Outdoors
Sponsored by

Balloon Releases

5,855 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IIIHorn
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just became aware of someone planning a balloon release as a memorial. I am not an environmentalist but ballon releases are so problematic for wildlife. I am working very hard on keeping my mouth shut on this one and not being a Karen.
agnerd
AG
Post up with a BB gun and work on your aim once the release starts. If anyone has a problem with it, tell them you're just trying to prevent them from getting a fine for littering.
Ogre09
AG
Thank you for sharing this with us.
combat wombat™
AG
Ogre09 said:

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I'm glad I improved your day in a meaningful way.

Posting here was my way of getting it off my chest and letting people to mourn without intruding.
docb
AG
Pretty much the only trash I find on my ranch is about 4-5 mylar ballloons a year that drop in. I'm guessing they are coming out of San Antonio to Blanco county?
Ogre09
AG
Figured. Good way to vent.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Anyone make a biodegradable ballon? I thought they'd break down pretty quickly
AG
There have been billions of balloons released around the world over the years and wildlife seems to be doing fine.

These folks are mourning a human life lost. Let them be
combat wombat™
AG
That's what I'm doing.
TX_COWDOC
AG
You're not being a Karen at all. First rumenotomy I performed after I graduated was in a chronically bloated 3 weight calf. Guess what I removed? A mylar balloon and about 10' of curly ribbon. I've had the same opinion of balloon releases ever since.......someone's cattle many miles from the release point will be affected. Calves are curious and will lick / eat / ingest plastic bags, balloons etc. Not too much of a stretch to assume wildlife are similarly affected.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I realize you are not asking for suggestions, but a butterfly release is a good alternative.

Just make sure there is not a carnivorous bird flock nearby!
harge57
AG
I have found them in some very remote mountains.

Oddly enough I have noticed that I typically find them where elk like to be. I think it has something to do with thermals sucking into that area.
JB!98
AG
Mylar balloons also cause electrical outages. They get across the conductors and burn causing the circuit to operate.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Ogre09
AG
So I'm hearing stick to latex…
RM1993
AG
4 said:

There have been billions of balloons released around the world over the years and wildlife seems to be doing fine.

These folks are morning a human life lost. Let them be
This is short sighted. We routinely find Mylar balloons on our place and since we have cows it is a real issue. Cows are stupid and will eat them - as another poster noted. We pick up a dozen to a couple of dozen per year and if we didn't then the situation would be way worse because the mylar stuff doesn't break down very readily. the plastic grocery sacks that environmentalists freak out about break down way faster and are probably more digestible from a wildlife/livestock standpoint.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Back in elementary school, the whole class released balloons with each kids contact info on them hoping for a penpal. I don't think anybody got molested or abducted from this, but I don't think my kids will get this opportunity in school.
tk111
AG
tk111
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Back in elementary school, the whole class released balloons with each kids contact info on them hoping for a penpal. I don't think anybody got molested or abducted from this, but I don't think my kids will get this opportunity in school.
haha wow wtf
Picard
AG
I thought there was a helium shortage, no?

htxag09
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Damn, your school sucked. Granted, we were older, high school, but we took a field trip offshore fishing. While out there, we released a note in a bottle with info on our class and our teachers contact info. Someone contacted him, don't remember where from, but know it was a different country.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
We found a bottle with a note in it washed-up on shore in Mazatlan Mexico. Was covered in clams and stuff. Had been afloat for about 6 months. Note was in Spanish.
Aggieangler93
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

We found a bottle with a note in it washed-up on shore in Mazatlan Mexico. Was covered in clams and stuff. Had been afloat for about 6 months. Note was in Spanish.
Por favor envia cerveza a mi casa. Muchas Gracias!

(ETA...can't type in englich or spanich today for sum reeeeson)
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Apache
AG
Quote:

I just became aware of someone planning a balloon release as a memorial.
Trees are a far, far better memorial. FYI fellas, make mine a Mesquite. Tough, twisted, native Texan & known to be a pr*ck sometimes.
Ragoo
AG
docb said:

Pretty much the only trash I find on my ranch is about 4-5 mylar ballloons a year that drop in. I'm guessing they are coming out of San Antonio to Blanco county?
we find them all the time on our property in stockdale.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
tk111 said:

What is it with Ohio and stunts?
FamousAgg
Balloons should be indoors
zooguy96
AG
Funny story -

When I worked at the Balcones Canyondlands Preserve, I found a balloon with a house made of construction paper in a tree while doing a vegetation survey. It looked like some kid had made it. I brought it back to the office.

Before I had even found it, our office had gotten a call from a heartbroken 7 year old who was wondering if we had seen it. It was his class project.

Needless to say, I was able to make a kid's day be returning his project. We later invited his family on one is our hikes.

That was a good day.
DannyDuberstein
AG
When I die, no balloon releases, no funeral, none of this BS. Book a place where everyone can consume many drinks, swap stories, and have a good time.
Burdizzo
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

"Bring This Card for Free Admission to Boys Town"
jackie childs
combat wombat said:

I just became aware of someone planning a balloon release as a memorial. I am not an environmentalist but ballon releases are so problematic for wildlife. I am working very hard on keeping my mouth shut on this one and not being a Karen.
dumb idea, unless it's a memorial for this guy

Burdizzo
AG
combat wombat said:

Ex-husband of a high school friend had this as his headstone

Some people...
Burdizzo
AG
agnerd said:

Post up with a BB gun and work on your aim once the release starts. If anyone has a problem with it, tell them you're just trying to prevent them from getting a fine for littering.

Screw the bb gun. Used a shotgun with No. 8.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I found a balloon with a small note tied to it caught in a barbed wire fence on my place. It was faded and weathered. It was a note from a mom to her deceased son.
RM1993
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

I found a balloon with a small note tied to it caught in a barbed wire fence on my place. It was faded and weathered. It was a note from a mom to her deceased son.

So it was pointless and we all would have been better served if she simply wrote the note and burned it on a plate to send the message wherever TF she thought the balloon was going!

Harshe, I know.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Every couple of years I pick up a couple of Mylar balloons out of my pasture. Stupid calves will eat them, also plastic grocery bags. I lost a nice calf to a dang big plastic bag that blew in.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.