Outdoors
Sponsored by

Truck tires

8,514 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
proc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need a new set on a Tundra, it's a 4x4 but I'm not climbing any ravines or anything. Prefer HT to AT for the quiet.

Any you like? Hate?
BCStalk
Michelin LTX A/T2. They work great for me. I did a lot of highway driving along with dirt roads and deer lease driving. No complaints at all.
ftworthag02
AG
I run yokohama geolander ht on all of my work vehicles (f250) and have been very happy.
Old RV Ag
AG
BCStalk said:

Michelin LTX A/T2. They work great for me. I did a lot of highway driving along with dirt roads and deer lease driving. No complaints at all.
Great tire

Edit: the Michelin LTX Defender M/S is a great tire as well but more leaning highway, dirt roads, and not heavy off road (but does well there as well)
rancher1953
Michelin LTX A/T2 is the only way to go. I get at least 60000 on a set. Make sure you rotate around 5000-10000 and you will be pleased. Michelin only tire I buy, I tried all of the rest.
swampstander
AG
The answer as always is BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2.
OnlyForNow
AG
No likely cooper?
CS78
Aggieangler93
AG
OnlyForNow said:

No likely cooper?
Last Coopers I had were so loud I wanted to shoot all of them in the sidewall!!!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
BCStalk said:

You drive a lot of highway miles and never really "have" to use 4x4 - Defenders (new LTX M/S)

Occasionally engage 4x4 but pretty mild when you need it - LTX AT2

Occasionally engage 4x4 but need it when you do - BFG AT2

A lot of good options though. Coopers aren't great but they're not terrible. Toyos are pretty good. Nittos have made improvements on their tread compound and have a few new tires out. I personally don't like any of the Goodyear's truck/SUV tires, especially any of the ones with Kevlar.
BCStalk
I had the Defenders on my previous 2wd truck. Excellent highway tire. I was driving about 50k miles a year for work and they were smooth and quiet the entire time.
TdoubleH
AG
I'm getting 60k+ Out of my Toyo AT2s. Rotate every oil change. I'll stick with them.
flyingaggie12
AG
swampstander said:

The answer as always is BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2.
EskimoJoe
BCStalk said:

I got 127k miles out of a set of these doing oil field work. They were still on the pickup when i turned it in. I got an email reminder later on for service that was due on the pickup as the last odometer reading was 136k. (pickup was probably being used as a backup or something before being sold) Pretty sure the company didn't put tires on it as it was going to be liquidated.
txaggie02
AG
BFGs are terrible. This coming from somebody that used to be happy with them. I ran 2 different sets and couldn't get over 60k on either of them. Switched over to Toyo Open Country A/T since most of my buddies were running them on their trucks and the first two sets got 85k and 95k. Running my third set now. Heard the Michelin's are pretty solid too, but haven't tried them yet since the Toyos are performing so well.
Saltwater Assassin
AG
How in the heck are yall getting 80k miles out of tires????

I rotate mine every oil change & am stoked if I can get 60 out of a set. I get about the same mileage regardless of brand (ive run toyo, bfg, & nitto)

Drillbit4
AG
How has nobody recommended Nittos yet? Probably the best tread design vs noise tire vs tire life I've found.
Aggieangler93
AG
My main problem is I drive it like I stole it. I think that limits tire life.
txaggie02
AG
Saltwater Assassin said:

I rotate mine every oil change & am stoked if I can get 60 out of a set. I get about the same mileage regardless of brand (ive run toyo, bfg, & nitto)

Not sure. I'm religious about rotating mine as well. Maybe it's just been luck in getting a couple of good sets. I'm 20k into the third set and they still look brand new.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
When did you run the BFGs and was it on a 3/4 or 1 ton? They had issues with the very first version of the AT2s on heavy duty trucks but changed the compound to address it, so I have been told.

My first set of BFGs lasted 62K and I only replaced because a nail in sidewalk of one of the tires. I'm about 45 into my second set on an F150.

Toyos are a good option, too.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Drillbit4 said:

How has nobody recommended Nittos yet? Probably the best tread design vs noise tire vs tire life I've found.
i did earlier but a lot of people still have the taste of horrendous tread life from the original Terra grapplers in their mouths. They used to last about as long as a set of mud terrains.

New ones are wayyyy better...
bb2003
AG
The last several sets of tires I've bought have been discount tire branded Pathfinder AT. I do rotate regularly and have had good experiences with them. Hard to beat for the money. They are quiet on the highway as well.
bam02
AG
Check out nitto terra grapplers. Great tires.
flyingaggie12
AG
bam02 said:

These are the ones that come stock on the TRD Pro
aftershock
Saltwater Assassin said:

You know the guys, the ones that leave no meat on the bones? The ones that when you see their tires you kinda go... geesh ... and then contemplate whether or not you really wanna get in their truck? That's how.
jefe95
AG
I'm about to turn 70k on a set of Toyo Open Country 305s on a 2016 Boost.
txaggie02
AG
Quote:

You know the guys, the ones that leave no meat on the bones? The ones that when you see their tires you kinda go... geesh ... and then contemplate whether or not you really wanna get in their truck? That's how.

No sir. Just changed them out when Discount Tire recommended it. I bet I could have gotten another 5k on both sets, if I tried. Absolutely not worth the risk though. Especially with wet pavement. Not going to kill somebody over a few extra miles on some tires.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
BCStalk said:

The only correct answer. A former materials engineer for another tire manufacturer told me these are the best light truck tire period and that he spent the first 15 years of his career trying to rip these off.
JSKolache
AG
LTX on my tundra give a high pitched whistle that annoys me. Discount has a Yoko exclusive that gets good reviews online...
P.U.T.U
AG
Working at Discount Tire for 6 years Michelin's were by far the best quality and the LTX line is solid. Yokohama would be my second favorite if you can not afford it or need a street ride.
tamc93
AG
BCStalk said:

Missed the first chance to post something similar.
Mas89
AG
bam02 said:

My kids f150 came with nitto ridge grapplers. They are loud as hell while driving.
Can't wait to replace them when he saves enough.

My 2500hd has mich Ltx at2 tires but they are street tires and not good in mud. Prefer the quiet ride to the mud tire performance.
A.G.S.
AG
I'm a fan of the Cooper Discoverer. Like that overwhelming majority of people with a 4x4, I spent 95% of the time on pavement, but they aren't loud to me, they handle wet pavement well, and they are more than capable off road.

Old RV Ag
AG
Lester Freamon said:

BCStalk said:

The only correct answer. A former materials engineer for another tire manufacturer told me these are the best light truck tire period and that he spent the first 15 years of his career trying to rip these off.
Michelin spends tons on R&D and it shows. Years ago my late wife bought an SUV and loved it but it came with Goodyear and in heavy rain it would try to hydroplane (even with the traction control system - it wasn't a cheap SUV). She was thinking it needed to be returned and I said first let's put some Michelin tires on it as their rubber compound and tread patterns are well known to be better in the rain. Problem solved. I always run Michelin on cars to my semis. Michelin is the only semi tire I will recap. All others peel after too short a time. When buying a new vehicle part of the negotiation is whatever is on it has to be changed to Michelin. The dealers never argue and agree they are in their own category.
cz308
I don't want to create a new post for something so similar, but since there are a lot of good choices here, what about an offroad tire for a 4x4 Tundra? I don't give a crap about road noise, but I'd like to still get some decent mileage out of them. What's the recommendation?

Currently running BFG's KO2's and they were great when they were new, but they are slipping pretty bad in the pasture when it's muddy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.