Outdoors
Sponsored by

Washington State shuts down recreational fishing

13,471 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PFG
rootube
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

rootube said:

I need to jump in while I can because I may never find another thread again where PFG and I are in 100% agreement. I would also add that the Steelhead in the PNW could probably use the break for a season. It will be an interesting science experiment to see how closure impacts the steelhead run next year. I know anglers in LA who swear that the closure of water after the Horizon oil spill had an amazingly positive impact on fisheries in LA.
Only if they can somehow manage to get the sea lions to stop fishing as well. Especially in the Columbia River basin.
I wouldn't say only if. Dams and warm water are probably far and away the two biggest factors in declining steelhead and salmon populations. Probably commercial fishing is third by overall volume. Having said that sure let's open sea lion hunting season. Unfortunately, that may be as effective as hog hunting on the sea lion population.
CW Griswold
Is PFG a troll or a moron? I don't follow the board closely enough to know.
Gunny456
AG
I was a biologist that worked for one. Like some others we moved on to other endeavors. Was WFS at TAMU and many years ago. Many older biologist will say the same. Some states are far worse than others. You can also look at many of the states wfs publications and compare 20 years ago to current. Articles are less and less on fishing and hunting for the most part.
I did not say it was the biologist or GW's......it is the new commissioners and department heads that has changed so much. Much more liberal and "tree hugger" types than 20 years ago in those positions.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
rootube said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

rootube said:

I need to jump in while I can because I may never find another thread again where PFG and I are in 100% agreement. I would also add that the Steelhead in the PNW could probably use the break for a season. It will be an interesting science experiment to see how closure impacts the steelhead run next year. I know anglers in LA who swear that the closure of water after the Horizon oil spill had an amazingly positive impact on fisheries in LA.
Only if they can somehow manage to get the sea lions to stop fishing as well. Especially in the Columbia River basin.
I wouldn't say only if. Dams and warm water are probably far and away the two biggest factors in declining steelhead and salmon populations. Probably commercial fishing is third by overall volume. Having said that sure let's open sea lion hunting season. Unfortunately, that may be as effective as hog hunting on the sea lion population.
Any link or source for that? I'm genuinely curious.

Regarding the open sea lion season compared to hogs... They've seen some pretty promising results from removal of the ones at the Bonneville Dam fish ladders.
txags92
AG
Gunny456 said:

Most of the Wildlife and Fisheries agencies in most states are no longer run by folks who hunt and fish, rather they are becoming more and more controlled by so called liberal "conservationist" who don't necessarily put sport hunting or fishing as top priority any longer in their programs and projects.
What you posted is absolutely the opposite of true in TPWD. All you have to do is look at the way CWD has been handled in Texas to know that deer breeders and the trophy hunters who keep them in business are firmly in control of the levers of power in TPWD. They had a plan for how to deal with CWD if it showed up in Texas, and they promptly threw it out the window when it showed up at a breeder site, because it would have meant slaughtering the herds at a bunch of other breeder and release sites where deer from that breeder had been sent. Since that time, every whitetailed deer in Texas that has tested positive has been either at a breeder site, at a breeder release site, or located adjacent to one of those two types of sites. The recent one in Val Verde county hasn't been conclusively tied to a breeder site yet, but I suspect that it will be eventually. And still we allow breeders to operate and transfer deer between sites. If the "conservationist" biologists had been in charge, captive deer breeding never would have been allowed in the first place, and it certainly wouldn't be allowed to continue with its current track record in the spread of CWD.
rootube
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

rootube said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

rootube said:

Any link or source for that? I'm genuinely curious.

Regarding the open sea lion season compared to hogs... They've seen some pretty promising results from removal of the ones at the Bonneville Dam fish ladders.
Absolutely zero data to support this. This is pure speculation on my part but I know the dams and water temp are big issues. I have read the problem related to sea lions is caused by fish backing up below dams which create a buffet for the sea lions so those two issues may be related. Some people say stocking fish is a contributor to the problems as well.

I should also point out that Sea Lions being the same as hogs is more of a joke on my part than anything. Species behavior and reproduction rates are likely very different.

Edit to add. I pulled up this link. It seems inconceivable that sea lions or recreational fishermen are pulling fish in the millions of pounds out of the PNW.

https://fishbio.com/field-notes/the-fish-report/comparing-pacific-coasts-commercial-fisheries

When it comes to the size of Pacific Coast state salmon fisheries, Alaska clearly leads the pack. In 2012, more than 611 million pounds of salmon were harvested in Alaska (NMFS 2014), which is nearly 25 times more than all other Pacific States combined (Washington: 19.8 million pounds, California: 2.9 million pounds, and Oregon: 1.9 million pounds). Not only is the quantity of salmon coming from Alaska and Washington substantial, the price is also relatively low compared to prices in California and Oregon (NMFS 2014).

Edit to add another link everyone should read about lonesome larry.
https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2012/08/06/lonesome-larry-an-unsung-hero/

Edit to add a picture of Larry who was mounted and is on display in Idaho. .He may hold the record for the longest and most treacherous journey to not get laid.

