Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ruger SFAR (Lightweight AR10/.308)

9,556 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by kyledr04
drummer0415
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's talk about this fairly new offering from Ruger. AR-10 308, coming in at a little over 6lbs, and a street price of around ~$1100. This seems pretty good to me. It even comes with an adjustable gas block too.

I've read a couple articles and watched a couple YouTube reviews and they all seem to be pretty positive on it.

Any opinions or input?
aggie4231
AG
Been looking at this myself.

Also looking at a used sig716 with sig bdx scope.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
SMM48
AG
Seems nice. Bout time someone did it
CentralTXag
AG
Interested in it as well.
Daddy-O5
AG
Saw Colion Noire's video on this one. Definitely interesting. Seems like a very good deal.
cledus6150
AG
So I just saw one at champion firearms and now I have one, it was very very light and that intrigued me. So I grabbed it and will hopefully get it all set up and have a range report before long!
BenderRodriguez
AG
cledus6150 said:

So I just saw one at champion firearms and now I have one, it was very very light and that intrigued me. So I grabbed it and will hopefully get it all set up and have a range report before long!

Appreciate you taking one for the team!
cledus6150
AG
Hahaha right, it already has the Q Cherry bomb installed, put a CMC 3.5 single stage in it already as well. Now I'm contemplating whether to put the 2-10 vx5HD I just picked up from another TexAg'er on it or put a 4-14x60 SHV FFP on it….so many decisions!
aggie4231
AG
Trying to remember where I saw one in San Antonio last week.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
AgEng06
AG
Man, that does look pretty sweet... https://ruger.com/products/sfar/models.html
AgEng06
AG
What was Champion charging for them?
cledus6150
AG
It was $995
AgEng06
AG
Oooh, that's sure tempting.
cledus6150
AG
Yep just ordered a few more parts for it to make it right, Magpul prs lite stock and VOLTR mod 4 charging handle. I really like that most all of the parts interchange with the AR-15 standard parts!
ls1aggie09
AG
POF Rogue says this ain't nothing groundbreaking or earthshattering…about $300 more though
cledus6150
AG

With LOP set at 13" overall length of rifle with can is 43", weight with scope and suppressor is right at 10pounds.
Hagen95
AG
Looks nice. I do have an ACOG needing a home and this rifle would fit the bill.
drummer0415
AG
cledus6150 said:

With LOP set at 13" over length of rifle with can is 43", weight with scope and suppressor is right at 10pounds.

I need this.
drummer0415
AG
ls1aggie09 said:

POF Rogue says this ain't nothing groundbreaking or earthshattering…about $300 more though

Get off my thread you POF homer.
RCR06
AG
Former co worker ordered one this week. I think he paid $960.
drummer0415
AG
RCR06 said:

Do you know or can you find out where from?
RCR06
AG
RCR06
AG
drummer0415 said:

RCR06 said:

Do you know or can you find out where from?

Kygunco.com

It's the third or fourth gun he's ordered from them and he said its always been a smooth experience.
bam02
AG
Yep they're listed there at $965.99.

I ordered an AR from Kentucky gun co. In 2018 and had a great experience.
drummer0415
AG
bam02 said:

Yep they're listed there at $965.99

Currently out of stock. I signed up for the email notification when they come back in stock though.
cledus6150
AG
So got to take the Ruger out to the range today, I am extremely impressed! I shot three different factory loads it was able to shoot under an inch "5-shot groups" with two of the three. It like the Hornady match 168gr BTHP and the Barnes Dual purpose 150gr JHP BT, it shot just over an inch with Federal premium 165gr TSX.

Final rifle mods:
Trigger tech single stage AR trigger set at 2 pounds
VLTOR mod 4 charging handle
Q Cherry bomb muzzle device
Magpul PRS lite stock (had to modify buffer tube to fit it) also had to swap to an end plate with no QD attachment.
Leupold single piece scope mount
Nightforce SHV 4-14x50mm FFP
NOMAD 30L suppressor with Q plan B adaptor

Ptery83
I didn't sign up for notifications but check periodically and always still out of stock. Have you had any luck?
cledus6150
AG
I know Burdett's got a couple in last week, they seem to be getting them fairly frequently. I'd also try calling champions they may be able to order you one from a vendor.
Tfrog
What buffer tube mods do you have to make for the Magpul PRS Lite stock
Jabin
I see that it comes in 16 inch and 20 inch barrels. What are the pros and cons of each?
cledus6150
AG
The lite stock requires a mail-spec buffer tube and the one the SFAR comes with isn't. I didn't feel like playing the game of will it work or won't it with a mil spec tube so I broke the dremel out and removed a bit of material from the buffer and bam the stock fit perfectly!
cledus6150
AG
You get a bit more velocity outta the 20" and with the 16" you get a very maneuverable length when you have a can on it!
kyledr04
AG
Hoping for a 6.5 creedmoor version
Tfrog
Great info. Thanks. I did not realize the tube was not mil-spec. Just assumed it was as everything is moving in that direction. I picked one of these up and was planning on putting the Lite on or Gen 3 on to (Gen 3 to counter weight a suppressor, but then we start creeping into AR10 weight). I have multiple other mil spec and commercial stocks. I'll try exchanging them out. Kinda of a duh moment. Should have just tried it out.
cledus6150
AG
Looks like Burdett's has a 16" in stock, I do not know the price just saw that they posted one!

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.