Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tell me about gun shows

6,500 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BenderRodriguez
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For a little background, I'm a total novice when it comes to firearms. I've only owned a 12 gauge shotgun I keep for home protection but recently purchased a 9mm and got my LTC.

I was looking to purchase this online today but it says it takes about five months to deliver. For anybody that's been to a gun show recently, do you think I could find this at one?

https://meridiandefensecorp.com/apocalypse-series-pestilence-rifle/?
johnnyblaze36
AG
Or put another way, can I expect to find anything similar? I've not been to a gun show in 20 years and that was at Market Hall in Dallas.
RAB87
AG
DatTallArchitect
AG
You'll most likely be able to find an AK at any decent gun show. The trick is to know your AKs and what the different ones are worth. Our resident AK gurus can speak a lot more to that.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Thanks. I watch a lot of this guy's videos and this thing looks amazing made by the same company but they are sold out. I didn't realize that it could take five months to purchase one and really know nothing about the process.

BenderRodriguez
AG
You don't have to wait 20 weeks for a quality AK, and if you're going to spend that kind of cash there are better options.

I'll try to expand later but I would be going for a Sam7 if I was going to spend 1700 on an AK these days.

You have other options as well.

What do you like about that gun, what features are you looking for, what will you be doing with it?
txyaloo
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

You don't have to wait 20 weeks for a quality AK, and if you're going to spend that kind of cash there are better options.

I'll try to expand later but I would be going for a Sam7 if I was going to spend 1700 on an AK these days.

You have other options as well.

What do you like about that gun, what features are you looking for, what will you be doing with it?
My guess is the "battleworn" look
zooguy96
C ROC N
Take cash!! Low ball offers all day until somebody takes rhe offer
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
OP, if you want an AK, you need to either buy one made in a former com-bloc country, or a PSA gen3, gen4, or 103 series rifle. Cheaper AK's (not in the group above) often have trunnions that are just ticking time bombs, waiting to explode in your face with enough rounds through them.

So that leaves you with the only com-bloc rifles in current production being the Romanian WASR-10, Yugo ZPAP, and Bulgarian SAM7 rifles (lots of reports of the new Arsenal SLR series rifles possibly being made domestically and being really poor quality).

With COVID and election prices, a new WASR is around $800, ZPAP is around $900, and SAM7 is between $1,500 and $2,000.

If I were in your shoes, I'd sign up for email alerts from Atlantic Firearms, and buy a Yugo ZPAP the next time they have them in stock. Gun shows are fun, but I see them more of as lottery events...I might find something cool, but not getting my hopes up for something specific.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
BenderRodriguez
AG
Thats also an RPK in the video, which is going to handle and shoot differently from a traditional AK.

So I wouldn't base an AK buying decision on a youtube video about a guy shooting an RPK that he likes.
SMM48
AG
Gun shows.

The no background check tables are under surveillance by the atf.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Lots of helpful info in here. And yes, it was mainly about the "battleworn" look. Just thought it is a really beautiful gun that I could have fun with at the range.

But I will look into other options stated above. Thanks.
BenderRodriguez
AG
The worn look is a lot cooler when its applied by hand, by you shooting and training with it.

Plus you'll look cooler using it after putting in all that work to make it "battleworn".

Just a suggestion. This is my favorite picture of this gun, dirty and beat up after a match.

johnnyblaze36
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

OP, if you want an AK, you need to either buy one made in a former com-bloc country, or a PSA gen3, gen4, or 103 series rifle. Cheaper AK's (not in the group above) often have trunnions that are just ticking time bombs, waiting to explode in your face with enough rounds through them.

So that leaves you with the only com-bloc rifles in current production being the Romanian WASR-10, Yugo ZPAP, and Bulgarian SAM7 rifles (lots of reports of the new Arsenal SLR series rifles possibly being made domestically and being really poor quality).

With COVID and election prices, a new WASR is around $800, ZPAP is around $900, and SAM7 is between $1,500 and $2,000.

