Outdoors
Sponsored by

Are dewberries the same thing as blackberries?

16,937 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by OnlyForNow
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We always collected dewberries growing up and ate them raw while my mother made cobbler and jam. Been a long time and they seem harder to find but was talking to a friend in Florida and he found a bunch of wild blackberries while turkey hunting and I thought they were dewberries.

It's been a long time but aren't they the same thing? That's what I was always told.
RCR06
AG
Always used interchangeably when I was growing up.
BrownDeerAggie
AG
Nope. They are different. Dewberries are typically smaller, vines are shorter, and they ripen in April. Blackberries ripen in May, are larger, and the canes are taller and grow better in more moist soil than dewberries. Old timers used to call blackberries "Mayberries"--as in the made up town name on the Andy Griffith Show.
Lone Stranger
Yes, a difference but they are related. I've noticed the deep south tends to consider them the same thing more than other places.
HarleySpoon
AG
Dewberries tend to attract more copperheads than blackberries.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
No

But similar
Duck Blind
AG
Curve ball... Then what's a boysenberry? When I was a kid everything I picked was called a dewberry and the bigger ones boysenberries..
Stormchaser
AG
They're all blackberries, just different species. What we call dewberries ripen first, and like stated earlier are smaller. They are a little less sweet, but my favorite only because they get to be the first cobbler of the year. The Brazos, developed by A&M, has thorns, and is as sweet as they get, but since they have thorns, I switched to other varieties in my garden that are thornless.
bkag9824
AG
Stormchaser said:

They're all blackberries, just different species. What we call dewberries ripen first, and like stated earlier are smaller. They are a little less sweet, but my favorite only because they get to be the first cobbler of the year. The Brazos, developed by A&M, has thorns, and is as sweet as they get, but since they have thorns, I switched to other varieties in my garden that are thornless.

What varieties ya got? I planted 20 Prime Ark Freedom and 10 Ouchita bare root stems a little less than a month ago. Ouchita seem to be taking off a little faster than the Prime Ark.
MouthBQ98
AG
Dewberries are more vine-like and berry along the vines. Blackberries grow more stalk like upright stems and the berries will be in more of clusters
Post removed:
by user
average_joker
AG
jayelbee said:

They mowed my dewberry patch last week. I got an easy 20 lb from there last year, and this year I won't get *****
That's messed up!
BrownDeerAggie
AG
Boysenberries are a hybrid variety developed in California at the famous Knots Berry Farm. They are a cross between dewberries, blackberries, raspberries, and loganberries. Grown mainly on the west coast. I cultivated dewberries and blackberries when I lived in Texas. Now, I grow black raspberries since moving to Wisconsin. I have a variety of blackberries that I only get a crop out of about once every 3 years or so due to the extreme cold killing the canes and them having to start over from the root. This year's berries grow on last year's canes. There are a few varieties of raspberries which fruit on new canes, but red raspberries can't be grown within 100 yards of black raspberries as the cross pollination makes the red raspberries fruitless. Lesson I had to learn the hard way. Kept planting the red varieties with no success. Finally got smart and did what I would have done before planting in Texas: got in touch with UW Extension Service (like the Extension Service at A&M) to learn what I was doing wrong.
shiftyandquick
yall are amateurs. didn't even mention Brazos berries.

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/fruit/Blackberries/blackberries.html
AgsMnn
AG
Thought dewberries were the wild ones on fence lines and blackberries are the ones you grow at the house.
fightintxaggie10
AG
I prefer a good snozzberry myself.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Dewberries make better jelly IMO than late season blackberries
AG
shiftyandquick said:

yall are amateurs. didn't even mention Brazos berries.

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/fruit/Blackberries/blackberries.html

Just 6 posts above you.
Pantera
AG
Dewberry festival in Cameron used to be a good time.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Glad we got some rain for the wild dewberries on the fences around the pastures. 2.7 inches
3 Toed Pete
AG
Which ones ripen the same time as spear grass?
RVAg02
AG
AgsMnn said:

Thought dewberries were the wild ones on fence lines and blackberries are the ones you grow at the house.

That was certainly the case for us growing up. We had tons of wild dewberries. Had to intentionally grow the blackberries. Had some great blackberry bushes until some bug or fungus got to them (was too young to know the difference) and had to mow them down.
water turkey
Dewberry cobbler is the finest desert in the world. Would pick 5 gallon bucket of them and eat half the bucket before getting it home to mom....
SteveBott
AG
I agree with that. Both the dessert and how much harvest never made it home.
BlueMiles
AG
And chiggers. Worth it, though.
rab79
AG
BlueMiles said:

And chiggers. Worth it, though.
sulfur before you pick and rubbing alcohol after.
Central Committee
AG
water turkey said:

Dewberry cobbler is the finest desert in the world. Would pick 5 gallon bucket of them and eat half the bucket before getting it home to mom....

My dad, class of '62 loves dewberry cobbler. Mom used to make two cobblers: one for the family and one for dad. The man will give the shirt off his back to someone in need, but heaven help the poor soul that took too much cobbler.

We used to pick dewberries in Humble near the River and made 60 or so pints of dewberry preserves every spring.
We may not always get what we want. We may not always get what we need. Just so we don't get what we deserve.
BlueMiles
AG
I'll try that.
Courtesy Flush
AG
When I was growing up we had a large vine that grew on the cyclone fence behind our house. It produced for years and years and cobbler was a staple around out house in the summer. My parents have some vines today and after harvesting them, they freeze them and eat them all year.

I intend to plant some soon on some rural property that we own. We have a fence around our homesite that is net wire that keeps the cows away from the homesite. I want to plant them along that fence and let them grow along the fence. It gets full sunlight and so they should do well. I just need to figure out how best to prepare the ground around them and whether I let the grass grow between them or if I try to maintain bare soil and mulch.
Pookers
AG
Do black/dew berries spread uncontrollably or is what you plant what you get? I'd like to plant a couple bushes of them if they don't take over the whole landscape.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Hot dewberry cobbler and vanilla ice cream!
RVAg02
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

The greatest
Crusaders41
Man I forgot about that one!

Dewberry and Blackberries as previously mentioned are definitely different but closely related.

My landlord built new fence around the place I lease from him this winter so none for me this year.
Wodanaz
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

The thought firms me.
AgEng98
Na Zdrav 87 said:

My mama made the absolute best dewberry cobblers ever. I remember us dragging the little 2.5 gallon Moorman's feed buckets down the fence lines picking berries. Best time of year... warm enough to go barefoot and ripe berries.

Her fig preserves were even better than the cobblers!

If my wife ever figures out how to make either, my lazy pancreas will finally surrender.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.