Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** official turkey season thread. ***

12,070 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BradMtn346
BullSprig07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yakin ag said:

My boy's first kill, took him at 15 yards with a 17HMR. I took my first turkey shortly after he got his. I think he'll be ready for a doe this fall!
Awesome! My boy is 5, can't wait!
Apache
AG
I was rained out on Saturday & struck out on Sunday. Didn't hear a peep out of a bird.
Hopefully next weekend is a little better.
stdeb11
AG
Season starts here this Saturday. Trying to figure out logistics for Saturday since all the campgrounds are closed. Did get my shotgun setup dialed in yesterday morning

AgDad121619
AG
Headed to Junction with my son on Thursday - been getting some intel on the ranch I'm hunting with several game camera pics of birds strutting - can't wait!
yakin ag
AG

Took my 9 year old daughter yesterday, she got her first turkey! It's been a rough week on turkeys around here.
OnlyForNow
AG
Just be loaded up with em!
cupofjoe04
AG
yakin ag said:

My boy's first kill, took him at 15 yards with a 17HMR. I took my first turkey shortly after he got his. I think he'll be ready for a doe this fall!

Way to go brother!!! Congrats
cupofjoe04
AG
yakin ag said:

Took my 9 year old daughter yesterday, she got her first turkey! It's been a rough week on turkeys around here.

Awesome!!! What great memories. Well done Dad!
Post removed:
by user
raidernarizona
Can't recall where I read this, but Tom Green County is one of the top 5 turkey harvest counties in the state. Edwards was another, but I can't recall the others. Good luck!
OnlyForNow
AG
State Parks are also being closed. Figure WMAs are close behind
Apache
AG
Quote:

Took my 9 year old daughter yesterday, she got her first turkey! I

That's awesome!! What did she shoot it with?
yakin ag
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

Took my 9 year old daughter yesterday, she got her first turkey! I

That's awesome!! What did she shoot it with?
Both her and my 6 year old son (almost 7) used my CZ 17HMR. This is the first time I've turkey hunted, so I wasn't sure if rimfire was normally used, but it appears to work! I took one with the 17 as well.
AgDad121619
AG
Covered up with Jakes here in Junction - mist have been a great hatch last year. I have called up 3 different groups of Jakes in different spots on the ranch. One group I can't seem to escape.

My son and I each took one yesterday to get it rolling - now we are waiting on a long beard. This is the greenest I have seen Junction in the 15 years we AJ e been coming out here .
AggieChemist
AG
She mad

Season opens in 9 days
CanyonAg77
AG
A few photos from my son-in-law. His ammo company gets some great photos.

AggieChemist
AG
AgDad121619
AG
That's a sweet Eastern - got a rope and good spurs!
bmfvet
AG
Practiced social distancing with the turkeys really well this weekend. A 20 lb pig didn't follow the rules though.
cupofjoe04
AG
This thread has fallen WAY too far. So, here's an update.

Been hunting as hard as I can, with working so many extra hours the last 6 weeks it has been tough.

I've been on a few birds here and there, nothing real special. And I'm hunting for special moments, not beard size. I had a blast calling in a nice Tom for a buddy last week. Worked this bird for a long time- till he hung up across a small ravine (barely a ditch). So, we grabbed essentials, hiked about 3/4 of a mile in a WIDE circle, and set up what we thought was in front on him. We heard him gobble just off the edge of the clearing to our left about 100 yards or so, so I wheeled around behind my buddy and started sweet talking it. He gobbled once, then shut up. I quit calling, just started scratching the ground when a stick and giving the lightest clucks I could. My friend was zeroed in on where we thought the bird would emerge in full strut. Instead, that rascal was slinking through the thick brush dead quiet. I caught a glimpse, but couldn't get my friends attention. I threw a pebble and hit I'm in the ear (accident)- and pointed out the bird. He slowly turned and got ready. I was directly behind and a little above him, and could see right when it was lined up. When the Tom hit an open patch, I gave a soft put to raise his head. BOOM- clean miss @ about 12 yards... Fun times though.

Tonight, I took my 2 oldest kids with me. We had a BLAST. Saw some elk on the way in, and took time to let everyone find them in the binoculars. I thought I heard a gobble where we were heading, so we slowed down and eased up- as quietly as 2 kids in boots can. When we got there, I caught a glimpse of a turkey tail easing into the brush about 80 yards to my right. We had JUST missed them. No putting or running, I didn't think they knew we were there. But they were in THICK stuff, no way to get there with the kids. I set the kids up under a nice tree, threw the bag of snacks at them, and set off the get ahead of the birds. I wouldn't be more than 100 yards away, but would be out of sight. We talked about this possibility, and my son has been with me before doing this exact thing. So I didn't worry too much.

