Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ammo shortage

8,403 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by powerbelly
Spotted Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haven't been to the stores in a while but was told that common ammo is in short supply. What say you OB?
bdgol07
AG
Been that way for awhile now
BenderRodriguez
AG
Its fine, everything is fine.

powerbelly
AG
I am struggling to even find 10mm.

I was at bass pro a few days ago and they sold out of a pallet of 9mm target ammo in 1 hour. That was limiting purchases to 2 boxes/person.
Spotted Ag
AG
If I shoot up all my stock then we have more serious issues on our hands.
Ag_07
AG
Spotted Ag said:

What say you OB?

I'd say your correct. Been this way since March
rally-cap
AG
From what I'm gathering, its a primer shortage, at least a large part of it. My ammo sponsor posted something the other day about a large primer order they placed, and the primer supplier only filled like 10% of the order. They say they have most of the other components in good supply, its the primers that are putting the kink in the line for them.
P.U.T.U
AG
I bought 200 rounds of 6.8spc for $160 a few months ago, now it is $250 and is about par where ever it is in stock. I need to do some sighting in so it will be the 3-4 rounds and leave to conserve ammo.
RCR06
AG
Yes
Rockdoc
AG
Get on SG Ammo wait/notification list and you'll get it. It took me about 3 weeks but I got my 1000 round case of 9mm.
EMY92
AG
I was fortunate, I stocked up in March right when things were starting to lock down and prices jumped.
BackPocket
Panic buyers, first time gun owners, and guys who think they "need" 25,000 rounds of everything they own. Thanks hoarders.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
It's bad. I am limiting ammo to one box of range and one box of defensive for 9mm WITH gun purchase and I'm still watching my stock go down.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
556 has been better but... that's not saying much. I actually released a few cases of that to Texags recently and no idea when I'll have more for that.
I Like Mike
AG
That is why Im about to buy a new AK

AnScAggie
AG
Where you been for the last 6 months???
Buck Turgidson
Is it mostly pistol ammo? I had no real trouble buying a bunch of 5.56 and .308 from SGammo. I had it at my door step in about a week.
JonSnow
When will this shortage go away? I am down to what I consider "barebones" supply of 9mm and 556. Alli can currently shoot is 22 and 380.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
JonSnow said:

When will this shortage go away? I am down to what I consider "barebones" supply of 9mm and 556. Alli can currently shoot is 22 and 380.
End of year, at least. Talking to distributors, the allocation list is getting worse and worse. Everyone rushed production of what they could and that kept supply coming out pretty well at first, but now there are supply chain issues that are slowing things down on production.
agsalaska
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Is it mostly pistol ammo? I had no real trouble buying a bunch of 5.56 and .308 from SGammo. I had it at my door step in about a week.
Yes. There is zero pistol ammunition at the major stores after the mornings. But I have seen all of the rifle ammo and rimfire ammo. Even odd ball pistol ammo is hard to find.

But hopefully most people have enough pistol ammo to outlast any of this. Like another poster said if I burn thru all of my pistol ammo we have a different issue on our hands. I have learned that lesson.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
IronRed13
AG
This was Academy in Houston last weekend. Oddly enough this is one of the few times they've had Grendel in stock when I wanted it
HumbleAg04
AG
It is pissing me off. Using the extra covid time to run pistol drills and running out of 9MM. Down to like 1200 range rds.

To be fair the mag dump with my AR9 at steel was wasteful but damn it is fun hearing it ring.
AggieMPH2005
I couldn't find 30/30 this past weekend, I stopped at 5 stores.

I understand 556, 9mm, and 45. But hoarding 30/30?

I ended up having to use ammoseek to find a place that had some, and even then they only had Privi Partizan at a decent price.
EMY92
AG
The manufactures likely aren't making as much of the ammo with lower demand. So, when it runs out, it's not being re-stocked.
mm98
AG
AggieMPH2005 said:

I couldn't find 30/30 this past weekend, I stopped at 5 stores.

I understand 556, 9mm, and 45. But hoarding 30/30?

I ended up having to use ammoseek to find a place that had some, and even then they only had Privi Partizan at a decent price.

I find Dicks Sporting Goods In Katy has plenty of 30-30. I'll check again today and if it's still there I'll let you know...
AggieMPH2005
Thanks for the offer mm98 but I received my box of 200 from SGA ammo yesterday. So I am good for a while. I was just surprised by it is all. I am not used to stores being fully stocked on 8mm Mauser, 338 RCM, and 280ai but no 30/30.

I am normally stocked up on everything but was at bass pro and ended up coming home with a 336 dark series. Turns out it's not a great time to be adding a new caliber to the safe.
Betoisafurry
Does anyone know what day academy gets deliveries? Bunker hill had 20 rnd boxes of green tip 5.56 a few weeks back but I haven't seen it since.
mm98
AG
You have to ask individual stores. I find the one in Aliana (Richmond TX) seems to get some on Friday mornings. I was able to pick up 300 rounds of 9mm one friday morning a month ago.

I got luck at Bass Pro in Katy two weeks ago as well.

I've also struck out a dozen times in the past two months, too. Very frustrating.
BlueSmoke
It's bad. I was able to find four boxes of ammo in 9mm online, by the time I got to the payment screen, I could only get two.
MouthBQ98
AG
Can't take CHL tests without several boxes of ammo.
BlueSmoke
Scheels in The Colony had stacks of Wolf 9mm a week or so ago? Not sure where they stand now.
BlueSmoke
MouthBQ98 said:

Can't take CHL tests without several boxes of ammo.
Or they might have to allow steel case ammo (which is all I"m seeing these days)
El Chupacabra
BackPocket said:

Panic buyers, first time gun owners, and guys who think they "need" 25,000 rounds of everything they own. Thanks hoarders.
Walks to basement...

What ammo shortage?
jag1075
AG
I have had consistent luck on Friday mornings as well (Westheimer & Voss location). Talking to people there picking up ammo is that other stores in the area restock at the same time. I don't have experience on other stores though.

I have had luck ordering off of ProBass and doing free ship to store. Make an account, make a wish list, check wishlist periodically and order when available. I have landed bulk packs of the main calibers at relatively normal pricing.
AstroAggie15
AG
Thank god for companies like RCBS
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.