Outdoors
Sponsored by

DSA L1A1 rifle

4,303 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by highvelocity
highvelocity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recently found a "fal" rifle on the cheap with what appears to be a very gummed up receiver. See picture 1. I think it's just old packing grease, thoughts?

Details on the rifle

DSA L1A1 sporter in 308
Folding stock
Receiver made by imbel
Imported by CAI

Anyone have any info on these? I don't know too much about them, didn't come with any mags or optics so I'll have to hunt around for those. Thanks!

CactusThomas
AG
Definitely looks like grease
malenurse
AG
Sorry dude, that gun is screwed up. I'll take it off your hands for two fiddy
Log
AG
Built here by DSA on an Imbel receiver that was imported by Century. Imbel's are very good quality.

Just field strip it and soak the metal parts in mineral spirits for a day or so. Then spray off with carburetor cleaner, oil, and reassemble.
C4D
AG
Clean the peanut butter out first thing.
marcel ledbetter
Looks like a Para model for airborne troops with that folding stock. Imbel made excellent receivers
davidhuge
Bought this from a gentleman from the opposite side of the US. Just picked it up Friday night and took it out shooting for the first time on Saturday morning.

This is an inch pattern L1A1 (FN FAL)

Most of the parts are from Australian surplus and had some sort of camo on it originally. The upper receiver is stamped Century Arms, so not perfect, but the seller had done research and said with the serial number it has it was supposed to have been manufactured by Caspian Arms. Honestly I don't care too much either way.

I put 120 rounds through it on Saturday, had an absolute blast. I'm so happy to finally have one of these.

The matching mag has some issues and failed was stuck halfway through, so I just used the other two mags I had gotten and they worked perfectly. 4 of the 6 mags I put through it were basically operated perfectly but I did have tons of failure to feeds during two mags. I'm not surprised, and it didn't bother me really. I'm planning to keep this and take care of it the rest of my life.

I may try and polish the feed ramp as most of the failures were the jacketed rounds getting stuck going up the ramp.
highvelocity
AG
Where'd you get your mags?
IDAGG
AG
squirrelhunter
Pretty sure that is an Inch kit on a metric Imbel receiver. It's got the inch gas block/front sight, inch flash hider and the selector switch is an inch style.

It's been a long while since I have messed with FAL's, they are a great gun. If I recall correctly the inch mags will work in a metric gun but Metric mags wont work in Metric guns. Mag catch is on the front of the upper receiver, you can find photos of the different types online.
FIDO 96
AG
Nice battle rifle. I have always wanted a HK91 and picked up, but never committed to buy a C308 or PTR91.

Anyone have either. I heard Century Arms has a spotty reputation, but others say the rifles are good to go.
IDAGG
AG
CactusThomas
AG
Oh man those old century CETME's were a **** show
A.G.S.
AG
That thing is begging to be form 1'ed down to 12.5"........
Strongweasel97
AG
Peanut Butter, for when you get hungry.

Seriously though, it's probably old Tetra gun grease.
highvelocity
AG
Pinned brake and canned up sounds like a fun little project
BenderRodriguez
AG
FIDO 96 said:

Nice battle rifle. I have always wanted a HK91 and picked up, but never committed to buy a C308 or PTR91.

I've had 3 PTRs, and several other roller locks by various companies.

PTRs are good to go. I still have two of them.

Get the newer models with the welded top rail and paddle mag release.

If you have any questions about them let me know. They're my favorite of the old school "battle rifles".
cledus6150
AG
Don't you have one of the PTR PDW's with the 12.5" barrel?
BenderRodriguez
AG
cledus6150 said:

Don't you have one of the PTR PDW's with the 12.5" barrel?

So their PDW version is MP5 sized. 8" barrel, IIRC.

Less of a gun than a combination gun/flashbang/flamethrower. I used to have one of those as well, but sold it.

I do still have the 12" version, which is the G3K length. Need to finally SBR it so I can throw my collapsing stock on there.

cledus6150
AG
How is the trigger and accuracy on the G3K, I was real interested in one for awhile then just kinda jumped on the 10.5" AK band wagon.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Accuracy is on par or slightly better than my 18" gun.

The G3/93/MP5 trigger is not a great trigger. They're heavy.

As a handgun analogy, G3's have Glock like triggers. They'll never be 1911 nice but they work just fine.

If you're looking for good triggers, better ergos etc just go with an AR-10 or SCAR.

But the G3 is a reliable, fun gun with cheap magazines, lots of accessories and is a damned tough gun. I really like them.
Buck Turgidson
davidhuge - do you have any idea how the weight, length and accuracy compare to an M1A? Seems like those would be directly comparable weapons in terms of use/function. I have an M1A but always thought it would be cool to have an FAL.
highvelocity
AG
looking at magazines this morning and i think this is a metric receiver, but i am not sure. can someone help me out? also which mags do yall recommend?
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
Justified
If you email DSA they can answer any questions. That's what I did. They told year it was made and what magazines.
highvelocity
AG
Cleaning materials will be here this weekend, but this is how she currently sits. Debating chopping and threading for a can, talking to my guy to see what the best route is. Not in love with a variable optic right now, debating a fixed acog or maybe a lpvo with a smaller surface area
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.