Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ruger SFAR (Lightweight AR10/.308)

9,558 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by kyledr04
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cledus6150 said:

So got to take the Ruger out to the range today, I am extremely impressed! I shot three different factory loads it was able to shoot under an inch "5-shot groups" with two of the three. It like the Hornady match 168gr BTHP and the Barnes Dual purpose 150gr JHP BT, it shot just over an inch with Federal premium 165gr TSX.

I can't get my bolt 308 to shoot groups that good
cledus6150
AG
I'm looking forward to trying some handloads in it to see just how good it will do!
jmazz
AG
I picked one up and followed Cledus' lead with the modifications except I dropped in a CMC single stage trigger and added a Dead Air muzzle break. The dremel-ing of the buffer tube to get the lite stock to fit was no big deal. I got it out to the range and had the gas block set to '1' and experienced some cycling issues (suppressed). I had set it to 1 at home as the manual says 'suppressed fire should almost always be done on setting 1.' I intended to set to 2 at the range and couldn't find the ball-end allen wrench to save my life (assumed I left it at home). Turns out...it's in the grip...oops. Haven't made it back out to the range yet but did enjoy shooting it and got it dialed in.
InfantryAg
AG
cledus6150 said:

So got to take the Ruger out to the range today, I am extremely impressed! I shot three different factory loads it was able to shoot under an inch "5-shot groups" with two of the three. It like the Hornady match 168gr BTHP and the Barnes Dual purpose 150gr JHP BT, it shot just over an inch with Federal premium 165gr TSX.

Final rifle mods:
Trigger tech single stage AR trigger set at 2 pounds
VLTOR mod 4 charging handle
Q Cherry bomb muzzle device
Magpul PRS lite stock (had to modify buffer tube to fit it) also had to swap to an end plate with no QD attachment.
Leupold single piece scope mount
Nightforce SHV 4-14x50mm FFP
NOMAD 30L suppressor with Q plan B adaptor

200 or 300 yards?

edit: I saw it's a chrome molly barrel, so 200 yards.
RCR06
AG
https://palmettostatearmory.com/ruger-sfar-7-62-308-ar-10-rifle-16-20rd-black-5610.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=daily_deals&utm_campaign=20230131&utm_term=afternoon
AgEng06
AG
I actually ordered one earlier today from PSA. Prices have gone up considerably since this thread was started. I think the MSRP is even higher now. Champion, when they are in stock, has them listed for $1,020 now, but then you have to be able to catch it and travel to CS.
drummer0415
AG
Since I am OP, I figured I should probably update that I did a thing. I already have the scope that's going to go on it, but I need to get a scope mount and an ASR muzzle device before I take it on its maiden voyage. Will update when I get to that. I will probably upgrade the tigger at some point in the future also.

16" AR15 for size comparison in last pic

AgEng06
AG
Just picked up my 16" SFAR the other day. Any reason I shouldn't jump on this deal for it?

Geissele SSA-E for $150

https://palmettostatearmory.com/geissele-super-semi-automatic-enhanced-trigger.html
Daddy-O5
AG
Really good triggers I just never like to pay for them (they're good, but not 300 dollars good compared to what else is available IMO). But at that price I'd go for it.
big ben
AG
Hmm, anyone need a NIB complete aero 10 lower
Deats99
AG
POF. already did this
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
drummer0415
AG
Well she's all dressed up and ready to go, finally.

Trijicon 2.5-10x scope mounted in new Larue QD mount

ASR single port muzzle break added so I can mount my SiCo Hybrid

Geissele SD-E trigger

Now I just need to find time to go sight it in before hunting season.

drummer0415
AG
I had to cut my range trip shorter than I wanted, so I didn't get my scope quite as dialed in as I want, but I was able to do a first outing with the SFAR today. It shot this group which I'm pretty happy about.

Morpholino
AG
It's an awesome gun. I was skeptical at first. But now I'm sold on it. I was ringing steel at 500 yards with an LVPO. Look forward to stretching it out even further.
kyledr04
AG
I'm hoping for a 6.5cm model. I don't have a 308 and don't really want another Caliber
Green2Maroon
AG
Why wouldn't you want another caliber? Although I would like a Creed.
kyledr04
AG
One more thing to stockpile although 308 would be easier and cheaper
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.