Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ammo shortage

8,725 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by powerbelly
mm98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jag1075 said:

I have had luck ordering off of ProBass and doing free ship to store. Make an account, make a wish list, check wishlist periodically and order when available. I have landed bulk packs of the main calibers at relatively normal pricing.

I'll second this comment. If you're willing to wait on BassPro and work through their clunky site, you can have it shipped to the store at non-gouged pricing.
Spotted Ag
AG
AnScAggie said:

Where you been for the last 6 months???
off the grid....
lexofer
AG
I ordered some special shotshells from BassPro. They took longer than they said to come in and when they did come in they never notified me. I e-mailed to ask about the status, BassPro said they had gotten there the week before and they were only holding them for one more day. If I didn't get there that day they were cancelling my order.
BlueSmoke
hunter2012
AG
BlueSmoke said:

There's some closeted ammosexuals around here, that's for sure...
BlueSmoke
Friend of mine near Millersview/Dule area has a ranch and "had" a small single-wide on the property. His marine cousin had accumulated close to 15K rounds of 5.56 + a large assortment of other calibers in the trailer. Welp, trailer caught on fire. The assumption was either electrical or lightning strike. Either way dozens of ammo cans bloated and bulging out with rounds popping off. Firefighters said it sounded like a steady stream of popcorn going off.
yakin ag
AG
Components are scarce as well. I can't find small rifle or magnum small rifle primers anywhere, and no H-1000.
jabberwalkie09
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

Thank god for companies like RCBS

That's a funny way to spell Dillon or Mark 7 (I wish).
schmellba99
AG
yakin ag said:

Components are scarce as well. I can't find small rifle or magnum small rifle primers anywhere, and no H-1000.
That's why you stock up when they are available, even if you know they will sit on the shelf for a while.
lexofer
AG
I had trouble finding small pistol primers for 3 years after the first Obama election. Election years you especially need to make sure you have several years of supply.
BrazosDog02
AG
El Chupacabra said:

BackPocket said:

Panic buyers, first time gun owners, and guys who think they "need" 25,000 rounds of everything they own. Thanks hoarders.
Walks to basement...

What ammo shortage?

Yep. Just last month I was wondering how to know when one has enough ammo. Considering I didn't realize there was an ammo shortage going on since January, I guess I have my answer.
O.G.
I have plenty of Rooty Tooty in the face Shooty......

Training ammo that I am willing to burn at the range is getting harder to come by though.
mm98
AG
I find more and more I just pay the increased price at my local range and just burn theirs for practice. Saves my own inventory.
Aggieangler93
AG
I'd love to find some .223 or .555 locally, but have all but given up.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
BenderRodriguez
AG
SAWgunner said:

I have plenty of Rooty Tooty in the face Shooty......

Training ammo that I am willing to burn at the range is getting harder to come by though.

Mostly the same.

Though I picked the dumbest possible year to get into a couple calibers.

Thankfully they can mostly just be put on the back burner until next year.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

555 or 556, whatever it takes.
yakin ag
AG
schmellba99 said:

yakin ag said:

That's why you stock up when they are available, even if you know they will sit on the shelf for a while.
I just decided to start reloading a couple of weeks ago...bad timing for sure! I'm doing great on ammo, just not components.
Aggietaco
AG
Lots of brass and steel 7.62 floating around. AK getting more action these days despite needing double layer hearing protection for that 10" barrel.
Pookers
AG
As mentioned earlier. Just browse sgammo and get on a notification list. I had some luck scoring a decent chunk of 5.56 a couple weeks ago.
76Ag
AG
Short supply? It's non-existent.
Aggieangler93
AG
CE Lounge Lizzard said:

Aggieangler93 said:

Lol....damn
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
agsalaska
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

CE Lounge Lizzard said:

Aggieangler93 said:

Lol....damn
I bet my .556 would shoot a .555. You know, in a pinch.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

El Chupacabra
Locally, the shelves are stuffed with all the popular and not so popular rifle calibers, but limits on 223/556. Pistol ammo is gone like a fart in the wind. They had A box of 40, NO 9, overpriced 45, and a smattering of personal defense ammo in other pistol calibers.
Wycliffe
This seems to be a good article on the topic.

https://www.recoilweb.com/why-is-the-ammo-gone-162059.html

I really hope it doesn't take as long as they predict for it to return to normal.
DayAg!
S
I'm down to 2 mags worth of sub .300 blkout. That my friends is critical. Not to mention all the rest I have is fairly low.
"Poor soul, he was just too high strung. I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear."
AstroAggie15
AG
DayAg! said:

I'm down to 2 mags worth of sub .300 blkout. That my friends is critical. Not to mention all the rest I have is fairly low.

I reload you some for $5.00 a round
MattAg98
AG
In the past two weeks I have found some 9mm ammo, but you have to be lucky enough to find it at the time they are listing it, because it sells out in a couple of minutes.
These are the sites I was able to purchase from. Each time I ordered ammo, the listing went out of stock just a few minutes after i placed my order.

Natchez
SG Ammo
Palmetto State Armory
P.H. Dexippus
AG
fourth deck
AG
Whatever you do, don't buy from these A-holes!

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/sellier-and-bellot-9mm-luger-ammunition-fmj-124-grains/FC-AMM-4154-50.html
Morpholino
AG
7.62x39, 40SW, 300BO super at CS Academy right now.
GeorgiAg
AG
I boughtt a 22lr conversion kit for my AR so I can find ammo and it's cheap.
TheEyeGuy
AG
GeorgiAg said:

I boughtt a 22lr conversion kit for my AR so I can find ammo and it's cheap.
If you can find it, get it now. I've already throttled how much 22lr I'm selling because I can't get more.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
lexofer
AG
Crap, I've been sitting here laughing at everyone that didn't stock up on ammo and just realized I'm low on 22. At least I have a ton of .223 components so I'll just not have cheap practice sessions for a while.
mm98
AG
Dicks in Katy had a **** ton last week.
UTExan
Spotted Ag said:

If I shoot up all my stock then we have more serious issues on our hands.

Bingo. I am glad that back in the day, I bought that 440 round spam can of 7.62 x 54r for my one M44. That thing spouts enough flame to scorch or blind anybody who gets within a few feet of the muzzle. Oh and the spike bayonet...
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.