Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help me with a giant yellow jacket nest

13,499 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fightin TX Aggie
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pear burner + ladder + protective clothing?
SWCBonfire
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

AggieChemist said:

Yellow jackets build their nests underground.

Not all. Depends on specific species.

In Texas, yellow paper wasps are called "yellowjackets." They are not the species called yellow jackets on the east coast.

And that's a hornet's nest, not paper wasp. Seen a few in pecan trees in riverbottoms but they are not very common.
P.U.T.U
AG
Not the giant Asian hornet but same rule applies

AggieChemist
AG
Normal folk: bluegill
Texans: BRIM!

Normal folk: Drum
Texans: TROUT!

Normal folk: hornet
Texans: AERIAL TEXAS MUH TEXAS YELLOWJACKET DAGNABBIT!
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Here you go...

What I learned is to wait until winter.
gomerschlep
AG
AggieChemist
AG
I have reclaimed several hornets nests. I just grab them in deer season after a few good, hard freezes.
ConstructionAg01
AG
rfvgy12 said:

Martin Cash said:

That's not a yellow jacket nest.

Honey Wasp. Non aggressive and good pollination.

I have one that size in my front tree above my entry way. Leave them alone.
Winner winner. Nice work from some limited pics!

Short version - They are indeed honey wasps (Mexican honey wasp to be specific) and due to the wreckage last night with some severe storms, I have a lot more work on my hands cleaning up our property the next several weeks than to deal with the nest. Sorry for the let down.

Longer version - I used binoculars last night and got a close up. They are too small to be bald-faced hornets and don't have the coloration of yellow jackets or other similar variants. Googled images and found a match. The nest is typical for what and where they build. Around 8pm Kerr County got hammered with a tremendous storm and I lost several large trees. Property is a mess. Much of Kerrville is a mess. Neighbors and employees will be needing help for weeks, maybe longer. And the Mexican honey wasp nest survived somehow.
rednecked
AG
here you go! a stimulus check will make this quite affordable!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-The-Boring-Company-Not-A-Flamethrower-Fire-Extinguisher-and-5-Letter/274379301664?hash=item3fe247e320:g:PvwAAOSwUxhezsiR
ldg397
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

rfvgy12 said:

Martin Cash said:

Short version - They are indeed honey wasps (Mexican honey wasp to be specific) and due to the wreckage last night with some severe storms, I have a lot more work on my hands cleaning up our property the next several weeks than to deal with the nest. Sorry for the let down.

Longer version - I used binoculars last night and got a close up. They are too small to be bald-faced hornets and don't have the coloration of yellow jackets or other similar variants. Googled images and found a match. The nest is typical for what and where they build. Around 8pm Kerr County got hammered with a tremendous storm and I lost several large trees. Property is a mess. Much of Kerrville is a mess. Neighbors and employees will be needing help for weeks, maybe longer. And the Mexican honey wasp nest survived somehow.

Shorter version: My wife won't let me do any of the things y'all suggest!!
Slamn Sharpe
GrimesCoAg95 said:

Here you go...

What I learned is to wait until winter.

Very interesting video. So is he selling the venom?
PooDoo
AG
Might consider having someone with a leaf blower watching your back. Might not be great against a huge swarm but it works pretty well against a smaller nest when they swarm.
BlueSmoke
There is only one answer, and it is this: flamethrower mounted on a drone. Ironically, it looks identical to the pic posted.

This is awesome

Moon Shadow
I recall as a kid in Minnesota, my father found a large hornet nest one winter. He shook the branch it was on & nothing happened, no buzz, no hornets.
He cut down the branch & brought it home to hang from a trellis over the back door.
Temperature warmed up and we could NOT go out the back door any more.
Dad shortly (eventually one cold night) took it down poured gasoline on in in a half 5 gallon pail he used to catch old crankcase oil and "lit it up".
Sayanora bugs!
AgCWby90CS
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

rfvgy12 said:

Martin Cash said:

Yes, Mexican Honey Wasps

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/library/landscaping/mexican-honey-wasps/
CWby '90
GrimesCoAg95
AG
McDadeTXAggie,

I went to his website, and he is selling the insects. They basically sell the insects to someone who extracts the venom. The thing that cracked me up is that he had on a T-shirt and gloves.
Slamn Sharpe
I wonder how much he makes on a hive that size? He mentioned putting them in the freezer or did I hear that wrong? I'm guessing he makes the cold enough that he can handle them alive?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
You can call this guy. He knows a guy.

Gilligan
AG
AggieGunslinger
AG
AggieChemist said:

Normal folk: couch
West By God Virginians: Fire Starter

I guess I don't get the second one, what species of drum do we call a trout?
jm94
AG
I recommend watching the first Hunger Games movie for a little inspiration.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Read the "what are the nests used for?" for section.

http://www.mihornetremoval.com/pages/about_us

They are freezing them then sorting them and putting back in the freezer. It says they sell them at the end of the season. I have no idea what they sell for though.

AggieChemist
AG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynoscion_nebulosus
I should be studying 11
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

AggieChemist said:

Normal folk: couch
West By God Virginians: Fire Starter

I guess I don't get the second one, what species of drum do we call a trout?
Speckled Trout would be my guess.
V8Aggie
AG
txags92
AG
AggieChemist said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynoscion_nebulosus
From that article:

Quote:

Spotted seatrout is the common name endorsed by the American Fisheries Society. However, this fish has many other common names, including speckled trout, speck, speckles, spec, truite gris (Louisiana French), trucha de mar (Mexican Spanish), spotted weakfish, spotted seateague, southern seateague, salmon, salmon trout, simon trout, winter trout, seatrout, Nosferatu fish, and black trout. Particularly large ones are nicknamed gator trout.

Don't see "Drum" anywhere in that list of names. So who are the weirdos referring to them as Drum? They are in the Drum family, but nobody seems to call them that. Except maybe landlocked weirdos who burn couches...
txags92
AG
DP
AggieChemist
AG
It's not a trout.
txags92
AG
AggieChemist said:

It's not a trout.
Don't care and not germane to the conversation. What it is and what people call it are two different things. You said "Normal people" called it a Drum. I don't know anybody who calls it a "Drum" that isn't from WV, and the article you posted lists a big list of commonly used names, and none of them are "Drum". All of which suggests that "Normal People" call it anything except "Drum".
AggieChemist
AG
It's a drum.
ChemAg15
AG
You don't have ten fingers. You actually have eight and two thumbs
txags92
AG
AggieChemist said:

It's a drum.
Exactly...it "IS" a drum. "Normal people" call it a speckled trout...or a spotted seatrout. Glad we can agree on that.
big ben
AG
Firework artillery shells underneath....post the vid
Old RV Ag
AG
txags92 said:

AggieChemist said:

It's a drum.
Exactly...it "IS" a drum. "Normal people" call it a speckled trout...or a spotted seatrout. Glad we can agree on that.
Well, I think normal guys would call the one on the right "yummy"

Hewey Calloway
AG
AggieChemist said:

I grew up calling bluegill perch or sunfish. Rarely hear them referred to as brim.

I've never heard specs called a drum. I feel like only an ass hole would call them drum so they're "technically" correct.

Always called them wasps or hornets.

I'm interested to know what other things we're doing wrong down here in Texas.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.