Outdoors
Sponsored by

Delayed approval from background check, system overwhelmed

7,267 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Hoyt Ag
Aggie304
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I chose to purchase through my local gun store yesterday morning and was happy to support the local shop vs buying from an individual. He told me usually within an hour but no more than 3 days.

Now I'm reading about the system for approval being jammed up and being overwhelmed like never before.
Being approved 6 weeks from now does me no good if the firearm I purchased sits at the gun stores safe when I wanted it for home security now.

Anyone have any idea on how the background check issue might get solved? I'm thinking if it's not approved by Wednesday I might ask for a full refund and go back to shopping with individuals.

And no, I have nothing on my record not even a parking ticket

tamc93
AG
Wow. I assume no CHL?

Too late now for your CHL, but worth looking at in the future.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
harge57
AG
I thought there was a maximum wait time and then it was auto approved.
hillcountryag86
AG
If only a delay, retailer has option to transfer after 3 days
Aggie304
hillcountryag86 said:

If only a delay, retailer has option to transfer after 3 days

I hope so, I've lived in Brenham my whole life and know many LEO so I'm a very safe risk
BCStalk
I used to have the same issue since I have no middle name. I would recommend a LTC.
Aggie304
Well I plan n taking getting one after taking a course, but need the gun though
BCStalk
As stated above, Wait the 3 days at the worst. Background checks have surged recently. Hopefully you hear back sooner, I imagine it's just from a congested system.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Hopefully this doesn't effect NFA wait times... I'm at 11 months on my .338 suppressor.
txyaloo
AG
Academy and some other FFLs will not proceed without a NICS approval even though legally they can after 3 business days. If you don't have an LTC, I'd ask the FFL what their policy is before a purchase knowing there may be delays
malenurse
AG
I've seen some of Academy's clientele. I wouldn't sell without approval either.
hillcountryag86
AG
I understand why they do it with liability and not knowing their customers.

I certainly don't advertise it but, if I know the person I'll transfer it.
agrams
AG
me too. I have a few I put in ATF Jail May of last year.... I should be right on the edge of getting them...
Yesterday
AG
HillCountry is correct. All of our delays are getting the April 15th date. We received a letter from the ATF that they recommend abiding by their wait time date but the Brady law only requires 3 business days.

I told my customers to get back to us after three days and I'll make the call. I'm hoping they get it figured out by then.
Madman
AG
I was in both Collectors Firearms and an Academy here in Houston in the last week and both times I overheard conversations that would lead me to believe felons were attempting to buy pistols. In both cases, if I was in charge of deciding who gets to own a pistol or not, I would have said no.

The Academy I was at might have had 3 pistols left in the glass cases and the rifle/shotgun racks were about 40% full if that.

People are excited to say the least.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Yeah, the NICS system is saying to wait until the 15th. While I sympathize with being backlogged, that is not my problem and I am going case by case.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
BCStalk
So they expect you to tell all of your customers that they are SOL until April 15th?
Aggie304
I'm hoping he lets me pick it up after 3 days. I'll be disappointed and probably ask for a refund of my $750 if he doesn't. I think that's fair.
hillcountryag86
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Yeah, the NICS system is saying to wait until the 15th. While I sympathize with being backlogged, that is not my problem and I am going case by case.
BCStalk
So the only question now is, what gun are you waiting on?
Aggie304
BCStalk said:

So the only question now is, what gun are you waiting on?

You're gonna laugh because I can't tell you with 100% confidence...

So I was inquiring about some used guns on here on Friday night and Saturday morning and then had to go to downtown to pick something up Saturday morning and noticed a small gun shop had opened up. I went in and the guy, Steve, was super patient and helpful explaining the different options he had in stock. I looked at and almost purchased the sig 365 that has the vents and the green floating dot sight. But then I noticed a 45 that I'd swear was a Remington, but now I'm not so sure. It has a built in laser, single stack clip, 2 safeties one in the back of the grip and one in the trigger. When I showed interest he showed me that it was also the weapon of choice he carries and had the same gun on his hip.

So laugh at me but I'm not sure of the make and model of the gun I bought other than I like it and I trust the advice of the gun store owner. Seemed like a real stand up guy.

BCStalk
Springfield XD maybe? No receipt of purchase?

Although I could see this as an entertaining game of guessing for us with nothing to do.
Aggie304
It did look a lot like this so you may be right but it has a built in laser

Aggie304
I've got my credit card receipt but it doesn't have what I bought on it.
SharkinAg
AG
Had an impulse buy at the feed store/gun store in gonzales on Saturday. I don't live in the area but our farm is nearby and a friend asked me to check out their ammo supply. Ultimately they didn't have what he was looking for. I bought some ammo and I eyed the red (close enough to be maroon) ruger mark iv lite. After I got my ammo and saw it I said I'd need one of those too. He laughed saying I was the only one buying a 22 pistol today. Because I had a chl I walked out no problem. However there were a lot of people without chls that they were telling it would be a few days at least. Most of whom had never bought a gun before. Shelves picked clean of pistol and ar ammo.
BCStalk
I'm in the same boat right now as many. I'm waiting on a new license that was mailed last week luckily. Taught me a lesson about renewing on time.
SharkinAg
AG
Didn't think about that. I'll have to check when it expires. Not likely to get any quicker when it comes to buying guns this year. Hopefully yours and everyone else's here is straightened out soon.
hillcountryag86
AG
SharkinAg said:

Had an impulse buy at the feed store/gun store in gonzales on Saturday. I don't live in the area but our farm is nearby and a friend asked me to check out their ammo supply. Ultimately they didn't have what he was looking for. I bought some ammo and I eyed the red (close enough to be maroon) ruger mark iv lite. After I got my ammo and saw it I said I'd need one of those too. He laughed saying I was the only one buying a 22 pistol today. Because I had a chl I walked out no problem. However there were a lot of people without chls that they were telling it would be a few days at least. Most of whom had never bought a gun before. Shelves picked clean of pistol and ar ammo.

I'm guessing that store is not on E Check. Did four e checks within an hour yesterday and each took less than 30 seconds.

Can still be delayed on e check (none were), but it is much faster than phone, where wait time was an hour yesterday morning.
txyaloo
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

I understand why they do it with liability and not knowing their customers.

I certainly don't advertise it but, if I know the person I'll transfer it.
I did the same when I had an FFL. Case by case basis.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

SharkinAg said:

I'm guessing that store is not on E Check. Did four e checks within an hour yesterday and each took less than 30 seconds.

Can still be delayed on e check (none were), but it is much faster than phone, where wait time was an hour yesterday morning.
Also has to do with echeck getting swarmed. It was not cooperating several times over the last two days. Rather frustrating.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
maddiedou
AG
What kind of gun you looking for

I have some and ammo. Send me a pm if you would like only if yours does not go thru
maddiedou
PneumAg
Gotta love having a LTC.
SharkinAg
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

SharkinAg said:

Couldn't tell you.
Aggie304
maddiedou said:

What kind of gun you looking for

I have some and ammo. Send me a pm if you would like only if yours does not go thru

Something for home/vehicle security that I can eventually use for concealed carry.
Aggie304
Got cleared and got it. Will post picks tomorrow
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.