Outdoors
Sponsored by

1966 Avion Trailer "Barn Find" Build Thread

29,112 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Ogre09
longeryak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd guess the linoleum under the beds was original.

You might put some hydrophobic melamine foam down before replacing the flooring to insulate and dampen sound. This guy was no BS, he retired and no longer sells products but left his DIY info up.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/hydrophobic-melamine-foam-hmf
marcel ledbetter
Chetos, what year is your Airstream? Thoughts and prayers for your bank account for that renovation! The number of tools one needs to complete a renovation like that is shocking!
dubi
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

Chetos, what year is your Airstream? Thoughts and prayers for your bank account for that renovation! The number of tools one needs to complete a renovation like that is shocking!

Right in the thread title!

AgEng06
AG
dubi said:

marcel ledbetter said:

Chetos isn't the OP.
dubi
AG
OOOPS! Sorry!

Damn thread derails.
coolerguy12
AG
2nd weekend of demo started about as well as expected. And by that I mean nothing went according to plan. I wanted to take the cabinets out in one piece to send to a cabinet shop to rebuild the same way but they are pretty rotten/flimsy. Kept them together as best I could but the next time they leave my garage they will be going in the trash. Main thing I needed intact was the cabinet sides so I can trace the curve and I got those.

Stove/oven removed.

Fridge and doors removed.

Sink and overheads out. I did manage to get the overhead cabinets out in one piece so I can take those to a cabinet shop for an exact rebuild.

So there was a lot of conflicting information online but it turns out my shell was built on top of the floor so I have to support the shell while I remove the floor. Planning to go back with treated 2x4s around the edge to support the shell and then 2 sheets of marine grade 3/4 plywood for the rest of the floor. Then whatever top floor my wife decides, hopefully engineered hardwood. The thing that stinks is I wanted to remove the entire floor, then POR15 the whole frame, then put the floor back. Now I'll be doing it in sections which will add time. Oh well.

Picture showing the shell with temporary support to the frame. The holes in the outer shell are by the battery box, not noticeable from outside.

marcel ledbetter
Don't use treated lumber in your trailer. The chemicals used to treat the wood are corrosive to aluminum. I hope you're wearing a good respirator. Keep the posts coming!
coolerguy12
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

Don't use treated lumber in your trailer. The chemicals used to treat the wood are corrosive to aluminum. I hope you're wearing a good respirator. Keep the posts coming!

Thanks for the heads' up. What do you recommend? Hope to pass this trailer to my grandkids so don't want to cut corners on anything.
Chetos
AG
coolerguy12 said:

marcel ledbetter said:

Thanks for the heads' up. What do you recommend? Hope to pass this trailer to my grandkids so don't want to cut corners on anything.

The layering should be such that the aluminum doesn't come in contact with the treated wood. But be sure to use the coated screws not galvanized. They make one for tapping into steel frame that also has wood threads on top.
Chetos
AG
Also I have a ton of supplies and tools for this project that I'll make you a good deal on. Rivet tools...the cylco polisher etc.
marcel ledbetter
What Chetos says makes sense. I haven't done much work on aluminum riveted trailers, just stick built. I'd need to do more research on the treated would before I could offer more information on it being suitable for use in a trailer. I've used eastern poplar for building trailer frames (not the chassis) and I've liked it. Once you finish the build, proper maintenance will ensure you can give it to your grand kids. It would surprise you how many trailers are still roadworthy that were built in the 40's and 50's with their original wood framing.

Asbestos and lead paint exposure is a real concern, though, so get a good respirator.
Chetos
AG
dubi said:

marcel ledbetter said:

It was a 72 sovereign. I had rebuilt and replaced everything mechanical ... from axels to plumbing to ac to wiring... bath... toilet... everything . Had finished the exterior polish (which takes a lifetime) . Was about to start the interior furnishing redesign and then there was an accident that resulted in about 3-4 panels being side swiped by an 18 wheeler. I found oem replacement panels and was about to replace them, And then a freak hail storm resulted in 1000's of dings on every panel. It sat for 4 years before I could bring myself to sell it for salvage.
coolerguy12
AG
Man that sucks to hear. That's my biggest fear is having something happen after doing all this.

I have a rivet gun although it's fairly cheap. This is anodized aluminum so it really doesn't polish. I haven't done much research yet on how to clean it but so far a little soap and water has gone a long way. Where are you located? Wouldn't mind seeing what tools you have that I may need.
coolerguy12
AG
Chetos said:

coolerguy12 said:

marcel ledbetter said:

The layering should be such that the aluminum doesn't come in contact with the treated wood. But be sure to use the coated screws not galvanized. They make one for tapping into steel frame that also has wood threads on top.

I was planning to use stainless carriage bolts to tie the 2x4 to the frame and then self tapping screws to hold the plywood to the frame.