CanyonAg77
AG
Buffalo Lake NWR near Canyon has reopened to bikers and hikers....sort of.

Gate is still closed to cars, so they want you to park by the gate and walk in.

Yes, instead of allowing people to wander all over the 7000+ acres, they are concentrating them near the single gate.

Brilliant!
AgDad121619
AG
Unless all outside activity is shutdown - the fishing ban in Washington is wrong. It is no more dangerous than visiting or hiking in park. And I haven't heard of any shut downs of all activities so this is bad decision driven by something other than limiting interactions
agdoc2001
AG
CW Griswold said:

Is PFG a troll or a moron? I don't follow the board closely enough to know.

Yes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
76Ag
AG
I went fishing yesterday in my neighborhood lake. I was never within 100 feet of any one else. Everyone was keeping their distance.
AllTheFishes
AG
I suspect they are trying to eliminate the shoulder to shoulder combat fishing that happens around the salmon runs. I'm pretty sure those start here in the next month and could be a problem. It's not as bad as in Alaska but definitely can be seen. Commercial boats loaded shoulder to shoulder fishing for halibut are also a common occurrence.

We don't have anything like it down here in Texas, except maybe the commercial boats on the gulf.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
AllTheFishes said:

I suspect they are trying to eliminate the shoulder to shoulder combat fishing that happens around the salmon runs. I'm pretty sure those start here in the next month and could be a problem. It's not as bad as in Alaska but definitely can be seen. Commercial boats loaded shoulder to shoulder fishing for halibut are also a common occurrence.

We don't have anything like it down here in Texas, except maybe the commercial boats on the gulf.

Some of the popular white bass creeks, especially Rowlett, are like that.
PFG
AG
Quote:

I suspect they are trying to eliminate the shoulder to shoulder combat fishing

Quote:

We don't have anything like it down here in Texas,

Public piers (bob hall)
Jetties
White bass run
Park pond trout release
Any public boat ramp from March to September
River rube season

Lots of waters need to get shut down.
txags92
AG
PFG said:

Quote:

Quote:

Public piers (bob hall)
Jetties
White bass run
Park pond trout release
Any public boat ramp from March to September
River rube season

Not sure if that was intentional or a typo, but either way I think it fits...
AllTheFishes
AG
PFG said:

Quote:

Quote:

Public piers (bob hall) I'll give you this one, on a busy day it can get tight, but these are already covered so I don't see a need for another public order.
Jetties I have never seen a jettie that was shoulder to shoulder, usually one or two people in groups spread out.
White bass run can get tight but it's all but over for most of the state.
Park pond trout release ended In Feb.
Any public boat ramp from March to September Never once have I seen people shoulder to shoulder at a boat ramp.
River rube season There is a case for tubing but the public parks are already closed and the tube companies are shut down, also it's still pretty cold and tubing won't fire up till the end of may when it warms up, cross that bridge when we get there.

Cassius
PFG said:

Let me know when you have someone close to you that dies from this. Someone not old, not in poor health, not ignoring the symptoms. Hooked up to a vent. And die 10 days later.

Let me know when you have a spouse working in the Med field, risking own life to fight the spread.

Until then, roll your eyes and pretend it's just a bad cold and an overblown media story.

I'll be here to bump this when Texas catches up, smartens up, and closes down outdoor rec.

Got a few questions for ya...

Are you drinking tap water only?
Have you reduced your daily caloriic intake to the bare minimum?
Are you wiping your anus with your hand or a rag?
Are you walking to the store instead of driving?
Are you grabbing food to go from a restaurant?

Depending on your answer to any of those, you are just as guilty as those you condemn in this case.

Second, your wife is free to quit her job, is she not? Did she not realize that she might be exposed to contagious diseases before she decided to pursue a career in the med field?
PFG
AG
Quote:

Are you drinking tap water only?

Harvested rain water, actually. Thanks for playing.

Quote:

Are you wiping your anus with your hand or a rag?

Neither. Your wife is bringing fresh TP over. Appreciate ya.

Ok, now that we have all that out of the way, I'll be here to bump this when Texas catches up, smartens up, and closes down outdoor rec. Getting closer with Galveston beaches going down. I expect state parks to be on the horizon.

Hopefully lakes and rivers soon after. Maybe the bay systems too.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
PFG, I'm going to cut you some slack for being paranoid. I get that higher risk jobs drive family members nuts.

However, especially given the ambient temperatures in Texas, soon, I don't think many outdoor activities will be a transmission source.

All delivery groceries makes lots of sense, but, the cost/liability/lack of delivery vehicles, and labor shortage isn't going to make that feasible.

Hell, turning off the AC would probably help in grocery stores, but the coolers and freezers aren't rated for that.

Yes, there should be a real quarantine. That should have been right off - and the northeast probably needs to be isolated.

I honestly that that would be less disruptive, if we went to non-contact truck shipments/mail etc to all non-infected/minimally infected counties

So would using the tracking data FB/google/etc have to track down every infected person's possible contacts/tracking if they break quarantine.