I got ahead of them, and began easing back through the woods towards the birds. A hen and I spot each other at the same moment, but the sun is at my back. She is heading to my right, away from where we had first seen them. I freeze, and after a minute or two standoff, she relaxes. I'm hoping she has the gobbler in town, and will drag him over the same spot. But instead of going right, she turns and jumps down left, below where I can see. I wait about 20-30 seconds, ready to shoot where she was standing. Then I over think it... they weee moving left to right, so the gobbler has to be to the left I think. She turned and went down back from where she came, so that gobbler has to be down there... I ease forward about 3 steps, and not 10 seconds after I had lowered my gun a red headed gobbler hops up on the exact stump... but now I have brush between us. Somehow, he had been to the right!

No matter, they are about 10-12 yards away, just over a small ledge. I'll sneak over the top and bust him. I ease up, and see the hen unawares of me. I spot the gobbler, behind a tiny pine tree. I'm slowing raising my gun, intending to let it fly as soon as Im on him. Then I hear a strange noise, so do the turkey, and they waste no time hauling butt down the hill. I literally almost had my bead on that sucker. I hear the noise again- it is my Daughter calling me VERY loudly.

I couldn't have been gone more than 8-10 minutes- but that must have been an eternity for them. Oh well, I work back up to them and we all reunite. Spend the remaining daylight calling to distant hens across the creek, watching elk, eating sandwiches, and shooting slingshots at every pine tree that looked crossways at us. What a great evening for this mountian turkey crew!

PA24
AG
More pics please
BradMtn346
Turkey season recap. It has been a great year.

Opening weekend we were hooked up with the kids from Outback Outdoors. They had a hunt lined up in Nebraska that got cancelled. They opened the season with a bang, actually several bangs and one thwack!

Sara, a first time lady hunter got it done with a bit of fancy footwork.

An old friend from my DU days drove down from Steamboat to take a jake in the first 30 minutes of his hunt.

Brylan and his dad glassed the birds and got ahead of them for a good tom.

Kristyn took a tom with her shotgun after her sister missed one with her traditional recurve.

Hunter, my son, killed a jake this morning. We stayed out and I was able to talk this Tom into coming to say hi for a father son double.

cupofjoe04
AG
Awesome year! Way to go brother!

I really liked the father/son double. That's an epic memory right there!
lazuras_dc
AG
First turkey hunt ever today. Been wanting to go for a while just never had the opportunity/schedule line up.

Buddy and I sat in a pop up with a few hen decoys yesterday. I spotted a few jakes far off in the distance Right before last shooting light - maybe 150-200 yards but never could lure them in.

We tried a different spot this morning sitting at the base of tree on a small berm on the side of a dried pond. it was really slow for a while never hearing a thing. Finally we heard a gobble followed by some clucking. A few minutes later a gobble again. Then we spotted a handful of hens and a Tom struttin'. They were coming in from our left following the road. They get to about 50 yards of us and start veering toward their right, behind us and ended up on the other side of the berm. Weighed the idea of keeping out or going after them. I think Conventional wisdom would say stay put but I decided With the cover of trees and the berm I could sneak into the dried pond and pop up the other side without getting busted. I crawled on my hands and knees to keep from getting seen. Pop my head up the first time and see a few hens but no males. My buddy is signaling to me that he sees a jake on his side of the tree but I go a little further because I'm sure the Tom is on my side. I pop my head up again and there he is... jack hammering away on a hen. I pull my shotgun up and wait for a minute thinking he'll finish. When he lifts his head up safe enough away from the hen I send one. He goes down and flops around for a sec and expires. Such a fun experience ! I'm hooked.

AgDad121619
AG
Lots of good success stories - I want to chase a Merriam Now in Co after the great stories and pics. And y'all enjoy those hunts with your young kids -my best times in woods was introducing My kids to that fun.

And Lazuras_DC proudto see a another new turkey hunter on board - ain't nothing like that 1st bird to get you addicted to the spring game.

Squeezed a weekend in an Arkansas up around the Buffalo river. Birds had lock jaw but the area was incredible. My youngest son spent the whole week hunting hard and saw and heard a few but they shut up just as soon as they hit the ground. Going to start planning now for a different spot next year.

lazuras_dc
AG
AgDad121619 said:

Lots of good success stories - I want to chase a Merriam Now in Co after the great stories and pics. And y'all enjoy those hunts with your young kids -my best times in woods was introducing My kids to that fun.

And Lazuras_DC proudto see a another new turkey hunter on board - ain't nothing like that 1st bird to get you addicted to the spring game.

Squeezed a weekend in an Arkansas up around the Buffalo river. Birds had lock jaw but the area was incredible. My youngest son spent the whole week hunting hard and saw and heard a few but they shut up just as soon as they hit the ground. Going to start planning now for a different spot next year.

I told my wife it might be my new favorite kind of hunting. Did a ton of research on turkeys after today and feel like I know so much more and ready for next year to roll around !!
raidernarizona
Congrats On your first one lazuras! It's addicting! Like AgDad said, glad to have another turkey hunter on the board!
BradMtn346
AgDad121619 said:

I killed my first Colorado turkey when I was about 16 on the Spanish Peaks SWA. Lots of birds down that way, but they get hunted a lot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.