Outdoors
Sponsored by

Are dewberries the same thing as blackberries?

16,939 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by OnlyForNow
Aggie118
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Badace52 said:

Took a picture of dingleberries once...

They were some red berries I found walking around the streets of Dingle, Ireland.

I've only seen the brown ones
Courtesy Flush
AG
My understanding is that the blackberry varieties with thorns produce more fruit than the thornless ones. I am thinking about putting in some Brazos and some Rosborough which have thorns. Has anybody else heard that the thornless do not produce as well?
OnlyForNow
AG
My thornless produce a good number of berries, but produce earlier than the Brazos variety.
Post removed:
by user
Scotty88
AG
In the "olden" days those dewberries grew wild anywhere along the tracks south of town towards Wellborn...we used to pick buckets of them when the missus and I were first married.

Our best dewberry spot, however, was behind the "new" baseball fields off of Rock Prairie Rd by the hospital.

My boys have a duplex near there now and we visited and looked there last year..Nada!
Central Committee
AG
Dad and I found a bunch of dewberries in Humble. I drive down this weekend to pick some with him but they were not ripe yet. Very late this year. Got enough for a couple of cobblers is all. Dewberries we found were very small.
We may not always get what we want. We may not always get what we need. Just so we don't get what we deserve.
Gus Fring
We have several thorny blackberry bushes that grow wild on our place. Can I just buy a bag of thorn less seeds that is zoned for my area and spread it around in an area I would like and they would grow? or do they really require a lot of cultivation?
Badace52
AG
Thornless varieties don't grow well in the wild. The native dewberries (thorny blackberries which you are referencing) are highly adapted to our frequent droughts.

The summers generally kill the thornless varieties without human maintenance.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OnlyForNow
AG
This happened to one of my thornless. Just have to water it well once a week.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.