Outdoors
Sponsored by

Truck tires

8,543 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nitro Trail Grapplers, BFG KM3s or Toyo Mudders

As you experienced, any all terrain is going to gum up in mud and perform poorly but better than OE street tires.
Mas89
AG
cz308 said:

I don't want to create a new post for something so similar, but since there are a lot of good choices here, what about an offroad tire for a 4x4 Tundra? I don't give a crap about road noise, but I'd like to still get some decent mileage out of them. What's the recommendation?

Currently running BFG's KO2's and they were great when they were new, but they are slipping pretty bad in the pasture when it's muddy.
Nitto ridge grapplers if you like a lot of road noise. Real aggressive looking.
Spotted Ag
AG
NITTO Terra grapplers. Best tires I've ever bought.
TommyGun
AG
cz308 said:

I don't want to create a new post for something so similar, but since there are a lot of good choices here, what about an offroad tire for a 4x4 Tundra? I don't give a crap about road noise, but I'd like to still get some decent mileage out of them. What's the recommendation?

Currently running BFG's KO2's and they were great when they were new, but they are slipping pretty bad in the pasture when it's muddy.

I run Cooper STT Pros. They're a lilttle noisy but not too bad and since my commute is only 2 miles I really don't care too much about road noise. I've been in mud up to the frame and they keep trucking along and do a good job of not gumming up. I can get anywhere I need to go on my muddy East Texas lease.

Aggiehunt
AG
I put a set of Cooper Discoverer ATP on my 1/2 ton silverado about 11k miles ago. No complaints so far. They are louder than the stock highway Michelins were but they're not too loud at all. Haven't had them in the mud or anything yet...my truck is 2wd so I avoid that stuff anyways. They're comfortable on the highway, good in the rain and seem to be wearing well.

Oh, and the main reason I bought them: they're inexpensive. I paid ~$180 a piece. The BFG and Nittos that I was looking at would have cost me another $400 for the set.
skelso
AG
I had great luck with Notto Terra Grappler's on my previous truck. Current truck got a set this week following 40k miles on the factory rubber which was Hankook. The Hankooks were OK on hwy and OK off road but every little thorn went right through them.
proc
AG
Found the Michelin for $189 per, can't be unhappy about that. Thanks everyone for the input.
HalifaxAg
AG
Nitto Terra Grapplers ftw....
Tarponfly
AG
I drive a hell of a lot of off road miles in my 4Runner and have run BFG KO2s exclusively. They are quiet, have a multi-ply sidewall (where you pick up most of your punctures), and last forever. I am almost 70k into my set and they have not reached the first wear band. The number of miles you are able to squeeze out of any tire is directly proportional to the weight of your vehicle. I may get 75k in a light SUV while a guy driving an F350 may only get 50 running the same tire.
AnScAggie
AG
Can't believe no one has recommended Goodyear.

I run Michelin's.
jrrhouston98
AG
New truck came with 35" Suretrak Wide Climber M/T 2. They are terrible. Loud. Rough. Soft. When I replace them, after probably 15k miles, I'm going with the Michelin LTX M/S.
proc
AG
The Bridgestone Duelers I am replacing lasted about 40k. Not impressed.
TexAggee05
AG
Nitto Terra Grapplers. Have gotten 70k + on the last 3 sets, and that's not running them bald either.
TexAggee05
AG
Wildman15
AG
swampstander said:

The answer as always is BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2.
ursusguy
AG
At last year's Black Friday sale I bought a set of Pathfinder AT's at the local DT. Got the 4 for a price I really liked. They told me up front that it would be 2 hours because they had to go get 2 from another store. I had a phone, I'm good. At the two hour mark, the manager walked up and said today was my lucky day. His guy accidentally grabbed two slightly different sized Pathfinders. So he gave me 4 BFG KO2s for the same price I bought the 4 Pathfinder ATs. I got 4 BFG KO2 for $760.
cityagboy
AG
swampstander said:

