Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rattle Can Paint Jobs

17,701 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by BenderRodriguez
Lonestar-aught-six
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm really torn on painting a 2800$ rifle. Just looking for thoughts, opinions, and pic. TIA
CS78
Do you think you might sell it? That will give you your answer.
Lonestar-aught-six
I don't think I will but there's a part of me that doesn't want to screw up the valve.
JB!98
AG
Lonestar-aught-six said:

I'm really torn on painting a 2800$ rifle. Just looking for thoughts, opinions, and pic. TIA
I have rattle caned three of my AR's and one long range rifle. None of them cost $2800 or even close! I love a good rattle can job on a gun, but a $2800 rifle, probably not. Do a cerakote job on it or something high end.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
BenderRodriguez
AG
Lonestar-aught-six said:

I don't think I will but there's a part of me that doesn't want to screw up the valve.

If its a high dollar gun, the hit you take if you sell will be smaller than rattlecanning a common $600 gun, because someone will want a "deal" on the gun. Easy enough to move a $2800 gun for $2400 even if rattlecanned (and paint can be removed).

Ill rattlecan my MCX if you rattlecan your gun. (Its a trap, I'm going to rattlecan my gun either way)
Lonestar-aught-six
JB!98 said:

Lonestar-aught-six said:

I have rattle caned three of my AR's and one long range rifle. None of them cost $2800 or even close! I love a good rattle can job on a gun, but a $2800 rifle, probably not. Do a cerakote job on it or something high end.

Just to be clear it's scope included. Probably 2000$ in just the gun.
JB!98
AG
Lonestar-aught-six said:

JB!98 said:

Lonestar-aught-six said:

Just to be clear it's scope included. Probably 2000$ in just the gun.
Yeah, the long range gun I am talking about is a REM SPS Tactical that I had a little bit of work done to. Still about half of what you are talking about. But, to each their own. If you do it, post pictures!
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
JSKolache
AG
What are yall spraying with? High temp stuff or regular flat finish.
tandy miller
AG
I just did the stuff that would be easy to swap for now. I want to see how it holds up and wears before I do the whole thing

FJB
JB!98
AG
tandy miller said:

I just did the stuff that would be easy to swap for now. I want to see how it holds up and wears before I do the whole thing

You have essentially just "Put in the tip." Go ahead and go all the way. The wear gives it some character and can always be touched up. AR's I think are meant to be rattle caned. They just look better to me, it gives them an identity. Just do the whole damn thing and work on it from there.
tandy miller
AG
I'd like to do this pattern but not sure how it was done. I really like multicam. Only thing I can think is make stickers, and repaint the whole gun diff color each time you put a new batch of stickers on

FJB
dubi
AG
I have a custom $28 paint job on my PCC courtesy of Mr Dubi.

JB!98
AG
tandy miller said:

I'd like to do this pattern but not sure how it was done. I really like multicam. Only thing I can think is make stickers, and repaint the whole gun diff color each time you put a new batch of stickers on

I will keep up the sexual innuendo. I realize that this is your first time and that can be scary, it was for me. Take my advice and just go all in. I tried the netting, I tried the placing leaves in certain places and then moving them, none of it was satisfying. Go to Wal-Mart and buy every color of flat camo Krylon that they have.

Base coat the gun in olive or brown. Then slowly go to work. Tiger stripe it and see if you like it. Mottle it from there is you don't like the tiger striping. Do something else crazy and you might like it. Just go nuts with it. I don't think you will regret it. Trying to be precise does not work all that well in my experience.
SMM48
AG
That may be a water transfer job, def not paint.

Example. You can find one in your area. Maybe call a gun shop and ask who they know.

https://jfeusa.com/

https://jointforceenterprises.tumblr.com/
MyNameIsJeff
AG
tandy miller said:

I believe Primary Arms sells stencils for various types of camo. Might be just what you're looking for.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-multiple-terrain-stencil-pamts-pamts
Caliber
AG
You can buy all kinds of vinyl camo stencils on Etsy as well as lots of websites or if you know someone with a Silhoutte or cricut vinyl cutter, you can cut you own.

I did my Grendel with Duracoat using a cheap harbor freight Airbrush kit and Kryptek stencils that I cut on our vinyl cutter. Doing another, I would consider just rattle canning it as well but the Duracoat has been super durable so far. This was my first one, so not perfect but worked out pretty well.

FSGuide
Yesterday I finished a rattle can job on a budget build I did last year. It was my first attempt. Started off with a tan base. Tried a couple different stencils I bought on line but I couldn't get them to sit right so there was some over spray / leakage. I ended up repainting it all tan and then using hand cut strips of painters tape to do a tiger stripe pattern with olive drab. It's not perfect but I'll leave it. I think it will look better over time as it gets handled and hauled around in the Mule and ATV.
-------------------------------------------------------
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
schmellba99
AG
JSKolache said:

What are yall spraying with? High temp stuff or regular flat finish.
Cerakote, Duracote and Aluma Hyde
tk111
AG
The idea that rattle can painting your AR will reduce the value is approaching fudd status. Right now there are probably still a bunch of folks out there that might turn their nose up when they see it but that perception is fading fast. Hell people are paying extra for the "battle worn" look on some of these things now. Just about every guntuber out there has, at this point, made multiple token 'how to rattle can your ar' videos.
lexofer
AG
I think about the intended function of my guns and not their resale value. If I'm going to use it hunting, or just like the look, I'd rattle can it. If my kids get a little less selling it after I die, oh well.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Might rattle can a gun or two this week.

Caliber
AG
I'll bite...

What's up with the Gold?
water turkey
Quote:

I'll bite...

What's up with the Gold?
Trigger....
RK
AG
Cartel Special.
Burdizzo
AG
Caliber said:

You can buy all kinds of vinyl camo stencils on Etsy as well as lots of websites or if you know someone with a Silhoutte or cricut vinyl cutter, you can cut you own.

I did my Grendel with Duracoat using a cheap harbor freight Airbrush kit and Kryptek stencils that I cut on our vinyl cutter. Doing another, I would consider just rattle canning it as well but the Duracoat has been super durable so far. This was my first one, so not perfect but worked out pretty well.

If that was a copperhead, I would have stepped on it.

Nice job.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Caliber said:

I'll bite...

What's up with the Gold?

It was a joke.

…probably.

We will see when I get around to painting
Lonestar-aught-six
This I got to see.
AggieBarstool
Nothing makes a weapon look like a cheap toy more than a rattle can paint job, good or not.
Take that in to consideration.
Wycliffe
The deception is pretty much the entire point of doing it.

Making it look a little less like what it is, is very much taken into consideration.
Caliber
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Nothing makes a weapon look like a cheap toy more than a rattle can paint job, good or not.
There he is, the Buzzkill!
javajaws
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Caliber said:

I'll bite...

What's up with the Gold?

It was a joke.

…probably.

We will see when I get around to painting

A little gold goes a long way!

In all fairness I had built this one for my wife this way because she has a heart of gold....and yes that earned me some extra fun that night lol.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
BenderRodriguez
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Lol.

cuz-i-can
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Do you know how I know you never carried a gun for a living?
AggieArcher17
AG
Did these 2 with a combo of netting and painters tape a few years ago. Held up great and have been run through the ringer!

Lonestar-aught-six
I've carried a gun for a living most of my life, and I've never needed anything other than black. Guess that's why I was asking. I'm leaning towards it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.