Also planning to get a cover and reseal the whole exterior so hopefully water penetration is a non-issue
marcel ledbetter
There are Airstream trailer groups on Facebook that should point you in the right direction. Also, check out vintage trailer talk.com. there are lots of very knowledgeable people over there.
pdc093
marcel ledbetter
What do you mean by getting a cover and resealing everything?

coolerguy12
AG
Anything bolted to the roof I'll remove and reseal the bolt hole and around whatever is sticking through. Seal all the roof seams, I have seen some people use a heavy duty water proof tape on roof seams. By cover I mean a removable cover that I'll put on while in storage.
marcel ledbetter
Butyl tape is what folks use to seal vents, windows, exterior trim, etc. Putty tape is similar and is what was used for decades. It works, but the butyl is a better option these day. There are some self leveling sealing compounds available that work well to seal flat surfaces such as ceiling vents but I can't remember the brand.

Most leaks will be at the vents and windows. Where the skin is joined together via a Pittsburgh seam, etc. leaks are uncommon unless there has been some structural damage. Your trailer has a nice round ceiling that should shed water like a ducks back.
coolerguy12
AG
The only rot in the floor is within 12" of the perimeter but it's almost 75% of the perimeter is rotted. I'm assuming any leaks will hit the inner shell and run down the wall to the perimeter. Either way I'm going to go through the roof and reseal anything that looks like it needs it.
coolerguy12
AG
Hit the front frame with the wire wheel to get it ready for POR15.

Only had one brush. If it's stupid and it works it's not stupid.

Got the first 4oz can of POR down. I take breaks of 1-2 weeks at a time so I didn't want to mess with keeping a large can from turning to crap so I got a bunch of small cans. Next step is to put temp supports on the sides and pull the one up front, then POR the very front, then install the permanent floor piece up front. At that point I can say I'm building a trailer instead of just destroying one.

This guy napped for almost 4 hours today while big sister went to the ballet so I got a lot done. Had to give him props.

pdc093
He's ADORABLE!
You really hit the ground running on this trailer reno.
Thank you for sharing your progress!
SteveBott
AG
Enjoying this thread
txrancher69
AG
This is an enjoyable and interesting thread. I admire your energy!
FIDO 96
AG
Watchlisted. Best of luck.
GeeBee
AG
I'm about to start on my 1965 Safari. Do you by chance have a Olympic Rivet shave tool you want to sell?
AgLandMan
AG
Cool thread.

10 years ago I bought a 1973 airstream and had plans to gut and rebuild it. Cost me 2 grand for it. Never got around to remodeling and it sat in my driveway for two years. Sold it for $3500.

Good luck.
Texmid
AG
I'm in on this cool thread.
coolerguy12
AG
After doing some more research on the floor I'm leaning towards Coosa Composites. I got the idea on an airstream forum and have been looking at it for a couple days. Lighter and stronger than wood and 100% resilient to water and mold. It comes at a price though, $390 for 4' x 8' x 1.5". I'll need 5 for the trailer. I figure an extra $1200 for the floor (instead of marine grade plywood) will payoff in the long run.
SteveBott
AG
Good decision

Measure twice...cut once
coolerguy12
AG
SteveBott said:

Good decision

Measure twice...cut once

I'll measure about 10 times. Each sheet will weigh 104 lbs so I'll be sure to have someone help me handle them.
Chetos
AG
GeeBee said:

I'm about to start on my 1965 Safari. Do you by chance have a Olympic Rivet shave tool you want to sell?
Yup...pm me ur contact info.
samsal75
AG
Good luck with your project. Keep in mind the weight of material you are using in the rebuild. Given it is a single axle trailer you might want to confirm axle rating and try to keep up with weight you are adding in way of subfloor, laminate or whatever used, cabinets, etc. Last thing you will want to do is exceed axle rating. Just my two cents worth. Looking forward to seeing the completed trailer!!
coolerguy12
AG
Working from home on quarantine sure has its benefits. Picked up 2 sheets of Coosa board yesterday and did some more frame prep today. This is the worst spot of rust I found (really the only bad spot). Waiting on some 10/3 cable to show up on amazon so I can reach my welder out to my driveway.

2 sheets of Coosa board. Waiting on 3 more to show up in 4-5 weeks. This will keep me busy for a bit though.

Ready to make some templates and start cutting Coosa. Anyone have good ideas on how to cut the curves? I have a cheap jigsaw and a sawsall, plan to try each out on a scrap corner.

Took advantage of work being slow (thanks Russia/OPEC) to go to the tax office. Got my buddy to help install the plate. Title should be here in a few weeks which I'm pumped about. It was out of state so I was worried there would be issues.

Aggietaco
AG
Hadn't heard of the coosa board, so I did some reading up on it. Sounds like a good material choice for a subfloor with the exception of needing a backing plate for anything you attach to it. I would think a router and template would make good work of those radii.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.