Outdoors
Sponsored by

Metal detectors

4,001 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Charismatic Megafauna
Old RV Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Okay, I'm sure this is one of those topics already covered ad nauseam so forgive an old guy for not digging for old threads. I've used a metal detector here or there but always was a friends or such and was to find something dropped/lost or to check for dangerous things buried before digging or even in massive trees before cutting, etc. I've got a section (not a full section in the strict meaning of acreage) that I've found out recently may have some historical significance and thus possible .... umm... "cool things"

Looking for recommendations - not worried about cost so much but as a starting point if a 1 is pure amateur starter crap and a 10 is the ultimate, I'd say I'm looking for something like a 7 or so.

Any recommendations?
BrazosDog02
AG
I'm not up to speed with a lot of current each but I've used my Fisher CZ-5 for nearly 30 years now. The last ones I saw on eBay sold used for a few hundred bucks less than I bought mine for brand new way back when which I think is good to know. While I'm not completely up to speed on current models, I do not feel my skill and machine are at any disadvantage whatsoever against any current production available. I know there are plenty of nice machines available but I would definitely stick to the more professional models. Don't get any junk. I think you're on the right track with your search. You're going to get what you pay for but I also think there is a diminishing return.

I think you'll get plenty of good suggestions on here.
The Fall Guy
AG
Need some black socks, flip flops, sun hat.

Kidding. I had one for a while years ago to fund any metal, coins etc on playgrounds.

Found needles also. Scary.
76Ag
AG
Check out Kellyco.com. They have all the information, detectors and other resources you would need.
TH36
I'm your huckleberry! Metal detecting happens to be one of my many hobbies. I metal detect all over the state and out of state.

With out a doubt a equinox 800 is what you're after. I don't own one but it is the new bug deal. I use a XP Deus (about $1200 new). I've got a Mine Lab E-trac and Garrett AT-Pro also.

My uncle uses a XP Deus as well but he just bought a Minelab Equinox cause the guy with detect with has one and we're learning more and more he's a tad bit more successful cause of it. The XP Deus is a great machine but it's very noisy. Lots and lots of chatter so after awhile you get a bit fatigued listening to all the side chatter from iron, etc...in the ground.

YouTube is your friend. Tons and tons of videos on the different detectors. Unfortunately it's becoming a more and more popular hobby. All the old coins in the ground won't be around forever, we'll all be out of places to go some day but it is what it is.
TH36

Just some of my finds. The Jefferson nickel in the last picture is 40% silver. They were saving the nickel for the war effort during WW2 so from 42-45 all nickels are what we call "War nickels" and have silver in them.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
What kind of "ummm...objects?"
Lots of iron/relics or lots of trash you need to discriminate out from non ferrous? Is depth an issue or are you expecting stuff to be near the surface? I was going to suggest the at-pro as a good first machine that's easy to use with good discrimination. If you're relic hunting (digging iron) just about any machine will do. My cheap bounty hunter surprises the heck out of me with some of the tiny deep stuff i can come up with.
TH36
Personally that's why I suggested the Equinox. You'll get this problem where you'll buy something like a AT-Pro then you'll wind up with 3 different detectors, like me. Cause you'll constantly be stepping up. The Equinox is easy to use, easy to set up, and is as good a machine (if not better) as the upper echelon stuff like my XP Deus.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Cool good point, the equinox is definitely my next machine, I'm not gonna fork out for one until i find something of equivalent value with my sand shark.
agingcowboy
AG
Not sure where it ranks, probably more toward amateur crap...but I have a Garrett AT Pro that I bought for the kids that doesn't get much use. I'm in Austin area if someone would like to borrow and take for a spin before deciding/buying something.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GSS
I bought a Bounty Hunter II in December from Academy, at a major discount ($200 purchase). I think it's just gonna cause me to look into an upgrade, because so far it's been both fun and frustrating.
And I'm blaming the frustration on it not being a better unit (though it could be operator error..).

NRA Life
TSRA Life
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Mine is a discovery 2200, i think it was more like a $100 machine. I only run it on lowest sensitivity, and i only use discrimination when there's a ton of trash, but it's really finicky and the signals will be all over the place on pieces of wire and stuff, so I'll ignore inconsistent signals, but when i get a fairly consistent signal in disc, I'll turn the disc off to pinpoint and dig
TxSquarebody
Whatever Gary Drayton uses. That guy finds everything!
hellapark
AG
Check out the "Hoover Boys" channel on YouTube.
They are in the Maryland area and find some awesome old coins and relics.
Old RV Ag
AG
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This is a really a great start. I do have to admit that I'm trying not to justify the need for the $20k ground penetrating radar unit on one of those websites.
dave99ag
AG
Picked up a Minelab Vanquish 440 and pinpointer to see what we can find on our place in Alpine. Should be fun hunting with my son.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Do it! Will save you a lot of digging!
Old RV Ag
AG
NRD09 said:

Do it! Will save you a lot of digging!
It'd also make me the OB's best friend - wonder how many requests I'd get for borrowing it! And they say you can't buy friends!
The Fife
I bought a Tesoro Eldorado that's paid for itself at least a couple times over from all the change I found at beaches in socal. That said I'd recommend buying something else because it doesn't pull stuff beyond about 4 inches.

Best of luck! My greatest finds were a stolen Aggie ring, civil war era union belt buckle, and a 1908 quarter.
HumpitPuryear
AG
I would probably go with the Equinox if I was buying new. I have not had a chance to try one but they seem like a great value. However I would not hesitate to buy a lightly used Garrett AT-Pro or Max. Garrett has about the best customer service of any consumer electronics vendor in the world and AT-Pros can be picked up pretty cheap these days. I run a XP Deus now but I still have my AT-Pro as my backup. I have made some great finds with the AT-Pro.

Also, would highly recommend a pinpointer. The basic one from Garrett is hard to beat. Look out for Chinese knockoffs though if you are buying on ebay or other shady internet sites.
Towns03
AG
Minelab Equinox 600 or 800?

what accessories are important?

thanks!
TH36
From what I've read/seen there's not much difference between the two except....the 800 had a "gold" mode that the 600 doesn't which you'd use if you lived somewhere you could look for gold nuggets. The 800 also comes with the wireless headphones where as the 600 you'd have to buy those separately.

Honestly, a good pouch (I use a husky tool bag) a pinpointer, and a good shovel is all ya need. I'll link the shovel I use and the pinpointer.

Shovel
https://www.predatortools.com/collections/shovels/products/model-56-spartan-d-handle-shovel

Pinpointer
https://www.seriousdetecting.com/product/garrett-pro-pointer-waterproof-pinpointer-w-black-lanyard/

The pinpointer is commonly called "the Garrett carrot" so if you type that in on Amazon you can buy it off there too.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Also if you find something good... don't tell anybody!!!

https://time.com/5945127/fbi-gold-pennsylvania-dents-run/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.