Outdoors
Sponsored by

San Antonio Trip

3,797 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SMM48
A.G.S.94
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Heading back to TX for the first time in a looong time and will be staying in SA for a few days. Looking for recommendations mainly for food, but also any "new" must-dos/must-sees. Any food is fair game.

I know there was a recent "texas trip" post, but the recommendations related to SA ended up being pretty sparse.

Appreciate ya'lls input.
agingcowboy
AG
I hardly ever go to SA, but last time we ended up at a Mexican place called Paloma Blanca. I don't know if it's rated good or not, but it hit just right for us that day. I'd go back just to give it another try.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
krosch11
AG
Go to the pearl. Lots of great options there . Stop at the hotel for drinks beforehand . Bar is incredible
A.G.S.94

Staying on Broadway and will be near both recommendations. Blanca looks like a great option. My sister has been telling me about hotel stella for years so will definitely be stopping there too.

Appreciate the info.

AnScAggie
AG
North, Downtown, South? Where are you staying? Chris Madrid's is worth a stop for burgers at lunch time if your are in the downtown/Pearl area.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
If you're there Thursday - Sunday, look up 2M Smokehouse on SE side of town. Solid BBQ!
txags92
AG
La Fonda on Main for upscale interior Mexican food. Rosarios in South Downtown for Tex-mex. La Fogata for casual Tex mex on the NW side. Freetail Brewery either out by 1604 and I-10 on the northwest side or south of downtown for good small batch beers and good pizza.

And +1 on Chris Madrid's for burgers.
A.G.S.94
AnScAggie said:

North, Downtown, South? Where are you staying? Chris Madrid's is worth a stop for burgers at lunch time if your are in the downtown/Pearl area.

Downtown off Broadway, but we'll be knocking around several days so open to just about any area of town if it is good enough to warrant the drive. Always looking for good local fair and hole- in- the- walls are a favorite as well.

Keep 'em coming!
B-1 83
AG
krosch11 said:

Go to the pearl. Lots of great options there . Stop at the hotel for drinks beforehand . Bar is incredible
$.25 quail legs at "Cured". Probably not any more.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
JB!98
AG
agingcowboy said:

I hardly ever go to SA, but last time we ended up at a Mexican place called Paloma Blanca. I don't know if it's rated good or not, but it hit just right for us that day. I'd go back just to give it another try.
I second Paloma Blanca. Very good food and drinks. Sit on the patio in the evening and enjoy.
INIGO MONTOYA
Josephine Street by the Pearl.
Carriqui is new and there as well - haven't been but it's very cool looking.

(Hotel Ella not Stella). 2nd the bar comment. Stay for a while.

You want nice - can't be beat Cappy's.
lawless89
Don't drive your f250 there if you have one.
A.G.S.94

Ella - my bad.

OB coming through as always.

Told my wife and daughter "give me a sec and i will have plenty of good options"

My daughter asked if i was on Reddit - I informed her the only source I trust in this day and age is the OB - even when ya'll are making s$%t up.
A.G.S.94
lawless89 said:

My wife wanted to go straight to the resteraunt before checking in. I joked that if we were in a Ford truck - no way! I do have several pieces of gear in the van though, so will be checking in first just to be safe.
agfan2013
AG
2M smokehouse for the best bbq in SA, especially worth a stop if you're living out of state and missing good Texas bbq.
SanAntoneAg
AG
lawless89 said:

Beat me to it!
SanAntoneAg
AG
The margs at La Fogata are potent
aggietb
I'd recommend Tycoon Flats for burgers over Chris Madrids it's in the same area. And it's hotel Emma at the Pearl lol but yes the bar inside is really cool! Outdoor bar places if the weather is nice go to burleson yard, El Camino, or elsewhere all in broadway area.
AggieOC
AG
Downtown San Antonio is always nice to take an evening by the river walk. There is plenty of restaurants to choose from. My family really enjoys going to Mi Tierra food is ok the bakery is money and you can take a walk across into the mercado.

Definitely check out 2M BBQ and Chris Madrids.
TXAG 05
AG
Also Pinkertons downtown is great.
A.G.S.94

Thanks again to everyone for the recs.

My wife has only been here once and my daughter never has. Looking forward to showing them around.
Texanick
AG
La Tuna is a great place for a late afternoon beer. Also, check out El Buccanero (the one on Bitters and 281 has a great churro stand out front). Longhorn Burgers are better than Chris Madrids but restaurant doesn't have as much history. Tejas Rodeo is always a fun Sat night. Lastly since you are downtown, I'd recommend stopping by Paris Hatters.
FunkyTownAg
AG
Go see the other missions as well as the Alamo. If you want to be active you can get to all of them on bikes along the trail. Queso Pan y Vino for incredible pizza or Taqueria Los Cuates across the street for authentic Pastor tacos.
Neches21
Check out the Witte Museum.
It's a fantastic museum that covers natural history and Texas history.
CCred92
AG
Cappys on broadway is good
SoTxAg
AG
Just to clarify, it's the "Hotel Emma" named after Emma Koehler who is part of the interesting history of the old Pearl Brewery.
Ag by Association
Hotel Emma
Apache
AG
The Esquire Tavern has good food & I love the vibe.

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
If you are going to be near the Alamo area and have 30 minutes or so, go have a beer at the Menger Bar.

Might check out the Botanical Gardens if you are into that.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Allen76
AG
Apache said:

The Esquire Tavern has good food & I love the vibe.

Longest bar in Texas
Allen76
AG
If you happen to be in the mood for a good breakfast early in the day, try one of the two Magnolia Pancake Houses. You will not be disappointed. But they do close in early afternoon.
SECAg13
AG
La Gloria near Pearl is pretty dang good.
agenjake
Agreed.

Go to Josephine Street. Their burgers are excellent. And so is everything else they serve.

agenjake
Schilo's deli for good German lunch. Get the root beer on tap.
Brazos1865
AG
Schilo's is no slouch for breakfast, either.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.