Outdoors
Sponsored by

New Family Dog

7,164 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jtp01
La Vernia_Ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exciting times in our home. It's been almost 13 years since we've bought a new dog, and neither of our sons have had a puppy since our oldest was a baby. We're looking at a variety of dogs, both small and large, so what better place to get feedback than the OB. We're currently down to three breeds (Dachshunds, Lab, French Pointer) and looking for breeder recommendations and what one would expect to pay?
SanAntoneAg
AG
Get a Lab. Train it, even remedially. End of thread.
Gig 'em! '90
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Found my Chocolate Lab in the Houston Chronicle 13 years ago. Turned out the breeder was in my Soil Science Class. He had no crazy pedigree, but was the best and most loyal dog I have ever had. We put him down this summer. Tears me up just typing it. $400

His "replacement" is a Rhodesian Ridgeback we got from Grace Ridge Kennels in Boerne. He has the best possible pedigree (grand dad won best of breed westminster and dad won national best of breed). He is extremely sweet and gentle. I got him as a guard dog for my wife since I travel a lot, and a running companion for me with my ironman training. I am not sure he will stand up to an intruder, but his appearance alone would deter most people. 100# of solid muscle even though he is a giant lover and lap dog. He is just as sweet as my lab and only 2 years old. I still do miss my lab. If he is half the dog my lab was, I will be extremely happy. $2000
agsalaska
AG
Goldendoodles.

You missed my litter.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

ttha_aggie_09
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Get a Lab. Train it, even remedially and Say goodbye to all of your shoes left unattended, kids toys on the ground, hats, furniture, socket covers and much more. End of thread.
FIFY
Rule #1

"shoot more ducks"
IslandAg76
AG
Just a reminder- a lot of good dogs out there who need to be adopted
"Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself." Mark Twain
giddings_ag_06
AG
Dachshunds- small and annoying, might be accidentally eaten during a party involving hot dogs

Lab- useful, popular, trainable, family oriented and friendly

French Pointer- ....... french..... hard pass
Chipotlemonger
AG
IslandAg76 said:

Agreed with this. What are you looking for in your dog, OP?
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
Well it's a toss up at this point, some of the family want a smaller dog to go with the Yorkie, but some want something bigger that we can do more outside activities with take to the ranch/maybe a little bird hunting.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Check out the FB page called "Wild Bird Hunters Classifieds, Litter Announcements, Stud Dogs, Etc.". Found my draht I pick up this Thursday on there, and they have Griffons from hunting lines on there quite often.

Meant to post this on the Griffon post.
BCStalk
You don't need a small dog to go with your yorkie. We have 2 of them and they pretty much own our 80lb dog.
78_Pacecar
AG
IslandAg76 said:

Yeah I tried the Mega Adoption thing in Houston this weekend. 2+ Hour wait before getting in to see the animals for adoption, advertised as 1000+. Then spent over an hour trapped in Toyota center parking garage because the gates stopped working and the little Honda's didn't want to run the gates.

Events like that make it worth it to go to a breeder.

Still in need of two puppies for the boys.
Cromagnum
AG
Dont get a lab unless you keep it steadily employed. They will eat everything, destroy what you dont want them to, and will cost you vet bills unless you keep them occupied.
JR Ewingford
Boxer. All Ill ever get these days.
reddog90
AG
If you are considering labs, also consider goldens.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3041652/replies/55131432
IamGroot
AG
we have a 5 month old puppy. He was sold as a "golden", and I would have believed it looking at his parents.
But he has to be a full blooded "moran".
Aggiehunter34
S
Second a Golden
aggiedent
AG
There are local adoption events on weekends where in a short period of time you can see upwards of 40-50 dogs easily. Not to mention shelters where you can see even more.

Just my opinion, but I would never buy a dog when there are so many adoptable.
ironmanag
AG
EwingBarnes said:

I love my current boxer she is super sweet and uber affectionate.

According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
HtownAg92
AG
We had labs, but we decided to avoid the shedding and allergy problems once our last one died.

We adopted a Pudelpointer, which is medium size and a pretty perfect dog. Smart, sweet, protective of the kids, etc.

We recently got her a brother - a Giant Schnauzer. He's 10 months old and weighs 80#, and stands taller than our neighbor's lab. He's still a big oaf, but he's already very protective of the kids and house. He's a little stubborn to training so far, but gets it.

When looking for dogs, I was sold on the Giant when I read that their main job originally was to guard German breweries.
AgTech88
AG
My 2 cents after having 10+ dogs over the years....

If it is only for a family pet (no specific hunting etc.) go with a rescue. All the rescue dogs I have ever been around (mine and friends etc.) have been incredible pets. It's like they know you gave them a second chance. Some of the most lovable, loyal, overall wonderful pets we ever had. Only possible downside is not knowing dogs background so slim chance of personality/behavior issues. We had 1 rescue that was too protective to the point of being worried about biting someone. The way we managed this possibility was using a rescue group that 1) was "no kill" no matter what, and 2) allowed you to return the dog if it didn't work out. Only happened once to us and was a difficult decision, but knowing it would not be put down helped.
General recommendation for a Rescue - look for a lab mix of some type. If you want something smaller than a 90 # lab look for something mixed with a smaller breed. Our very first dog was a Lab - Terrier mix. Looked like a lab except for the wire-y goatee but was 50 ish #. Also the terrier made him a little more of a guard dog than a typical lab.