Hell, getting the FDA's head out of its butt about serums would be useful

Influenza was always presumed to be the world killer - and this won't be, even if no actions were taken.

Russ11
AG
Aransas county shutting down boat ramps...
PFG
AG
Bravo. Re-elect those leaders.

Need to shut the guides down too. Non essential business.
Cassius
PFG said:

Has your wife quit her job yet?
schmellba99
AG
PFG said:

Let me know when you have someone close to you that dies from this. Someone not old, not in poor health, not ignoring the symptoms. Hooked up to a vent. And die 10 days later.

Let me know when you have a spouse working in the Med field, risking own life to fight the spread.

Until then, roll your eyes and pretend it's just a bad cold and an overblown media story.

I'll be here to bump this when Texas catches up, smartens up, and closes down outdoor rec.

Ahh yes, something happened that affects me personally, so therefore my experiwnce and wishes should be forced on the rest of the world.

How very Comrade of you.

Because fishing from a boat or bank with nobody around is obviously the way this overblown virus is spreading the most. Not in urban areas prerty much completely opposite of fishing.
schmellba99
AG
PFG said:

My God, i hope it droughts over your place for a decade and,cattle prices stay so low you just give up. Maybe a fire or two as well. After all, your place is not essential to any of us.
Cassius
schmellba99 said:

PFG said:

My God, i hope it droughts over your place for a decade and,cattle prices stay so low you just give up. Maybe a fire or two as well. After all, your place is not essential to any of us.

Ditto
PFG
AG
Quote:

I hope it droughts over your place for a decade

Have a ground well when the rain cistern runs dry. Called a back up plan.

Quote:

cattle prices stay so low you just give up.

Yeah that would suck for the old timer who leases my place. Hope he's got some money squirreled away.

Quote:

Maybe a fire or two as well

Insurance, brother. Rebuilding would suck, but then we could add that extra sq footage to the master bath.

Anything other harm you like to wish on my person, my property, or my family? K thanks.
aggielostinETX
AG
I think it's time you mosey on off the OB. For good. Sheep.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
PFG
AG
I'm good here. Thanks, olds.

When was your last meaningful post here? Just go back to the Pol board. You're better at being obtuse over there. Don't need ya doing that on 2 boards.
Goodest Poster
AG
PFG said:

I fit all your criteria above and I disagree with you. Going fishing isnt the reason this is spreading. Closing a park is one thing, closing waterways is a completely different discussion. At the end of this...it will be a bad cold- like flu. Death rate will be around 1% with anomalies. Now me personally...and it's because my spouse will be in the epicenter of Houston outbreak...i choose to stay home or go to my warehouse where no other people are. But if someone wants to go fishing and they're staying away from others...i dont have an issue with that.
Naveronski
AG
PFG said:

You're really not, though.
You're barely tolerated by staff. You're almost universally hated by people here. You contribute nothing, and only come around to troll.

Why bother?
PFG
AG
Quote:

. At the end of this...it will be a bad cold- like flu

You're wrong. I'll bump this in 6 months and we can compare US flu deaths vs US Covid deaths. At that point you can apologize for under-reacting and looking like a fool.

Until then, we can disagree amicably.
aggielostinETX
AG
PFG said:

Olds? WTF.

You will be treated from now on like the Nancy boy you have proven to be. Your opinion will be viewed with same level of disdain given a child when interrupting an adult dinner. And your constant whining will be mocked, just the same as your lack of situational control in your life.

You're a sad scared little man who does not deserve the freedom others died to grant you.

AggieKatie2 said:
PFG
AG
I post quite a bit of fantastic content. It just runs 90 degrees to OB group think. And the slows and obtuse and dense here can't handle that.
aggielostinETX
AG
PFG said:

When was your last meaningful post here? Just go back to the Pol board. You're better at being obtuse over there. Don't need ya doing that on 2 boards.

Don't worry, I post plenty on the OB. You'll just never see it.

AggieKatie2 said:
PFG
AG
Quote:

You will be treated from now on like the Nancy boy you have proven to be

Explain? So that staff and I know your plan. K thanks.
Goodest Poster
AG
PFG said:

Quote:

. At the end of this...it will be a bad cold- like flu

You're wrong. I'll bump this in 6 months and we can compare US flu deaths vs US Covid deaths. At that point you can apologize for under-reacting and looking like a fool.

Until then, we can disagree amicably.

Since you are so emphatically sure, will you just leave Texags forever if Im right

Dont you see...this is one of many parts of your schtick people hate. You act like you know everything...im willing to admit if im wrong. But i also have been analyzing thru med pubs and hospital exchanges several hours a day, over last week. Fun fact- last 3 days weve actually held % of vents. This is particularly good news. Germany death rate is at a .04...and thats with limited testing. So, YES...i have hunches, hopes dreams, as well as limited empirical data that tells me it may end up having a 1% death rate in America.

Ive done way more to stop this disease thatn you have...that I GUARANTEE. Being a keyboard asshat and pretend know it all isnt helping. We get it...more people should stay inside. We all agree on that. But the way you shoot down any opinion contrary to yours makes you seem not only intolerable....but severlyover-compensating.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.