Outdoors
Sponsored by

Can I ask an indoor question? (Wood floors)

2,278 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by schmellba99
Fleen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, I posted this on the Home Improvement Board but, well, OB knows stuff...

Single car garage that had been converted to a front room. Pulled up the carpet, found this flooring underneath. Full tongue and groove planks running the length of the room. Plunged a hole at the only seam (non-full length plank) just to check out the underlay situation...

What's the best way to finish these out? Sand and stain? What kind of wood do you think this is? Thoughts, ideas, recommendations?

BoerneGator
AG
Looks to be #1 yellow pine. Looks like new, and should finish nicely.
Centerpole90
AG
I second BG.... Yellow pine floors can finish beautifully. Our first home had pine floors in the kitchen area - they were a great accent contrasting with the hardwood in the balance of the house. Sand, stain, and finish away; you'll be happy.

eta, and why are those images flagged? is this f16?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
The mods really need to disable this flagging feature. It's annoying as hell and I can't think of a single time I saw an inappropriate image after I clicked on it.
Old RV Ag
AG
Yes, good pine and will finish nicely. Many people will suggest light stains or just a polyurethane finish. With pine, I've found a dark stain (like dark walnut Minwax) really makes a striking floor.
Fleen
Thanks all!

Anybody done a full floor sand and stain? I mean I can YouTube it but I like to hear from you guys.

Thanks for the strain color recommendation, OldRV...

Now I need to find a matching piece to fix my hole.
Also, the floor is pretty squeaky, would nailing to the floor joists help?
BQ_90
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

The mods really need to disable this flagging feature. It's annoying as hell and I can't think of a single time I saw an inappropriate image after I clicked on it.
They make it easier to post pictures then make it even easier to keep,them from displaying.

Tx-Ag2010
AG
BQ_90 said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

They make it easier to post pictures then make it even easier to keep,them from displaying.

I'm honestly kinda curious what kind of traumatic childhood would lead to someone being triggered by actual pictures of hardwood flooring.
Fleen

Tx-Ag2010
LEJ
BQ_90 said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

3D chess bro. I can't wait for the next act.
Fleen
Fleen said:

Thanks all!

Anybody done a full floor sand and stain? I mean I can YouTube it but I like to hear from you guys.

Now, back to my other questions...
Gary79Ag
AG
Fleen said:

Fleen said:

Thanks all!

Now, back to my other questions...
Yep, sure wouldn't hurt to do that provided the floor joists are sound!
BQ_90
AG
LEJ said:

BQ_90 said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

3D chess bro. I can't wait for the next act.
Mods will be identified with mod tag, but they'll have 20 mod socks to post under
Fleen
Bumping this again, any of you experts have any more input? Builder93 on the Home Improvement Board recommended an orbital. Room is about 12x14,unfinished.
Burdizzo
AG
Fleen said:

Free AR parts
Fleen
Would top mailing to the hosts help with the squeaking or make it worse?
Old RV Ag
AG
Fleen said:

Que?
Fleen
Old RV Ag said:

Fleen said:

Que?

Wow, try this "... top NAILING to the JOISTS..."
schmellba99
AG
Nail to the joists, but nail at a 30-45 degree angle to keep movement from loosening the nails.

An orbital sander will work, I sanded a floor at my house in college about 2x that with a 5" orbital by hand. Took time, but it was all I had and it worked. If you are going to stain and coat, don't go past about 180 grit - you want some profile to allow the urethane to adhere well. Sand lightly with a fine grit between coats (400 grit or so). Give the urethane plenty of time to really cure between coats and sanding.
Fleen
Thanks, these being unfinished (basically a sub floor for carpeting) do I need to start with a 40 grit or so and work my way up? I'm not taking any finish or seal of, just a few spots that have a "ghosting" of the pad...
schmellba99
AG
Fleen said:

Thanks, these being unfinished (basically a sub floor for carpeting) do I need to start with a 40 grit or so and work my way up? I'm not taking any finish or seal of, just a few spots that have a "ghosting" of the pad...
Hard to say, but the pics look like it is in pretty good shape. I would probably go with 80 or 120, then move to 180 and finish with a 240 before sanding myself. Others may have better input, I've only finished floors a couple of times and am far from an expert.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.