Outdoors
Sponsored by

Moving to Memphis

6,306 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RustyBoltz
kdm_01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cross posted from Around The Nation because this is where I spend my texags time and I enjoy the OB's humor.

Looking for the do's, dont's and recommendations of moving to Memphis.
Have heard/read good things of Germantown area.

Situation:
Will work on south side in vicinity of airport.
Two elementary aged kids. Public school preferred.
Will be looking to buy, around the 400 range.

Thanks!
John Cocktolstoy
Good luck! I hear good things about the area, but I would love to live outside of town I guess...have a little more land.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
water turkey
Go check out Dale Watson's new place in Memphis.
Buck Turgidson
[img][/img]
powerbelly
AG
Iirc many people live in Mississippi and commute to Memphis.
AlAggie
AG
Don't live in Memphis. Go south across the Mississippi line. Southaven, Nesbit, Olive Branch, Hernando.
Avoid Shelby Avenue at all costs when going to your job near the airport. Carry always, and don't try to take any of the teddy bears off of the utility poles. Good luck.
Wodanaz
AG
Man, that sucks. I've been unpleasantly surprised by 3 cities in my life that I had much different visions of before visiting; those are Corpus Christi, Tulsa, and Memphis. I was thinking smallish town, blues, barbecue, hot rods, freaking Elvis! Then I saw a man get murdered on the sidewalk in front of McDonalds just down the street from Graceland. They were painting over the graffiti on Graceland's gates when we drove by. I couldn't wait to leave and never go back.

I know there are great people and nice neighborhoods, and you'll likely love it there, but damned if I didn't get the chamber of commerce's nightmare of a first & last impression.
rootube
AG
I lived in Lakeland outside Memphis 20 years ago, I liked it, and prefered it to Germantown. The taxes there were as low as I have ever seen. Of course, if I was being robbed or my house caught fire I probably would have been on my own.

Ha! I checked and on the map above it's in the "People afraid of living in the big city" and "people avoiding taxes", which sounds about right.

The airport really is in a bad part of town. Our old office was there and our building was a fortress surrounded by a high fence with drug deals and prostitutes surrounding the perimeter.
rlb28
AG
Then I'm walking in Memphis
Walking with my feet ten feet off of Beale
Walking in Memphis
But do I really feel the way I feel?

They've got catfish on the table
They've got gospel in the air
And Reverend Green be glad to see you
When you haven't got a prayer
But, boy, you've got a prayer in Memphis

Good luck!
kdm_01
AG
Hmm. Any duck hunting benefits to a TN vs. MS license in that part of the world?
Centerpole90
AG
I got a kick out of that map too. About 30 years ago I lived under the $$ in Germantown and worked (when I was @ the office, not traveling) in the 'slums' not far from the airport/Graceland. Holy Crap. If I'd seen that map right out of A&M I might not have worked there... but hey, I was there before Danny Owen went to jail - and Danny's right down the road wasn't a bad place for having an afternoon beer in 1990.

I have fond memories of Memphis, or at least the Mid-South as region if not Memphis in particular. Still maintain friendship with some of the people I met there.
rootube
AG
Centerpole90 said:

I got a kick out of that map too. About 30 years ago I lived under the $$ in Germantown and worked (when I was @ the office, not traveling) in the 'slums' not far from the airport/Graceland. Holy Crap. If I'd seen that map right out of A&M I might not have worked there... but hey, I was there before Danny Owen went to jail - and Danny's right down the road wasn't a bad place for having an afternoon beer in 1990.

I have fond memories of Memphis, or at least the Mid-South as region if not Memphis in particular. Still maintain friendship with some of the people I met there.

I feel exactly the same way. I really enjoyed my time there and met a ton of great people.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I have an office in Memphis. I really like Germantown. I would live there. I might end up there eventually. I also spend a lot of time in the area by University of Memphis. Both of those areas off of Poplar are good places to look.

