarponChaser

Just to be contrary- haven't they proven that there is a not insignificant number of coyotes in SE Texas that are exceptionally large because they carry a large amount of red wolf DNA? If they're hybrids, does that count?
Thaddeus Beauregard
NoahAg said:

Nah man! My great uncle knows a game warden that saw a wolf. Unfortunately it got ambushed by a black panther before he could get a good photo.

I hate it when that happens! I had similar bad luck when I was videoing an alien craft landing in my driveway. I wasn't able to provide the footage to local news cause a Sasquatch ate my cell phone.
lknapp
I lived and worked in Lajitas for almost 4 years up until recently. Pretty sure I saw a few red wolves there. Way bigger than coyotes
AgEng06
AG
txags92 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

"But I know what I seen!"
"And I been hunting all my life!"
Maybe Next Year
AG
Photo came from a game camera in the city of Austin last week. Not claiming this a wolf, just thought I'd share.
angryocotillo
AG
lknapp said:

I lived and worked in Lajitas for almost 4 years up until recently. Pretty sure I saw a few red wolves there. Way bigger than coyotes

Lajitas would be within the historical range of the Mexican grey wolf and not the red wolf. So hypothetically.... on the very slim chance you did see a wolf, it was probably a Mexican grey wolf. However, they do not look similar to coyotes the way red wolves do.
Old Town Ag
AG
Panola County is well east of the historical Gray Wolf range. A Wild Red Wolf sighting is highly doubtful but a Wild Gray Wolf sighting is not credible.

Gray Wolf Traditional Range Map

P.S. I grew up in Panola County. The wildest most remote area's in Panola County could not conceal a wolf. Unless, Big Foot is keeping one as a pet!
RM1993
AG
Even avid hunters will grossly overestimate the size of a coyote. They get puffy in winter andtheir full coats can take on different color accents then people all of the sudden say they are seeing something different.

Just shoot a few you think look big and then see how big they are when you pick them up. Crazy how much the difference can be.
one safe place
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Have said almost exactly the same thing on all your bullet points, especially the "black panther" sightings. Another one is when people that are not really the outdoors type swear they saw a black bear. It is always at a distance, no binoculars or scope. What they saw was a large hog more likely than not.

As to accurately sizing things, our property is in two counties and the year before the 13" antler restriction went into effect in both counties, on opening day there were two 8 points and one 10 point killed, and the heads were on a low concrete wall at our cleaning station. As people would come to camp, we would get them to guess the width of the three deer. The guesses ranged from 11 or 12 inches up to like 18 inches. And they were only about 10 feet away from the deer heads.
JSKolache
AG
Ears, snout, and gait are the differentiators. Not size.

Link above has legit scientists doubting red wolves were ever a distinct species. Interesting...
fullback44
AG
Oh I've seen a few wolves .. after a bottle of tequila at deer camp when I was younger all the coyotes become wolves .. coons became black bear .. we saw all kinds of animals
JD Shellnut
AG
Build It said:

I'd be more of a believer if they weren't solo sightings. When they show up with a pack I'd take it more serious.

I'd agree that there are no wolves left in Texas. However, I had 2 separate incidents of seeing wolves while working in northern Minnesota last year. Both times it was a single wolf. No mistaking these guys for coyotes, both huge and very tall.
agsalaska
AG
I saw wolves in Alaska. They are not anytime like coyotes.

I saw a grey wolf once in Texas. It was in a hybrid cage/cow trailer/jail cell outside of the Bass Pro in Grapevine I think. They were headed to a sanctuary in Ohio.

He was massive. Pacing back and forth just staring back at the dozen or so of us that were staring at him. One of the handlers was standing between us and the cage making sure nobody did anything stupid.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.