If I were in your shoes, I'd sign up for email alerts from Atlantic Firearms, and buy a Yugo ZPAP the next time they have them in stock. Gun shows are fun, but I see them more of as lottery events...I might find something cool, but not getting my hopes up for something specific.
Is this what you are talking about? I found a lot of sites with them all out of stock but did find this in stock:

https://discreetgunsales.com/product/zastava-arms-ak-47-zpap-m70-wood-furniture/

Are there any websites I should be leery of? I recently placed an order for some ammo on a site I'd not used before and they've charged my card about a week ago and I've never even gotten an order confirmation or tracking number.

edit: I did a search on discreet gun sales and see lots of people saying it's a scam site. I figured it might be since they had that firearm in stock and nobody else does.
johnnyblaze36
txyaloo
AG
You're going to be hard pressed to find one in stock anywhere online except for Gunbroker. In the last month, I've seen some decent AK deals that came with ammo on Texas Gun Trader. Might be worth looking there. The PAPs are a bit unique in some of their parts but generally decent guns. The ugly blonde stocks clean up pretty well, and short barrels are always sexy.

johnnyblaze36
Central Committee
AG
I had one made by Sterling Arsenal in Sterling VA. Cost about $1600 a few years ago.

These guys are very good at custom ARs, AKs, and the last few years ago, bolt action rifles.

Can not say enough great things about that crew. Exceptional integrity as well.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
This is a solid AK at a fair price for right now.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/products/romarm-paratrooper-ak47
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
johnnyblaze36
AG
Thanks. I think I went to ten different websites to be notified when/if that ZPAP comes back in stock and will wait for it to hopefully. Thing looks great and I read lots of glowing reviews.
The Wonderer
AG
Man am I glad I bought my AK when I did. It plus 440 rounds for $350 about a year ago in a F2F deal.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/modern-sporting-rifles/zastava-arms-zpapm70-762mm-nato-163in-blueddark-walnut-semi-automatic-modern-sporting-rifle-301-rounds/p/1650030
johnnyblaze36
AG
Thanks for posting. Just saw this and it now says temporarily sold out. Gotta act quick!
johnnyblaze36
AG
Got a notification that the ZPAP was in stock on Atlantic Firearms, had it in my cart, filled in FFL and all my info, and then when I went to check out it said out of stock. Unbelievable.
TacosaurusRex
johnnyblaze36 said:

Got a notification that the ZPAP was in stock on Atlantic Firearms, had it in my cart, filled in FFL and all my info, and then when I went to check out it said out of stock. Unbelievable.
Just a word of advice with how fast things are going. Put all the info on a word document, then copy and paste into the sections instead of typing it all out in a hurry and getting something wrong.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
I had a century before the lake accident, and it was great.

Recently got a KS47 from palmetto. AR platform that shoots 7.62x39 using standard ak mags. Also ...boat accident.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Thanks for the tip. They do have this similar one still in stock but it's more expensive and I don't like the look of it as much. Although I guess at this point beggars can't be choosers.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/products/zastava-arms-zpapm70-ak47-1-5mm-serbian-red-zr7762rt-685757098250
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
https://www.familyfirearms.com/product/zas-m70-ak-7.62x39-dark-walnut-chrome-lined-30rd
johnnyblaze36
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

https://www.familyfirearms.com/product/zas-m70-ak-7.62x39-dark-walnut-chrome-lined-30rd
I'm late to the draw again (sold out) and that's actually $150 higher than it was on Atlantic and the same price as the Serbian red I passed on.

The consistent posting and help is very much appreciated.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
https://dld-vip.com/physical/zastava-zpapm70-ak-rifle-762x39-maple-tiger-stripe?itsbackinstock
johnnyblaze36
AG
Thanks. Incredibly every time I go to proceed to checkout it asks me to sign in which I already am. Then when signed in it says complete purchase and then asks me to sign in again. So frustrating!
johnnyblaze36
AG
Just got off the phone with a sales rep. Said they are out and no way to set up alerts. I'm tired of this product getting in my cart and being shut out. Arrrgggh.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
https://www.dld-vip.com/physical/zastava-m70-walnut-762x39
johnnyblaze36
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

https://www.dld-vip.com/physical/zastava-m70-walnut-762x39
I don't know what the deal is with this site but I always have problems checking out (maybe they are already sold out again). It says it's in my cart and I'm signed in and every time I try to check out it brings me back to the sign in page.

Maybe this rifle just isn't for me after all. ;-)

edit: I tried checking out as guest, then it went to info and payment screen and I entered all my info in and it said product not available in this quantity. I'm surprised I didn't get an alert for it because I set one up and have gotten other alerts recently from that site. Welp, thanks again though.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.