Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** official turkey season thread. ***

12,068 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BradMtn346
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OnlyForNow said:

*duplicate post - please delete
BradMtn346
Silky Johnston said:

Interested in taking up turkey hunting for the first time. Have a place in Seguin that I know has birds, but they seem incredibly dumb and don't seem to have a fear of humans. Have rolled up on some plenty of times on a 4-wheeler and sat there and looked at each other for a few minutes before moving on.

Is this normal behavior, or have these been desensitized to humans and wouldn't be much sport to hunt? I assume the challenge increases by trying to call one into range for a shot.

Our turkeys get very desensitized to people. I don't let people just shoot them. You have to get them to come to you. That can be very challenging and a lot of fun. If they will come to a call, it is awesome. Over time, the birds will get tougher to call. The toms are still dumb, but the hens are my worst enemy. They will pull a Tom away from you.
AgDad121619
AG
Silky Johnston said:

Interested in taking up turkey hunting for the first time. Have a place in Seguin that I know has birds, but they seem incredibly dumb and don't seem to have a fear of humans. Have rolled up on some plenty of times on a 4-wheeler and sat there and looked at each other for a few minutes before moving on.

Is this normal behavior, or have these been desensitized to humans and wouldn't be much sport to hunt? I assume the challenge increases by trying to call one into range for a shot.

Turkeys definitely get desensitized to vehicles - they would likely cut out if you stood up and got off of ATV. And the fun in hunting them isn't in pulling the trigger - you could sit in a deer stand and snipe them and many folks do on the fall. I'll second Brads comments - The challenge is in calling them to within 10-30 yards and not having them bust you. I can tell you more vivid stories on the birds I blew it on than the birds I killed. But I will add this advise, don't try unless you are ready to get hooked and give up spring fishing - it is addicting when you are talking to them and they are talking back!
AgDad121619
AG
Anybody have any reports / photos from youth weekend?
raidernarizona
Took my boy to Edwards County Sunday. Birds were fired up at first light and I've never heard so many birds, granted this is only my fourth turkey season. But as expected, birds aren't broken up yet and we couldn't coax any into range. Let us know how things look near Cuero this weekend. I'm headed there on the 26th. Good luck!
AgDad121619
AG
Unfortunately my Cuero trip fell through for this weekend. Hoping to get it rescheduled for next weekend (28th) but dependent my contact for the hunt getting his schedule rearranged. Worst case, I will be hunting north La 4/4 for the la opener
Apache
AG
I'll be out chasing gobblers in Gonzales county Saturday/Sunday morning (weather permitting).
BradMtn346

Just a few pics to get you ready.
SharkinAg
AG
Apache said:

I'll be out chasing gobblers in Gonzales county Saturday/Sunday morning (weather permitting).

Same here. Looks like crappy turkey weather right now but I'm still going.
AgDad121619
AG
BradMtn346 said:

Just a few pics to get you ready.

Are those public land birds? And how hard is to draw a nonresident tag?
cupofjoe04
AG
Don't be fooled- those are high fenced pen raised birds. Otherwise, there are no turkey in CO.

In all seriousness are OTC tag units with good birds in CO. There are a few premium draw units as well, but you can hunt OTC here and do just fine.
BradMtn346
Not where the picture was taken, but a lot of these birds will move on to public later in the spring.
Apache
AG
I'm gonna postpone my first hunt a week because of this rain.
The later weeks of the season are better anyway...
AgDad121619
AG
In the state of Louisiana and there is high probability I won't be able to travel to Junction for my scheduled hunt. State has stay at home order that is affecting work place even though we are considered an essential business. I forsee a lot of work hours in my near future
raidernarizona
Ugh, sorry to hear that! I pray that doesn't happen here. I've been counting down the days to my first hunt in Cuero this Friday for a month.

