Outdoors
Sponsored by

Shotgun - Home Defense

7,739 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgBQ-00
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whatever you can work reliably while halfway ****ting your pants from adrenaline. Dont wanna nervously short stroke that bad boy in crunch time.
BlueSmoke
Nobody cares. Work Harder
SMM48
AG
too add to the positive id of what you are shooting.

don't discount the disabling properties of a 300-500-700-1500 lumen light blasting you in the face.

I'm sure many ob'ers can testify when practicing a draw into the mirror, that we've all blinded the hell out of ourselves at one time or another.

the light is for ID, but it also will disorient even for a second anyone you are aiming it at...

"If you've ever blinded yourself in the mirror with your own weapon light to see how bright it really is.....go ahead and hit that subscribe button"
GSS
The farmer prefers a pump...looks like an Ithaca??
https://vimeo.com/237951881
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG

Ohh it's NSFW (Language)
Muzzleblast
Mine is a Scattergun Technologies TR870.

I also keep a Glock 19X in my bedside holster. It has a Streamlight weapons light on it. Loaded with +P+ 124 hp ammo.

I live on my farm in Grimes Co. Well away from any PoPo response.
maroonbeansnrice
AG
Yeah. I'm gonna have to disagree with a lot of this thread unless you live in a masonry/concrete house. Most recently built houses are all sheet-rock and a lot of bullets/lead (to include from a shotgun) will easily penetrate them. What's in the line of fire beyond the bad guy? Not sure a shotgun is the best HD weapon. An accurately fired soft/expanding round from a handgun is my thinking on the way to go, assuming you take the family to the range. And training your family (you may not be home that night) up on handguns is easier than shotguns (see gif). Agree, the clack-clack of chambering a shotgun round has a psychological impact, but better to keep a round in the chamber click off the safety and blast their ass. That's pretty impactful as well.

bonfarr
AG
What if you fill your scattergun with rice like Granny Clampett? Then it serves as home defense and corporal punishment when Jethro misbehaves.

BenderRodriguez
AG
You know what's easier to train inexperienced shooters on than handguns? AR-15.

Guess what also penetrates modern house construction less than either handgun or shotgun ammunition? 5.56.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
maroonbeansnrice said:

Yeah. I'm gonna have to disagree with a lot of this thread unless you live in a masonry/concrete house. Most recently built houses are all sheet-rock and a lot of bullets/lead (to include from a shotgun) will easily penetrate them. What's in the line of fire beyond the bad guy? Not sure a shotgun is the best HD weapon. An accurately fired soft/expanding round from a handgun is my thinking on the way to go, assuming you take the family to the range. And training your family (you may not be home that night) up on handguns is easier than shotguns (see gif). Agree, the clack-clack of chambering a shotgun round has a psychological impact, but better to keep a round in the chamber click off the safety and blast their ass. That's pretty impactful as well.

Here you go:

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-1-the-original-box-o-truth/
Vae Victis
maroonbeansnrice
AG
Nealthedestroyer said:

maroonbeansnrice said:

Here you go:

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-1-the-original-box-o-truth/
Note, what I specifically referred above (see my sof/expanding part) to was not ball ammunition, as used in the linked "truth" article above.. Anyhoo, everyone has thoughts/preferences. Nobody is necessarily right or wrong. It is an important enough topic to debate, research, and/or (as in the linked example) experiment, but in all the above choices (AR-15, shotgun, handgun) what probably matters most is the ammo and the competency of the shooter(s).

Tenacity and confidence (not everyone in a family innately has these) play a role too, and these, along with shooting skills, can be taught.
maroonbeansnrice
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

You know what's easier to train inexperienced shooters on than handguns? AR-15.

Guess what also penetrates modern house construction less than either handgun or shotgun ammunition? 5.56.

ARs are great. Rarely have I met a weapon I din't like. But unless it is a super short version and/or you know what you are doing it is harder to manipulate a long-arm in narrow hallways and gives an attacker more to grab onto and take it away from someone.

Sometimes bad guys might be up close and personal and you don't have the luxury of a stand-off shot. With a handgun I can have one hand on you and shoot you in the torso from my hip with the other.
txyaloo
AG
maroonbeansnrice said:

There's a reason the military and police departments have transitioned from revolvers, to shotguns, to pistol caliber carbines, and now to 5.56 carbines.

As Bender said, training someone to shoot a handgun well is significantly more difficult than training to shoot a carbine or shotgun. Any modern pistol caliber self defense round is also going to have over penetration issues. I wouldn't shoot frangible ammo in my home defense gun. It's better than nothing, but a 5.56 weapon is a better choice.
Ogre09
AG
If it will stop an intruder it will penetrate several rooms worth of sheet rock. If it will not shot through sheet rock it won't stop an intruder.
RM1993
AG
txyaloo said:

maroonbeansnrice said:

There's a reason the military and police departments have transitioned from revolvers, to shotguns, to pistol caliber carbines, and now to 5.56 carbines.

As Bender said, training someone to shoot a handgun well is significantly more difficult than training to shoot a carbine or shotgun. Any modern pistol caliber self defense round is also going to have over penetration issues. I wouldn't shoot frangible ammo in my home defense gun. It's better than nothing, but a 5.56 weapon is a better choice.

