Outdoors
Sponsored by

Concrete Trough Pools

9,169 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgTDub
909Ag2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm thinking about doing something like this at our ranch. Anybody have any experience with these kind of tank pools? Wondering about cost, maintenance, etc? Sounds like they are WAY cheaper than a regular pool and I think they look great for a ranch pool.

https://yesketanksandpools.com/pool-gallery/

"They weren't raiding a Girl Scout troop looking for overdue library books."
Jason C.
AG
Pilas
909Ag2006
AG
That's exactly what they are. Do you know what it costs to get a pila installed?
"They weren't raiding a Girl Scout troop looking for overdue library books."
Wodanaz
AG
If ranch is in Texas, the water will be so hot nobody will ever go in it unless you have a deep side. Will burn through chlorine like crazy if not & you'll be chasing water balance forever. Need shade, but preferably not a tree. Best bet would be to drain & refill with well water when you're out there if it's a shallow pool only.
AgTDub
AG
No idea what it costs as it was existing when we bought the place but our is amazing.

Natural limestone ledge bottom that steps from 3' to 8' along the natural grade. Roll on coating to seal everything and keep the 68* well water in. No filtration but we drain and chlorinate during the summer. Makes the hot days survivable on our place that can get pretty dry and desolate in the summer.

Also, the shallow end makes for a great spot to dove hunt in September .

water turkey
That looks awesome!
AgTDub
AG
When we drain it in the spring to get ready for summer there are usually turtles, frogs and perch in it that get "relocated". Always strange to me considering the nearest live water to us is probably the Devils River about 20-30 miles further west.
TecRecAg
AG
Living in the concrete jungle of Dallas my whole life I didn't even know this was a thing.

Hello bucket list…
AnScAggie
AG
I have two, one is a hot tub and the other is a pool (both were there when we bought the ranch) and I'm not sure I'd ever add one. Our pool is made exactly like a pila, same depth across and no steps, seating or anything like that, the hot tub does have have seating and jets but that's pretty much it. Even given today's costs I think you're better off building a round pool to look like a pila, than have what I do which is a wider, shorter pila with a single skimmer.
Mas89
AG
AgTDub said:

No idea what it costs as it was existing when we bought the place but our is amazing.

Natural limestone ledge bottom that steps from 3' to 8' along the natural grade. Roll on coating to seal everything and keep the 68* well water in. No filtration but we drain and chlorinate during the summer. Makes the hot days survivable on our place that can get pretty dry and desolate in the summer.

Also, the shallow end makes for a great spot to dove hunt in September .

This thread might cost me some money. I see myself sitting in a lounger in a tank shooting birds. Think I could design a shallow end with bird landing spots.
Aggieangler93
AG
I'm in to help test that out. Will bring cold beer and camo trunks.
Mr. Dubi
I hate you guys. I am now looking at these for my back yard.
bmfvet
AG
I've always said when I get a ranch that there will be a set up to dove hunt from a pool.
‘99
4xAgs
AG
Fed by well so cold….best thing on our lease. Especially after a hot day in August filling feeders and shredding shooting lanes.

BoerneGator
AG
Following this thread out of curiosity. Been ~ 40 + years since I've seen a pila built, and curious to know what current costs are. Had 20' x3' and 10'x10' covered pilas located at each windmill on our S. Texas ranch. Wanna say they were less than $3,000 back then, and could be built in a day!
David Robinson from Alice was the contractor.
InfantryAg
AG
I had thought about this, just with a windmill next to it, for tax purposes.

Maybe make it a saltwater pool/ pila?
The Fall Guy
AG
AgTDub said:

When we drain it in the spring to get ready for summer there are usually turtles, frogs and perch in it that get "relocated". Always strange to me considering the nearest live water to us is probably the Devils River about 20-30 miles further west.

Birds can bring in eggs to an isolated body of water. We had an old concrete water trough. 10 ft by 2 ft. It was unused and vegetation was growing in it.
I was a kid and poking around in the trough and something big splashed. It was a 3 pound bass in there. It was deep enough to support the fish and there were frogs and minnows also in there. Don't have a clue how that bass or minnows got in there but there it was. There was not a body of water for miles. The ranch was in Coke County.
AgTDub
AG
Sure as hell beats standing in a field or sitting on a truck tailgate sweating you ass off...

Bonus points for having kids or dogs to retrieve birds so that you dont have to keep getting in and out.

Laying on your back on a float as the breeze pushes you across the water one direction with birds heading all directions adds a new wrinkle to account for as well.
birddog7000
AG
Sitting in a pila is a treat on a hot day, just don't forget the ladder!

maddiedou
AG
AgTDub said:

Sure as hell beats standing in a field or sitting on a truck tailgate sweating you ass off...

Bonus points for having kids or dogs to retrieve birds so that you dont have to keep getting in and out.

Laying on your back on a float as the breeze pushes you across the water one direction with birds heading all directions adds a new wrinkle to account for as well.

My question Laying on a float and ice chest on other side of pool

Do you get off float or do you waste a shell to propel you to the ice chest
longeryak
AgTDub said:

Eggs/roe stick on wading birds legs and then get 'washed' off in a new body of water.
AgTDub
AG
Makes sense. I've seen teal paddling around in it from time to time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.