Blue Duck
AG

It won't be long now!
bushman
AG
Well, this dang Corona virus may end my hunt in Ozona. Sucks, but that's the breaks I guess. Still will be chasing Easterns at the lease in Red River Co. Ran up this past weekend and trapped 9 hogs, just have a few hundred more to kill. We've got some big toms, hope to get one for my son, and hopefully one for myself.
WC87
AG
China might have cockblocked my Nebraska trip
AggieJames09
AG
Tag 1 punched. Midday hunt, came in hot to the decoys

https://instagr.am/p/B-KejL8Jd0B
cupofjoe04
AG
Way to go, congrats!!!
OnlyForNow
AG
Anyone heading out this weekend?

Plan on taking my 5 year old with me.
mpl35
AG
This thread is bumming me out. Our lease got sold this year. Spring turkey hunting on the place every year for 27 straight years with my father.
raidernarizona
Headed to DeWitt County Thursday late afternoon. Friday started off very slow, then the heat and high winds came making it even tougher but managed to get two to shock gobble at 3pm. After closing the gap 100 yards and calling for a half hour, two jakes came storming in and I decided to take one at 14 yards in case the rest of the weekend proved to be just as slow.

Got my first bird cleaned and was back in the woods by 5pm and put the full strut jake out hoping to challenge an older bird. Called to this 2 year old for about 45 mins and then he hit then sendero 150 yards out at full strut and didn't waste any time closing the gap. Was my first two bird day and a ton of fun!

Slept in Saturday and then was gonna just call for my buddy so he could try for his first with the bow. Half hour into our first set and these three youngin's came easing in. Watching these young guys at 10 yards for the next ten minutes was the highlight of my trip. Such beautiful creatures, pictures don't do them justice.

ETA: sorry the pics suck so bad. They are screenshots from video.
OnlyForNow
AG
Awesome!
AgDad121619
AG
That's a great start to the season - ready to get started this weekend!
Blue Duck
AG
Nice!!!
S.A. Aggie
AG
Thanks for sharing the pictures!
AgDad121619
AG
raidernarizona said:

Headed to DeWitt County Thursday late afternoon. Friday started off very slow, then the heat and high winds came making it even tougher but managed to get two to shock gobble at 3pm. After closing the gap 100 yards and calling for a half hour, two jakes came storming in and I decided to take one at 14 yards in case the rest of the weekend proved to be just as slow.

Got my first bird cleaned and was back in the woods by 5pm and put the full strut jake out hoping to challenge an older bird. Called to this 2 year old for about 45 mins and then he hit then sendero 150 yards out at full strut and didn't waste any time closing the gap. Was my first two bird day and a ton of fun!

Slept in Saturday and then was gonna just call for my buddy so he could try for his first with the bow. Half hour into our first set and these three youngin's came easing in. Watching these young guys at 10 yards for the next ten minutes was the highlight of my trip. Such beautiful creatures, pictures don't do them justice.

ETA: sorry the pics suck so bad. They are screenshots from video.

Beautiful hunting spot you have there
OnlyForNow
AG
Rained out in Bosque county.
raidernarizona
Darn! I've been watching this thread anxious to see y'all's reports. Weather was nasty this weekend.
BullSprig07
AG
Just got back late last night from quarantining with Turkeys in Sonora. Man there is a lot of birds out there! Saturday they were talking, could hardly make a sound without lighting one up.

Got this guy down around 11am, he was with about 7-8 other jakes/young toms, came within 5 feet of my buddy and he couldn't move. This double bearded fella moved far enough out of the way to give me a shot though.

Yesterday everything changed and couldn't get the birds to cooperate at all. Still better than being cooped up with kids all weekend.
OnlyForNow
AG
nice
yakin ag
AG

My boy's first kill, took him at 15 yards with a 17HMR. I took my first turkey shortly after he got his. I think he'll be ready for a doe this fall!
OnlyForNow
AG
How old is he?
yakin ag
AG
He's 6, about to turn 7. I'm taking my 9 year old daughter tonight.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.