The answer as always is BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2.
alittleright
I had nitto terra grapplers on my old f150 and got about 75k miles out of them
I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my current Tundra with about 60K miles on them and they are still fine
kyledr04
AG
+1 on the Michelins. Also had good luck with Bfg rugged trail
The Catfish
AG
How often you rotating those? I'm at 70k+ on a set of Revo 2s. Rotate them every 7-10k miles and they have been great. Just starting to look at replacing them.
proc
AG
The Catfish said:

How often you rotating those? I'm at 70k+ on a set of Revo 2s. Rotate them every 7-10k miles and they have been great. Just starting to look at replacing them.
Every 5k.
G-Town Cracker
AG
Just hit 80k with the BFG's that came on my Tundra. It will be hard for me not to order another set when the time comes.
OnlyForNow
AG
Do you ever get your truck over 4K RPM?
TheGroupGuy
I put the Michelin ATX on my Tundra and got 90,000 miles out of the first set. The current set has 60,000 miles on it still plenty tread. Keep inflated and really Rotate every 5,000 miles.
MAROON
AG
Quote:

Edit: the Michelin LTX Defender M/S is a great tire as well but more leaning highway, dirt roads, and not heavy off road (but does well there as well)

A set of these are being put on my Tundra as I type this. Replacing a set of Hankook tires that I got 60k out of and probably could have gone another 5-10k, but I've got a couple of 2000 mile round trips coming up in the next few months so I decided to go ahead and make the change now.
proc
AG
They have been so smooth. Very nice riding tires.
I should be studying 11
AG
TdoubleH said:

I'm getting 60k+ Out of my Toyo AT2s. Rotate every oil change. I'll stick with them.
Toyo AT2 is the correct answer
TylerAg98
AG
My Nitto Ridge Grapplers are BY FAR the best tires that I have had on my truck. Tread life has been excellent and they are extremely quiet. I will be getting another set when these wear out. They also balance great.
AggieMPH2005
Sorry for the thread bump but this is the best recent tire discussion on the site. For those running the Michelin LTX AT2's how do they perform in the snow?

Live in DFW and go hunting in Montana occasionally and wanting to switch from my LTX defenders to an all terrain. Off road is limited to the deer lease where it gets muddy, and the very occasional snow covered logging road up north. 2013 F150 4wd
zarbas77
AG
I have 52K on my Nitto Ridge Grapplers and probably have another 10K or more left on them. I love 'em. But they aren't cheap.

Personally can't do Goodyear or their products (Cooper). They are just too woke for me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bbr4132
I have about 1k miles on a set of Ridge Grapplers and they are not loud at all. Haven't had them off road yet, but so far they've been good on highway and in the rain.

I got about 70k out of a set of Terra Grapplers and although noisy, they were by far the best performing truck tires, both on and off road, I've ever had. I hope the new Ridge Grapplers follow suit.

Prior to the Terra Grapplers, I had a set of BFG AT's and they were a huge disappointment. Decent off road, but wore really fast and were dangerously bad in wet conditions. I had to get rid of them at 40k.

Edit to add: I wanted to get Terra Grapplers again but tire salesman warned they were being phased out in favor of the Ridge Grapplers. Said if I damaged a tire a year or two from now, there's a chance I wouldn't be able to find a matching replacement. Of course he could have just been up-selling me, but he had Ridge Grapplers on his truck, which was enough to convince me.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I am not familiar enough with their performance in snow to make any sort of recommendation but the LTX M/S (now the MS2) was rated decent in snow. If I am not mistaken, the M was for mud and S for snow.

Regarding the other post below yours, I can't stand Goodyear. Wokeness aside, their truck/SUV tires have sucked for a really long time. You'll find someone that has good luck with them every now and again but they're the exception and not the rule. Stay the hell away from them.
SWCBonfire
AG
I have been a huge proponent of Michelins for most of my life, their tread design and rubber compounds are as good as or better than others.

But I've had two LTX A/T2's recently go bad, and my father has as well. Bulge under the tread each time. They have some quality issues, at least with LT275/65R20's. That is unacceptable in a premium tire.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Don't disagree! Once they started offering them as a factory tire it seems like quality diminished. I can't speak personally to the their recent quality but your comments align with what I have heard through people that do know. Michelin does make a great tire but it seems like the A/T2s might not be one of them.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.