Most of our company lives in either Gerrmantown, Lakeland/Wolfchase, or just south into Mississippi.
memace
AG
I live out in Eads just outside Collierville. The best bets for the public schools are Germantown Collierville and Southaven. Grew up in Germantown and it is an awesome area. Keep in mind if you are looking for houses in the area be ready to move quick.
Buck Turgidson
I know a good church in Southaven, but I don't know much else about it. Germantown is pretty nice, as others have already posted.
MemphisAg1
AG
Lived in Memphis 13 years. Put three kids through a good public high school in the suburbs, and then on to A&M. Like most urban areas, it's got its downsides and upsides. Feel free to PM me and I can share more color.
zooguy96
Just move 350 miles to the east. East Tennessee is where its at!
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
MemphisAg1
AG
AlAggie said:

Don't live in Memphis. Go south across the Mississippi line. Southaven, Nesbit, Olive Branch, Hernando.
Avoid Shelby Avenue at all costs when going to your job near the airport. Carry always, and don't try to take any of the teddy bears off of the utility poles. Good luck.
There are good suburbs in TN where there is no state income tax. Property taxes weren't bad, about 1.5% of appraised value. Do the math to determine what's best for your situation.
RockwallAg
AG
Oxford is great and only about a 40-45 minute commute.

Olive Branch used to be nice but has quickly become Garland

Germantown is nice
Buck Turgidson
MemphisAg1 said:

Lived in Memphis 13 years. Put three kids through a good public high school in the suburbs, and then on to A&M. Like most urban areas, it's got its downsides and upsides. Feel free to PM me and I can share more color.
I see what you did there.
Mookie
AG
AlAggie said:

Nailed it.
TexDill15
AG
AlAggie said:

I have a cousin that works at the airport for FedEx lives outside of Olive Branch on 10 acres. He's doing life right from what I can tell.
agcraigb
AG
Do's: Don't live in Memphis
Don'ts: Live in Memphis
carl spacklers hat
I've heard West Memphis is nice.

Edit to add: On a serious note, check out Collierville. Have relatives in the area, recently moved there. Great community, east of Memphis in TN.
kdm_01
AG
Good stuff, everybody. Thanks for the continued input.
rilloaggie
AG
Your going to want to check your speed when you're passing through Estelline on the way to Childress to buy groceries... oh, wait..
jrbaggie
Eat at Gus's Fried Chicken every chance you get.
4stringAg
AG
AgEng98
Are you teleporting? There's no way you can make the airport from Oxford proper in less than an hour. 78/22 is a mess from the freight terminal on in. Going through Batesville and up 55 takes at least that long.
Windy City Ag
AG
Don't get too excited about Charlie Vergo's Rendevouz. We would always stay at the Peabody and eat there when driving back to Texas from the Midwest. I have never understood why people like those ribs so much.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Our VP loves that place and takes us every time I am in town.... I, like you, am not impressed.

There are some really good ribs in that town though.
rootube
AG
Rendezvous is not even the most overrated in Memphis. That title goes to Corky's BBQ. The most underrated restaurants in Memphis are the "Meat and three" joints. Not sure why that concept is not more popular everywhere. There was a place in Olive Branch that was incredible.
jaseev
If you can afford the $400k range as your post stated look into MS in the Lewisburg school district, it's south of Olive Branch but all new schools, great sports and close to interstate 269. The houses hitting the market right now are getting sold quickly and for more than the asking price with buyers bidding up the price. Or you can look east of Olive Branch in the Center Hill School area. Lived here since '97, I work at the airport and either area puts you about a 35 min. commute with traffic most days. As previously stated becareful and aware or your surroundings in the airport area, And always hesitate to go when the traffic light turns green, I've seen many a car get plowed into here.
Puryear Playboy
AG
I occasionally teach at a private facility that caters to military special missions units that's not far from West Memphis. At night when we are done shooting you can sit outside and listen to the residents shooting in West Memphis.
Iowaggie
AG
Curious if OP picked a location.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.