Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help me with a giant yellow jacket nest

13,490 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fightin TX Aggie
ConstructionAg01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

One of my kids noticed this nest on Monday while cleaning up downed trees after a wind storm. I suppose it has been there for a long time and we've not realized it. The nest is 20-24" in diameter and about 15 feet off the ground. I've been brainstorming how to remove this thing, preferably with a method that eradicates the occupants as well. It is my property on both sides of the fence.

How would you tackle this?

Tools at my disposal:
Gas powered pole saw
Tyvek suit, respirator, other sufficient PPE
20' extension ladder
8' ladder
6-8 cans of wasp spray

Currently, my best plan is an early morning chemical assault with full PPE from an 8' ladder. I've read night is the best time, but would rather have at least a little light to see plus have the cool of the morning.

Anyone have a flamethrower I could borrow?

Thoughts?
zooguy96
I'd offer nothing better than a tiki torch attached to a long pole. Sounds like it'd be fun!

In reality, I'd probably cut the tree its one, run like hell, and then come in later and spray it with wasp spray.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
PneumAg
I would nuke your entire yard from orbit. Holy ****
purplehayes
Definitely a grenade and a large slingshot
[quote=chiken]today I shall be dippin' my hooters in pudding and posting them on the internet![/quote]
EFE
AG
Pressure washer with the foam/soap attachment, some Palmolive, your tyvek suit and a gopro
Ronnie
AG
6-8 cans of wasp spray seems woefully inadequate

Those suckers are going to be flying everywhere, are you going to have help?

Why not hire someone who does this for a living ?
normaleagle05
AG
Whatever you do you're gonna need a tripod and a video camera.
ConstructionAg01
AG
PneumAg said:

Nuclear blast was my first idea, but my wife shot that one down.
PneumAg
ConstructionAg01 said:

PneumAg said:

Nuclear blast was my first idea, but my wife shot that one down.

Divorce her and find a younger hotter one who will let you do what you want
87IE
AG
Outside city limits.... Tannerite

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Mountain Howitzer.
ConstructionAg01
AG
Ronnie said:

Why not hire someone who does this for a living ?
That would make sense, but with the location and how hard it is to access, I don't want to find out how much they'd charge me. The terrain on the other side of the fence is densely wooded and on a steep slope.
rootube
AG
Just get a stick and hit it like a pinata. Just kidding. I'm horrified even looking at that thing.

will.mcg
AG
Shoot with buckshot from a safe distance.
Ronnie
AG
Ok. The way I see it you'll need some other people geared up ready to help you. Once you drop that nest it needs to go in a trash can full of something to smother the hive (soapy water will probably be fine) Then you and your padnuhs can go to town on the strays. Make sure you have good gloves and full coverage Of all your body, taped off sleeves, head completely covered, epi pens on standby. Make a little plan of attack and stick to it.

Maybe get under the nest with the can and have it close so that you minimize the chance of the nest falling and everything going more crazy than this whole thing sounds.

Have an emergency plan ready to go with the house if something goes wrong and y'all need to take someone out of there. Designated driver and gassed up vehicle ready, first aid ready to treat, epi pens.
LEJ
normaleagle05 said:

Whatever you do you're gonna need a tripod and a video camera.

And some booze
AgsMnn
AG
Are you in the country?
Do you have lots of oak trees around?
ConstructionAg01
AG
AgsMnn said:

Are you in the country?
Do you have lots of oak trees around?
In the city limits. Yes, lots of live oak, burr oak, Monterrey oak, and red oak.
zachsccr
AG
1. Video camera
2. Position a trash can with lid directly below nest
3. Add excessive amount of tannerite to can
4. (This is where it gets dicey) cut the nest down so it falls in the can, slam on lid before Armageddon occurs
5. Move the guy who cut the nest clear, and blow the boogers to high heaven.
jakeaggie84
AG
Is it currently occupied or maybe an old one??

I would say tie a couple pounds of tanerite to a rope and raise it up slowly next to it then shoot!
AgsMnn
AG
Reason I ask, if it's in the country, away from the house, wasp can actually be good for keeping web worms and things down in oak trees and pecans trees.

Trust me, I kill them all around the house, but leave them be away from the house. They serve a purpose that helps the trees.

At least that's what I was told. My FIL might be yanking my chain.
shalackin
AG
Mas89
AG
Hornet nest? May be hornets instead of wasp.
I have one in the top of a large hollow cypress tree next to a creek. Have been wanting the cypress tree for a project but not sure I want it bad enough to mess with the hornets which are in the top of the trunk. Will look to see if I have a pic.
BoerneGator
AG
Leave it alone, if they pose no actual threat to you; and they'll eat a lot of mosquitoes.
Mas89
AG
Similar to this one but larger and standing.
TxSquarebody
Floor it until you see God
ConstructionAg01
AG
Hmmm. I might be willing to live and let live if they eat other pests.

And yes, it is most certainly occupied. I'll get a better look this evening with some binoculars to verify yellow jackets versus hornets. I saw them well enough from the ground that they seem too small to be hornets.
Slamn Sharpe
If you're not careful a downed nest is gonna send several of those yellowjackets into your home.

Dawn soap mixed in water. Spray the crap out of it
Oyster DuPree
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

Hmmm. I might be willing to live and let live if they eat other pests.

And yes, it is most certainly occupied. I'll get a better look this evening with some binoculars to verify yellow jackets versus hornets. I saw them well enough from the ground that they seem too small to be hornets.

All the potential for chaos and entertainment from the suggestions in this thread and the advice you listen to is to leave them alone!? Man, what a letdown.
Slamn Sharpe
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2013/06/25/giant-yellow-jacket-nest-destroyed-in-florida.html

Largest nest ever?
Slamn Sharpe
You have a "bald-face hornet nest" btw
3 Toed Pete
AG
Only problem with leaving it is op has kids. When I was a kid, seeing a nest meant a group of us throwing rocks at it and running like hell. If no one got stung, repeat.
Billy Foster
AG
No f'ing way that thing lands in a trash can at the bottom of that thick stuff. Unless you have a secret Plinko strategy, that thing stays or burns.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
This. I was faster than all my friends.
yaterag
AG
In the city I have no idea, out in the country I'd just try and shoot it down from a long ways off. I guess you could suit up and try to knock it down with a fiberglass hot stick. Then proceed to waste a case of wasp spray killing the hornets.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.