Outdoors
Sponsored by

Run N Gun

22,822 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by FamousAgg
FamousAgg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd like to see the Rivals results. A few of the ROs commented that some of shooting times were near the top, but I think I was early and maybe the good shooters had not rolled through yet. I only see series scores posted for the 2024 events
jrb2019
AG
Easier to view on a computer. There's a button or dropdown menu in the upper right to select series, rival and team scores.
JoeAggie1010
HR3-Pole Pen ResultsHR3 Pole Pen ResultsFamousAgg said:

I'd like to see the Rivals results. A few of the ROs commented that some of shooting times were near the top, but I think I was early and maybe the good shooters had not rolled through yet. I only see series scores posted for the 2024 events
In the upper right hand area, select Rivals, Series, or Team.

Results
https://www.oedefense.com/copy-of-2024-rancho-potrillo
FamousAgg
Thanks. Couldn't see the drop down on mobile. Definitely can see some scoring issues. I think I saw one competitor with a negative or zero run time between stages. Needs a quick quality control sniff test
FamousAgg
Just saw this one online, I'm not familiar with the company

5-10k
7 stages
August 9-11
Tennessee Colony Tx
https://www.challengetexas.com/event-2
jrb2019
AG
Thanks. I'm looking for my next one. August sounds rough though!
FamousAgg
Agreed
BenderRodriguez
AG
Yeah run and gun in Texas in August sounds….sub optimal.

My achilles is finally 95% mended, so hoping to get back in R&G shape by this fall.
JoeAggie1010
**Disclaimer, no TLDR version**

I finished my second OED run and gun at Venado Ranch, Bandera, Tx. During this event, I competed on Friday, then RO'd (Range Officer) for the second and third day. Friday, day one, is for RO's and staff to compete over the seven mile course. Saturday was the individual, and Sunday for teams.

Friday, day one. My day began around 0745, and finished around 1230-1300. The course was the most challenging course I have faced, even factoring in my military career. I was unable to complete any of the seven stages. My pistol performance improved based on my new purchase, a Canik Rival SFx Rival. Regarding my rifle performance, it improved slightly since my previous match. With that said, time to put it more work.

Saturday, day two. I RO'd stage one with two other gentlemen. Stage 1 was setup at position 1, with four rifle targets, which required two hits each. Once complete, go safe then transition to pistol with 3 hits on target. Before repositioning to point 2. Shooter acquires two rifle targets with two hits each.

Sunday, day three, final team event. I transitioned to stage 5, was a separated sniper and carbine shooter challenge. The stage had two 5' ladders, (L1) and (L2), positioned placed left and right of two small concrete silos. Where as the carbine shooter 30-40 yards inside a barn with 3 points, (P1), (P2), (P3). Communication was key for this iteration. The team moves from the start position to L1. The sniper is required to have both feet off the ground, then proceeds to engages one target with two hits. Then the carbine shooter beats feet to the barn at P1. The carbine shooter is required to engage each target twice. Each shooter must wait for their teammate to engage all targets, before their teammate begins to engage.

My overall thoughts and might be a little scatter shoot. The owners are highly engaging and helpful. Every competitor is as friendly and helpful. This was my second shoot and was able to learn different ways to approach my setup and performance.

As you can see in the picture, I was running a 7 mag chest rig, drop holster, rifle with an LVPO, small water hydration backpack, pants and shoes. For my next event I'll be running a minimalist setup. First will be shorts with some flexible knee-brace type pads. Next, if funds allow, will be a two rifle mag or two pistol mag pouches on the belt. Remaining mags to be stored in my back pack.

Weight versus tools will always be a factor. Shooting on stage is not your typical range. You will have targets which are difficult to acquire, difficult to find a suitable firing position, and difficult to finish within time.

If interested, learn more @ OED.

Pics

jrb2019
AG
Congrats on completing your second R&G and for being an RO. Curious if there were any scoring problems at this one.

I totally agree on the minimalist approach to the gear. I've only done 4 so far and keep trying to reduce weight (including me). I carried a small camel back with water at WTF, but only carried 2 .5L water bottles on my chest rig for the others. 5 rifle mags and 6 pistol (both have + 5 base pads). Went so far as a smaller/lighter holster, removed lights (all daytime events), lighter barrel on rifle. Every bit helps. Also get out and run with your gear!

I'm going to try and get to RWR next month.
JoeAggie1010
jrb2019 said:

Congrats on completing your second R&G and for being an RO. Curious if there were any scoring problems at this one.

I totally agree on the minimalist approach to the gear. I've only done 4 so far and keep trying to reduce weight (including me). I carried a small camel back with water at WTF, but only carried 2 .5L water bottles on my chest rig for the others. 5 rifle mags and 6 pistol (both have + 5 base pads). Went so far as a smaller/lighter holster, removed lights (all daytime events), lighter barrel on rifle. Every bit helps. Also get out and run with your gear!

I'm going to try and get to RWR next month.
While I was there, I didn't run across any scoring issues. After running stages, we input the score and write the score down for cross reference. So I can't speak to the issues of the past.

