Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dominoes are outdoors...

6,814 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by agfan2013
BigCountryAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to upgrade my current set of cheap doms and have some good quality sets made for my boys to have for their families now that they're adults.

So who makes the best heirlom-quality sets these days?
Would like to have family name on them with a nice quality wood box.

Thanks in advance.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...DON'T teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man...and fishing's not that hard" - Ron Swanson
AgEng98
Puremco
BigCountryAg
AG
AgEng98 said:

Puremco
That's one of the primary brands I've been looking at but seems lots of reviews around saying their quality has had a marked dropoff the past few years.

Not looking for works of art by any means, but do want good quality. Just don't want Chinese-made, gift shop dominoes. Something to last a good while, with good feel and heft to them.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...DON'T teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man...and fishing's not that hard" - Ron Swanson
Stormchaser
AG
Puremco. Last year I called them to order a custom set as a gift for a ranch we hunt on. I had taken a pic of the ranch sign with its logo by the front gate and emailed it to her during our conversation. The person helping me scanned it into her software, emailed me back during the same call with how it would look, and we made the deal for a set with the logo and ranch name. I had the order in a few days.
coolerguy12
AG
Whatever you get make sure they all look the same on the back. Buddy in college got a super nice marble set that he was really proud of. After playing a couple hands another friend shook and then flipped over the 5-5, 6-4, 6-6, and a few counters. We went back to the cheap set we had before.
PFG
AG
That's a funny story. Never thought of that with marbling.
GSS
Two choices for TX A&M branding..

https://www.dominoes.com/double-6/University/PSDUSD99-University
NRA Life
TSRA Life
agfan2013
AG
I used the place in Waco for groomsman gifts (Great American Domino Company I think) which is the site www.dominoes.com

Easy to pick out what sort of set you want and then customize a logo yourself or send it to them to scan and upload.
Stormchaser
AG
agfan2013 said:

I used the place in Waco for groomsman gifts (Great American Domino Company I think) which is the site www.dominoes.com

Easy to pick out what sort of set you want and then customize a logo yourself or send it to them to scan and upload.
This is also Puremco.and the song Matt Hillyer sings about in "These Old Bones".
Aggieangler93
AG
I've always wanted a jumbo maroon set with white dots. Even better with A&M logo. I was hoping to have a Puremco set, but they don't make a maroon blank with white dots, at least when I called a few years back, they didn't.

My wife and kids got me a nice set from Aggieland Outfitters that is a regular size set, maroon with white dots, and A%M logo on the back. They came in a really nice box too. If they were jumbo, they would be exactly what I have been after for years. But, they are a very close second.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
smstavinoha88
AG
Whatever you do, make sure to get the thickest available, and spinners.
aggiedent
AG
I had a massive problem with Puremco last year. Ordered a university set for my wife in early December. Didn't arrive for Christmas. Called them in January and they said they didn't receive any order from me.

Had to show them a copy of the receipt and the credit card charge. Still didn't get them. Had to threaten legal action before they finally decided to send me the set. That was 2 months after the order.
DE4D
AG
Emerald Green - If you shake a lot.
I shook the letters off of several sets in undergrad. admittedly I played wayyy too many hands. Crown bag still the go to for a quick bone sack?
rather be fishing
AG
I was headed south on 35 one time and got stuck right by the Puremco shop during a wreck. I decided to go ahead and exit and pickup a set of A&M dominoes. It was fate.
lkx398
AG
sw@n said:

Emerald Green - If you shake a lot.
I shook the letters off of several sets in undergrad. admittedly I played wayyy too many hands. Crown bag still the go to for a quick bone sack?

I grew up watching my grandpa play using a green set. I didn't get them when he passed but my wife found me a nearly identical set.

Look for some older sets in antique stores if you're wanting an alternative to new ones.
Spoony Love
AG
This would be my suggestion. I frequent the Warrenton show in the Spring and Fall and can find sets fairly easy. I love playing with old sets just like playing on old tables. The stories those bones could tell if you could just listen.

Plus, they are already worn in and classic. Try looking in old shops for unique sets that you may not find elsewhere. I'v run across, and picked up, several green and red sets. one that is real close to maroon but it's still a dark red with black dots. Love playing with that set. Came with a custom box as well.
Aggieangler93
AG
Some of my favorite sets are ones that were my Grandparents on both sides. We play with them from time to time.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Spoony Love
AG
I gotta know where I can get my hands on those
IWannaGoFast1
AG
WheelinAg
AG
Our small company uses Brendon and Lawrence for CNC machining. I've scene the dominoes first hand and they are top notch!
IWannaGoFast1
AG
I did some mechanical engraving for the first time and was proud of the outcome, so here we go. These bones were done for the gentleman that runs PMC several years ago and we asked if we could update them with the shield this week. Getting the process down took some time, but I'm happy with the results.

cevans_40
AG
coleasterling said:

I did some mechanical engraving for the first time and was proud of the outcome, so here we go. These bones were done for the gentleman that runs PMC several years ago and we asked if we could update them with the shield this week. Getting the process down took some time, but I'm happy with the results.

And some I went a little crazy on, just playing around figuring out the process for engraving the blanks. Most of these are wildly unrealistic to sell. The time it takes to cut a few of the designs would nearly double the cost of a set. Still, I think they look cool.

Take my money
cap-n-jack
How much for COTA? Seriously.
aggieband 83
AG
The Cav shield is beautiful!
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Centerpole90
AG
coleasterling said:

.... check out our Facebook page, Brendon & Lawrence Manufacturing. .
Well. There went a half an hour. I just hauled home a new to me lathe; can you come show me how to operate it?

Nice work.
jejdag
We used to have some green ones when I was growing up, too...wonder what ever happened to them.
Just saw these on craigslist if someone wants to make a run at them.

https://killeen.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=domino&sort=rel
schmellba99
AG
Man, a good game of bones and some LSL under piss poor lighting would be awesome right about now.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
IWannaGoFast1
AG
danieljustin06
AG
Are you able to do the block aTm on the back? And how much are y'all asking for a set?
IWannaGoFast1
AG
danieljustin06 said:

Are you able to do the block aTm on the back? And how much are y'all asking for a set?
That, we definitely CAN'T do. I wish we could, but the licensing costs are absolutely staggering.

Centerpole90
AG
No, not in BCS, but I would like to talk to you about having something made. Would you shoot me an email, my username @ yahoo, with your phone # or who to ask for if I call the shop? Thanks.
danieljustin06
AG
I was pretty sure you wouldn't be able to do the aTm bc of licensing and not surprised by the cost either. Unfortunately it's more than I can afford at this time. Thanks for getting back though!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.