Outdoors
Sponsored by

1966 Avion Trailer "Barn Find" Build Thread

29,093 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Ogre09
coolerguy12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What do you mean about backing plate? I'm planning to attach straight to the frame with self tapping screws.

Edit - I think you mean anything (cabinets, beds, etc) attached to the floor will need a backing plate on the bottom of the Coosa, I had not planned to do that. Planning to just pocket hole some screws in each cabinet to the floor. Now I'm worried
Aggietaco
AG
Right. What I read was that it wasn't sufficient for attaching to, like drywall. If you do attach you either need to over drill and epoxy and then attach to the epoxy or use something like an aluminum angle on the underside of the coosa.
coolerguy12
AG
I'll have to dig into that. Won't have any access on the underside so that may be a problem.
TRADUCTOR
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Extreme-Sealing-Tape-4411N/?N=5002385+3293242538&rt=rud

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/vhb-tapes-us/applications/metal-fabrication/

Amazing tech
smstork1007
AG
jig saw will work just fine for the cutting, used this many times for some work on boats. You will go thru a lot of blades, but they are cheap and a sharp one will cut it like butter.
smstork1007
AG
also, there are some really awesome marine composites which would be a straight replacement vs plywood which i might recommend more, but you're are on the right track with composites vs wood for longevity.
pdc093
txrancher69
AG
Thoughts from an Old Ag. Use a project like this as an excuse to yourself (or wife) to buy more tools, the best you can find. A man can never have enough good tools. I'm not talking Harbor Freight here, pay up for quality and you will enjoy them all your life. They also make working on things a pleasure.
marcel ledbetter
From experience, ditch the cheap jigsaw immediately and get a good one. Save it for a back up. I went from a Skil to a Porter Cable and thought I was doing fine. Then, I picked up a good Bosch. The difference in performance was night and day. Making accurate radius cuts (or any cut) with a cheap jigsaw is a bad dream.
coolerguy12
AG
Been a while since my last update. Been busy working on other projects around the house but finally able to get some stuff done.

Took advantage of the cool weather this morning to replace the shoe string safety chains.

Got 2 out of 5 sheets of Coosa installed. Still need to tie the Coosa to the frame and the wall to the Coosa but I can work on that while the kids are sleeping.

Speaking of kids... this guy wants to help so bad. Hoping it's done before he is in high school.

This one loves doing horns down. Not sure where she might have learned that...

Also got the slide out step to work which is handy when you're in and out of the trailer 50 times in a day.
Post removed:
by user
O.G.
Really cool find. Well done.
expresswrittenconsent
Adorable
coolerguy12
AG
I'm embarrassed it's been 10 weeks since my last update. I have 4 out of 5 sheets of the floor installed. Planning to demo the bathroom this weekend and hopefully get the last piece of floor installed by the end of next week. Then I'll focus on water proofing the exterior and then the build can really start. I can't wait to start putting stuff back in.
Mookie
AG
Pics?
lb3
AG
coolerguy12
AG

coolerguy12
AG
Bathroom walls, cabinets, and sink removed.

Shower is being very stubborn. It's free except for the drain which is not wanting to come loose. Do I have any options to get a shower tub made in this shape? I would love a new one but I'm worried I won't be able to find something. Would hate to rip it out and then be up a creek.

Grey and black tanks are fiberglass. Seem to be in good shape. Planning to leave them unless I'm convinced otherwise or find issues with them.
Todd 02
AG
Todd 02 said:

I have a '69 Avion Imperial. It's been out at the farm and needs a complete gut and redo. Just don't have the time.

I gave $2,500 for it seven years ago. It's got some hail damage. Anybody need a project?

Hauled it home from the farm today. She's in super rough shape! But we made it home on one fresh spare and the other three tires held. All thanks to the six Ps.

Turns out the wife is interested in a restore. We'll see how long that lasts.
coolerguy12
AG
That's awesome. Where do you live? Would love to come see it if you're near north Houston. It's funny how similar your interior looks to mine. Wish I had the double axel.
Bird Poo
AG
coolerguy12 said:

Bathroom walls, cabinets, and sink removed.

