Outdoors
Sponsored by

Electric provider

9,924 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agent-maroon
Mack Brown on a Mobile
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not saying you need to do Energy Ogre, but TXU is notorious for being really high. Most people that leave TXU save at least $1200 with the plans EO is able to find for you. Sometimes a lot more depending on the size of your house and usage.
Mr. Frodo
AG
You are an Energyogre customer and have been happy?
Where are you located?
Any unusual issues in the cold snap?
SteveBott
AG
Griddy probably going out of business. They charged one guy, direct access to his checking account, 16K.

ouch
combat wombat™
AG
SteveBott said:

Griddy probably going out of business. They charged one guy, direct access to his checking account, 16K.

ouch

IF THEY DID THE SAME TO HIM AS THEY DID TO ME, HE RECEIVED TWO E-MAILS AND A PHONE CALL TELLING GIM TO BAIL. WHY SHOULD THEU FO OUT OF BUSINESS???
SteveBott
AG
Why are you yelling at me?

I don't know his situation. Did he have power? Internet?

Did other providers have their system up and running?

Anyone going variable market cost is stupid. That's why I sell 30 year fixed mortgages not ARMs.
combat wombat™
AG
I'm yelling, but not at you. I'm frustrated with uninformed consumers who ignore the advice of their provider to find another provider ASAP and then blame the provider for providing EXACTLY the service they signed up for.
OnlyForNow
AG
I gotta agree with you.

Getting a variable energy rate probably does save you money on some months, but I would bet dollars to donuts that the yearly average is pretty damn close to the same thing and if you look for a good fixed rate plan deal you'd probably come out ahead.
combat wombat™
AG
Over 20 months I averaged 9.4 cents per kWh on Griddy. They show what the Texas average rate was over the same timeframe and, based upon that, my savings were about $1,200.

In reality, my savings were way more than that because I had fallen asleep at the wheel and had been paying dang near 20 cents per kWh before signing up for Griddy.

I would sign up for EnergyOgre but I have a freeze on my credit and that will make the process they use to complicated and, IMO, open to errors. (New providers will want to run credit checks but won't be able to do so. )
SteveBott
AG
I've been on 12-24 months fixed at 11 cents BUT I get 9 pm Friday to midnight Sunday for free. So figure 9 cents overall.

I use a bunch of power on weekends. I do t sell variable rates. 30 and 15's. There is a reason for that.
AgEngr16
AG
Check out Thigbe (formerly ezElectricty) if you are looking for a electricity management company to take care of the headache. Aggie owned.

Been with them for almost 2 years now and they are consistently beating the average price in the Victoria area.

Service fee is a percentage of your providers invoice cost and mine has never been more than about $5 with invoices averaging $100-200/month.

The real plus is half of your service goes to charity. They have about 2 dozen you can pick from.
EMY92
AG
Mr. Frodo said:

You are an Energyogre customer and have been happy?
Where are you located?
Any unusual issues in the cold snap?

The company that bills you has nothing to do with power issues.

I use Energy Ogre and couldn't tell you the power company I'm signed up with. Everyone in the area has Oncor for the delivery.
OnlyForNow
AG
Been on either a 12 or 24 month contract for 5 years in this house, have never paid above 9.5 cents per KWh.

And I've had to update my coma y choice 3 times in the time period.

Listen, the ability to save money is there, I get it. The ability to lose your ass is also there and is a much greater probability.
Hehateme1
Another vote for Energy Ogre, been with them a little over 3 years, I think. No issues, they handle all the bs for 10 bucks a month. My savings were closer to 40%.

I'm 57 years old, I had 35 years of experience that let me know I was really horrible at managing my electrical providers.
AggieOO
AgEngr16 said:

Check out Thigbe (formerly ezElectricty) if you are looking for a electricity management company to take care of the headache. Aggie owned.

Been with them for almost 2 years now and they are consistently beating the average price in the Victoria area.

Service fee is a percentage of your providers invoice cost and mine has never been more than about $5 with invoices averaging $100-200/month.

The real plus is half of your service goes to charity. They have about 2 dozen you can pick from.

This is who we use too.
Teslag
AG
Locked in at 8.4 cents for 3 years
dubberage
I have been using TexasPowerAgents for a few years now and is just like Energy Oger I believe and is also Aggie owner and operated. It is the way to go! They do all the negotiating and finding best short term (3 or 6 month deals) and my rates have never been lower and is only like $7/month.

https://www.texaspoweragents.com/

combat wombat™
AG
Do you guys take into account the company rating before signing up with a provider? Lowest rates are with crap rated companies.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Located in Houston. No issues during the cold snap at all. And yes, very happy. EO may not be for everyone, but they will find you a low cost plan and then handle the switches. They will also refund you your subscription if you are not happy. Just to kick the tires, you can take a recent bill to www.energyogre.com/r/cru and that will give you a real good idea of what they can do for you.
AgEngr16
AG
That is why it is great to have a middle man like Thigbe or Energy Ogre. You ever have to deal with the provider directly...you see an issue with an invoice and they handle it for you once you notify them.