Plus, both of my kids at 6 yrs old and maybe all of 50 lbs could handle a shotgun (12 or 20) better than the dumb chic in this gif.

Should I go pull gifs of sumbasses catching a pistol in the face from recoil to make my point seem more valid?
maroonbeansnrice
AG
RM1993 said:

txyaloo said:

maroonbeansnrice said:

Plus, both of my kids at 6 yrs old and maybe all of 50 lbs could handle a shotgun (12 or 20) better than the dumb chic in this gif.

Should I go pull gifs of sumbasses catching a pistol in the face from recoil to make my point seem more valid?
The gif was meant to be humorous. Lighten up Francis. Have a Merry Christmas.
RM1993
AG
Hey, you are the one who talked about how hard it was to train someone on a shotgun and then said see the gif as reference.

Count me in the group who believes that a shotgun or AR would be much more effective in the hands of someone with minimal training rather than a pistol.

I don't think the close quarters combat scenario is even a factor - anyone skilled enough to grapple with an intruder hip shoot them is just as likely to stop them with a long gun. Conversely, a novice shooter would be more capable with a long gun rather than a pistol.
SMM48
AG
F that. Barrier blind through the sheet rock.
Reginald Cousins
S
GeorgiAg said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Right near the bed.

Ok that's pretty cool

Mossberg Shockwave with Black Aces kit.

Also installed an OPSOL so my home defense is 1 3/4" mini shells.
Reginald Cousins
S
suburban cowboy said:

Reginald Cousins said:

Right near the bed.

Where can I buy this

Buy a Mossberg Shockwave. Install the Black Aces Kit. Add an OPSOL so you can shoot 1 3/4" Aguila mini shells at 1200 FPS. Instead of holding 5 regulars it will hold like 9 minis.

Total cost was around $500, but I caught the shockwave on sale for around $260.
Shea.mcphail
AG
CS78 said:

fill it full of #1 buck.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Just picked up a Mossberg 590 Shockwave with some Christmas cash I got.
hunter2012
AG
Loadout suggestion
  • #4 Buck
  • #4 Buck
  • #4 Buck
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • dragon's breath
  • dragon's breath

The first few are during the adrenaline dump and you'll want a spread to compensate. The slugs are for the determined attacker where the buckshot didn't chase off the perps. The dragon's breath are a combo of "f*** it it's time to bail" and "if I can't have my stuff no one will". If the dragon's breath doesn't take the fight out of the attacker or provide an avenue of escape(like your house being on fire), then I hope you led a good life.
Ark03
AG
hunter2012 said:

Loadout suggestion
  • #4 Buck
  • #4 Buck
  • #4 Buck
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • dragon's breath
  • dragon's breath

The first few are during the adrenaline dump and you'll want a spread to compensate. The slugs are for the determined attacker where the buckshot didn't chase off the perps. The dragon's breath are a combo of "*****it it's time to bail" and "if I can't have my stuff no one will". If the dragon's breath doesn't take the fight out of the attacker or provide an avenue of escape(like your house being on fire), then I hope you led a good life.
Definitely need the buckshot so you don't have to aim ... wait, dragon's breath? Now I'm sure this is a troll!!
Burn-It
AG
hunter2012 said:

Loadout suggestion
  • #4 Buck
  • #4 Buck
  • #4 Buck
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • slug
  • dragon's breath
  • dragon's breath

The first few are during the adrenaline dump and you'll want a spread to compensate. The slugs are for the determined attacker where the buckshot didn't chase off the perps. The dragon's breath are a combo of "f*** it it's time to bail" and "if I can't have my stuff no one will". If the dragon's breath doesn't take the fight out of the attacker or provide an avenue of escape(like your house being on fire), then I hope you led a good life.

Never heard of dragons breath, YouTube educated me, DAMN!

AKA 13-0
Burn-It
AG
Was looking for a Mossberg FLEX 500 Tactical #50673 and they are out of stock everywhere I look. Any suggestions appreciated.

AKA 13-0
ShinerDunk93
AG
You could just get this

Mossberg Maverick 88 Security 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun

Sell them at Academy for 199. All the Mossberg 500 accessories and aftermarkets work on it if you want to make look more scary.

they also sell it as a combo so you get two barrels. 18.5 and a hunting barrel
Spinnerag
AG
Anyone knows where i can presently buy either a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500/590? Seems like they have all been bought up..

If either are unavailable, I am assuming an AR is the next best option for home defense?
Hamburger Dan
They were all swept up in the Great Toilet Paper rush in March. Seriously, they were. I looked high and low for another Mossberg.
mm98
AG
Spinnerag said:

Anyone knows where i can presently buy either a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500/590? Seems like they have all been bought up..

If either are unavailable, I am assuming an AR is the next best option for home defense?

Dicks had a sale on 500s last week for $219 and you can just buy an additional 18" barrel from an online site. Keeps it all under $400 still.

Trying to find HD shotguns already in short barrels is pretty mich impossible now.
Burn-It
AG
Anyone used gunbrokers.com? Was looking at a KSG, damn things are bidding at over $1500. The law of supply & demand is in full effect & guys are making some profits.

AKA 13-0
planoaggie123
AG
Academy has been sold our for a while...hoping they get some back in stock in the next month or two...
AgBQ-00
AG
Ar is step above shotgun for home defense. Both effective but AR is better
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.