Shower is being very stubborn. It's free except for the drain which is not wanting to come loose. Do I have any options to get a shower tub made in this shape? I would love a new one but I'm worried I won't be able to find something. Would hate to rip it out and then be up a creek.

Grey and black tanks are fiberglass. Seem to be in good shape. Planning to leave them unless I'm convinced otherwise or find issues with them.

You could use this stuff. Make sure you have a lot of ventilation because it is POTENT.

Rust-Oleum 7860519 Tub and Tile Refinishing 2-Part Kit, White, 32 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PTSBKW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UPJcFbT4G0XBY
Todd 02
AG
We are but a short 500 miles apart. I live just south of Lubbock.
marcel ledbetter
A good fabrication shop can make one out of stainless steel or aluminum. It possibly wouldn't have the rolled over area where the pipe is. You'd have to figure that part out. It will also be expensive.
coolerguy12
AG
Well dadgum it. Keep the pictures coming. Maybe in 10 years when our campers are done we can meet up at Garner.
coolerguy12
AG
Hadn't thought of stainless. I like that idea.
AW 1880
AG
Might want to post on home improvement board about the shower.
marcel ledbetter
Double your budget for stainless at a minimum,compared to aluminium. It's worth it or you can afford it, compared to aluminum.
coolerguy12
AG
What should my budget be for stainless?
coolerguy12
AG
What about composting toilets? I would like to change the location of the toilet but I'm SOL if I need the black water tank due to its location in the frame. I would love to have two gray water tanks for more capacity so that's a win there too.

We would mostly camp for a week at a time, not like I would be having to empty this thing a ton.
512Ag
AG
Awesome looking rig! Keep up the hard work. I have a 28ft '72 LaGrande and have done a few projects on her (though nothing as involved as a complete redo).

I have found the people at https://aviontrailers.net to be very knowledgable and helpful. There are also a couple of Avion-specific facebook groups that are active and extremely helpful...but if you go that route, be sure to turn notifications off, because some people really, REALLY like to post.

pdc093
Can't wait to see progress pics once it starts coming back together
marcel ledbetter
I recently had a simple rectangular aluminum shower pan made. It is only about four and half inches deep. It was very well made with a slight crease in the floor to channel water to the drain. The drain hole was pressed with a special tool to allow the drain fittings to sit flush with the floor of the pan. I got a really good deal on it as I knew the guy that made it. It ran about $250. Stainless would have been over a thousand bucks. Reproducing the one in your photos would be astronomically expensive.

You might be able to have one made in the same shape but have the walls much shorter to keep the cost reasonable. You'll still need to decide on material for the shower walls, also. Trailers are expensive to work on.
coolerguy12
AG
Managed to get the tub out in one piece. I had to take a recip saw to the metal ring on the drain. I'll be looking for ways to refurbish it but I think it's going back in. Too custom of a piece to replicate.

I'm really surprised at how small the grey water tank is compared to the black tank. I'm assuming the idea is to drain the grey into the black when it fills up. Planning to remove the tanks to do some repairs on the frame. Then install these tanks or new ones, plumb them up, and then put the floor on.

Todd 02
AG
So, are you going back with the same floor plan?

We currently have a 3 year old travel trailer that we like, but we'll soon outgrow with our latest family addition turning 1 in August.

The wife is inspired by a lot of the vintage camper renovations to do a complete makeover. We're in the design phase right now trying to figure out how to sleep three kids, two adults, and a dog comfortably while still having room to get around and store all our crap.

I got in and cleaned out most of the debris last night and discovered a lot of the interior skin has cracks. (Too many days in the dry, west Texas climate.) Plus most of the cabinetry has got to go. That effectively means we could end up with a huge project on our hands.

At least it would be easier to get the hail damage out if I have to pull the inside skin off.
coolerguy12
AG
It will be very similar to the original floor plan. Twin beds in the back with the master up front. I'm planning to put a dinette up front instead of couch/bed combo. Not excited about the master bed being 4 cushions put together but I think we can make it work. Sink, stove, fridge, heater will all be in the same place more or less. Not putting an oven back in and the heater will be way smaller this time. One thing that really impressed me was how much storage the trailer has. Really want to keep that functionality.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.