I am currently locked in on an fixed 12 month contract at $0.049/kWh. Best rate yet and it never seems to go up. Delivery is through AEP and total cost from January was $0.096/kWh (which is a touch higher than my average of $0.091/kWh on the current contract).

Other thing to think about is a large number of the low rate contracts have bill credits when usage is in a specific window. Over or under and you get hit pretty hard on your rate.
fta09
AG
combat wombat said:

PearlJammin said:

Energy Ogre.

Aggie owned company that automatically signs you up for the cheapest provider every 6 months to a year. Well worth the $10/month fee they charge for this service. Everyone I've referred has saved at least 30% on their bill.

I have a freeze on our credit, so this doesn't work for us since some providers will run credit checks.
I have a freeze on my credit and this is not an issue. When it comes time to setup a new contract, if they need a credit check, they have the new provider call me and setup a temporary PIN for the credit agency they check. Takes me 5 - 10 minutes once per year, which is less time I would spend looking through a website and shopping on my own.
combat wombat™
AG
nm
combat wombat™
AG
fta09 said:

combat wombat said:

PearlJammin said:

Energy Ogre.

Aggie owned company that automatically signs you up for the cheapest provider every 6 months to a year. Well worth the $10/month fee they charge for this service. Everyone I've referred has saved at least 30% on their bill.

I have a freeze on our credit, so this doesn't work for us since some providers will run credit checks.
I have a freeze on my credit and this is not an issue. When it comes time to setup a new contract, if they need a credit check, they have the new provider call me and setup a temporary PIN for the credit agency they check. Takes me 5 - 10 minutes once per year, which is less time I would spend looking through a website and shopping on my own.
Who do you use? Sounds like it would be good to try them.

I don't know about temporary PINS, I had to "lift" the credit freeze for Reliant to check.
fta09
AG
EnergyOgre. Let them know upfront you have your credit frozen and they will work with you.

As far as the credit agencies go, you should be able to create a temporary PIN for them to use, or a temporary lift over a short period of time.
powerbelly
AG
SteveBott said:

ouch
Why? Griddy will be just fine as people move back to them after their contracts run out.
Teslag
AG
combat wombat said:

Do you guys take into account the company rating before signing up with a provider? Lowest rates are with crap rated companies.

Why do care if they are a good company? As long as their bills are accurate that's all I ask for.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I could see a lot of Griddy customers who ran up four-figure bills during peak demand not having the funds on account to cover. Griddy likely tried to replenish funds to keep up but I doubt they were cutting off customers with insufficient funds or even to keep with the billing transactions.

TLDR- Griddy may owe a lot that they are unable recoup.
FamousAgg
You tend to go out of business when all of your customers leave
mosdefn14
AG
I'm paying something like 4.3 cents to the REP (+ Oncor charges, taxes) for "100% solar & wind" energy. Apparently they have ownership in some of the wind/solar farms in west Texas.

I realize that REPs are really in the business of trading power and not actually "providing" anything...I sure hope they had a wonderfully hedged book last week.
DimebagsGhost
AG
combat wombat said:

I'm yelling, but not at you. I'm frustrated with uninformed consumers who ignore the advice of their provider to find another provider ASAP and then blame the provider for providing EXACTLY the service they signed up for.
almost as bad as the morons on NextDoor asking how they can sue the City of Plano because their pool pipes busted cause their pumps were not running with no power...

Uh, first off, City of Plano doesn't supply power -- second - you needed to drain your pipes you moron.

Take some responsibility for your own actions - -or in-action
powerbelly
AG
KorbinDallas said:

You tend to go out of business when all of your customers leave

People are already talking about going back. The people who understand wholesale pricing will return
JSKolache
AG
fta09 said:

combat wombat said:

PearlJammin said:

Energy Ogre.

Also Ogre here. Unrelated to above, but I had an issue during a contact change-over one time. The new provider wanted direct consent from me for whatever the issue was. Griddy rep conferenced me in on their phone conversation in real time so I could consent, nod, wave, etc. It's a good service & they are fix-it minded.
FamousAgg
I understand the market but I still wouldn't use Griddy, I don't want to have to regulate my power use based on the 5 minute pricing.

If someone wants to use them and can regulate their use in high price times more power to them. Many who were using them had no idea of the downsides.
howdyags12!
AG
The difference b/t the wholesale market and a fixed rate, assuming you're not asleep at the wheel, is approximately 5mils (1/2 penny) per kWh or basically the hedging premium. Considering you use the state residential electricity average of around 12,000/kWh annually, you're talking about a delta of $60 dollars. Is it really worth the headache or risk to save $60 a year?
Nick221
We moved to Round Rock about three years ago and signed up for Reliant Energy. No problems with them. Having looked through this discussion, I decided to check reliant energy reviews. Well, of couerse, there are always unsatisfied people, but I didn't find many complanits, except for a door to door salesman. As for Energy Ogre, I didn't know that people like its service, I'll keep it in mind and compare the prices. Thanks for enlightening me.

Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG

If you take your latest Reliant bill and go to www.energyorge.com/r/cru and use their savings calculator, you should get a good idea if Energy Ogre can save you some money. With Reliant, they almost always can. Good Luck.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.