Preparing for HR3, I ran moved with 30 pounds on my back, attempting to replicate weight. Trying to replicate hill training is difficult. Stadium is a benefit, but the rocky terrain is something that is difficult to mimic.

I'm signing up for RWR shortly, so I'll be looking for you if your there.
JoeAggie1010
I forgot to post here in this thread, so here are my thoughts on RWR (Rivers West Ranch), Breckenridge, Tx. I once again RO'd (Range Officer) and had a great time.

This course was significantly shorter than Venado (Bandera, Tx), as the course was in range of 5.5 miles. Also, this course, had it challenges when compared to the steep hills at Venado. The first stage was a short walk, taking around 7 minutes. The stage was a mix pistol rifle, and first stage completed for the day. Also, there were 8 stages compared to the typical 7 for the series event.

Moving to stage two, well, it had it's own unique challenge. I trekked about 5 minutes, trying to follow the trail flags, which ultimately lead to the banks of a creek. I stared at this thin blue rope with loops for hand holds, with the tail lacking a hand hold. It took me a few moments to determine the best way, to proceed down. Once I found bottom, I was attempting to get my footing and my rifle muzzle found the mud. I washed my muzzle with creek water and begin my journey.

As I began traveling down the creek, the problem became obvious, between trying to maintain balance in an unknown bottom. Or, take the high ground with thick scrub oak and identifying the route flags. I chose the high ground.

The rest of the course fun, which was pistol heavy. I took the minimalist approach, going in shorts, long sleeve fishing shirt, and a belt rig. Regarding the belt rig, it worked great compared to my chest rig, but had one great issue that surfaced at stage 5. My belt had two pistol and one rifle holsters. Stage 5 was all rifle, and on my second to last target, I rifle bolt locked to the rear, and I had no more ammo readily available. By the time I secured another mag from my back pack, time was up.

As mentioned, the course was pistol heavy, by the time I finished stage 6, I knew my ammo supply would be exhausted. When I arrived at stage 8, I only had seven rounds remaining. Yep disappointing to say the least. More so because it was a great pistol rifle stage. To put it in perspective, I had burned through almost 200 rounds. On the other hand, I still had four mags of rifle ammo left.

All in all, this was my third match and competed four stages, compared to one in the previous to events. I put in the work regarding fitness and range time. I put in the miles with weight, while the RMR sight for my pistol increased my accuracy significantly. I could have easily completed two more stages if my ammo wasn't a factor.

Thoughts for my improvement.
1. Carry more ammo
2. Purchase a small rifle mage pouch for my chest strap
3. Organize my full / empty rifle mags in back pack
4. Wear compression pants under shorts

jrb2019
AG
I was seriously considering attending, but given my previous frustrations with OED scores, I decided to sit this one out. Seems like they did post the results online much faster than the last 3 or 4 events so hopefully they're getting the system sorted out. Loved RWR last year.

I did get registered for WTF in October and look forward to that. Standing invitation for anyone that wants to come out, run some trails and do some shooting to test your gear ahead of your next RnG.
JoeAggie1010
I believe they fixed / improved scoring. At RWR, the RO running with the shooter would write down the time, show the timer time and written score to the shooter, then, then the checkout RO would have the shooter confirm their time, and finally have the shooter hit the "approve" button. Scoring issues were near non-existent, and awards were presented earlier.

I won't be able to attend the night Pole Pen match, but planning on Still Waters Rivals.
BenderRodriguez
AG
What problems were you having with your chest rig?

Thanks for the write ups, I am seriously grumpy to be missing out on RnG right now. I re-tore my partially torn Achilles in May. Before the accident I had even been on a couple runs and everything seemed to be better…i was healed and on my way back. Now, not so much.
JoeAggie1010
Not so much of an issue, but more of freedom of movement. When transitioning to rifle, or vice versa, it was in the way to an extent. Also, it allowed my body to breath, so that was a benefit.

I may toy with my the setup, but overall, I liked the simplicity of a belt and a couple of mag pouches on the belt.

I hope you get healed up so we can meet up in the future. Nothing is more aggravating as having injuries. Get well soon!
Wycliffe
Has anyone done WTF Arkansas? Sign up is Aug 20. I'm considering it.
lazuras_dc
AG
I've got my first run n gun in Leakey this October. I've gathered all my gear. How much extra ammo do you take ? Ie. if the site says the course is 100 rds rifle and 100 rds pistol total for a 2 man team. I was thinking 100 rds each a person (so double the minimum?) or is that overkill ?
Wycliffe
Good that you signed up for one! I would say 2-3 times the hit count depending on how confident you are in your abilities. I would figure out what you think you need and then take more. Or you can play the weight saving game and risk running out.
jrb2019
AG
I've generally carried around 2x the round count. Depends on the breakdown between rifle and pistol though. I'm more confident on the pistol side so I usually give myself extra rifle rounds. If the whole course is an unknown, I'll carry an extra mag of each. If it's like WTF where the course appears to be fairly consistent, I'll go with what worked before.
Zaiquiri
AG
Anyone else going to the OED Stillwaters Ranch? I'll be running the rivals on Sunday.
FamousAgg
Bump, I'm in the rivals 11:00am slot on Sunday

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.