If you really want a pure bred but still as only a family pet - Get a lab from a recommended/reputable breeder but tell them you will take the runt of the litter or another pup that they dont think will be a good hunter because they are too laid back. Gets you a good dog from a known pedigree to avoid health issues etc., but will cost less and be less active/destructive generally.

Another option if you want a smaller dog - look at a Mini Australian Shepherd. I am not a small dog guy, so when the wife decided she wanted a mini Aussie I was skeptical. After 4 years I can say she is a kick a$$ little dog. They do have a bit of energy to manage but after having a litter of puppies and getting fixed she has chilled out nicely.

Last advice. No matter what you get spend the time & $$ to get them well trained. I recommend getting basic hunt training - just a higher level of training than basic obedience. We even sent the Aussie to the guy that trains my hunting labs and it was well worth it. We also "kennel train" all our dogs which drastically cuts down on destructive issues and keeps them safe when unattended.

Just my 2 cents, and I am sure some on here will disagree with some or all of this. Not meaning to start a debate...

Trinity Ag
S
La Vernia_Ag06 said:

Exciting times in our home. It's been almost 13 years since we've bought a new dog, and neither of our sons have had a puppy since our oldest was a baby. We're looking at a variety of dogs, both small and large, so what better place to get feedback than the OB. We're currently down to three breeds (Dachshunds, Lab, French Pointer) and looking for breeder recommendations and what one would expect to pay?
So I start reading this thread wondering: who the heck would be cross-shopping dachshunds, Labs, and pointers

Not exactly necking down your options, here, are you?

Then I go down the rabbit-hole of "what is a French Pointer, anyway?"

Oh, it is a Vizsla-sized pointer that is easy to train, is a family dog, will work upland AND waterfowl (they love the water), and looks like a small GSP.

Now I am checking out puppy pics, and reading about Braque Francais-Pyrenees breeders-- and thinking I have to have one.

Dog threads are dangerous....

Beckdiesel03
AG
We are on lab #3. We went with an English lab this go round because they are supposed to be more laid back and not so wild and with work and kids that's what we needed. He has been perfect. He loves the kids, loves to bird hunt, and has been easy to train with little effort. We are even on a list for another one for the spring so he has a buddy to play with and will leave our geriatric lab alone. So if you look into labs look into more of an English style versus American sporting type.
IslandAg76
AG
Quote:

Yeah I tried the Mega Adoption thing in Houston this weekend. 2+ Hour wait before getting in to see the animals for adoption, advertised as 1000+. Then spent over an hour trapped in Toyota center parking garage because the gates stopped working and the little Honda's didn't want to run the gates.

Events like that make it worth it to go to a breeder.

Still in need of two puppies for the boys.

So...go to the local shelter on Tuesday morning, you'll probably be all alone.
"Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself." Mark Twain
alamogeorge
AG

rsmithtesiusa nailed it with his advice. Just to add something to the discussion. If you ever need to lose a few hours.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
Furlock Bones
AG
Trinity Ag said:

La Vernia_Ag06 said:

So I start reading this thread wondering: who the heck would be cross-shopping dachshunds, Labs, and pointers

Oh, it is a Vizsla-sized pointer that is easy to train, is a family dog, will work upland AND waterfowl (they love the water), and looks like a small GSP.

Now I am checking out puppy pics, and reading about Braque Francais-Pyrenees breeders-- and thinking I have to have one.

i have a Braque Francais. She's 1.5 years old.

here she was earlier this year when i picked her up from training.

i can answer a few questions about them if you're interested.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
EwingBarnes said:

We have a boxer/pit bull rescue. One of the best dogs we ever have had. Very sweet dog.
Loves to hunt too.
TxFig
AG

La Vernia_Ag06: Can I contact you off-line about this? Email me at chris@txbarnes.com or call my cell at 979-220-0004
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
DE4D
AG
giddings_ag_06 said:

Dachshunds- small and annoying, might be accidentally eaten during a party involving hot dogs

Lab- useful, popular, trainable, family oriented and friendly

French Pointer- ....... french..... hard pass

Oh sure it's all fun and games until the Dachshund gets pissed off and rips your goldendoodles intestines out from below. So cute, so vicious
Trinity Ag
S
Furlock Bones said:

Trinity Ag said:

La Vernia_Ag06 said:

i have a Braque Francais. She's 1.5 years old.

here she was earlier this year when i picked her up from training.

i can answer a few questions about them if you're interested.
I am interested, but not yet serious about getting another dog. My Vizsla is 11.5, and slowing down. My next dog is going to get gun trained...but whether there is a "next" dog is under some debate at the house command level.

The bottom line is that the "next" dog is mine, with all that implies in terms of care, and my current work schedule doesn't really support that.

Where did you get your pup? Did the breeder train her?

cmgigem
AG
Your Ridgeback with defiantly stand up to an intruder. I have had 3 now and they are calm loyal dogs but will protect the family. I don't know how but they know when someone is not supposed to be there. I had the same thought about our first ridgeback that you do just their presence will scare most people. One of ours when through the front window when someone was messing with stuff on our front porch.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Get one of these

MrWonderful
AG
It's been said already, but bears repeating. If you're going to get a working dog (i.e. lab, pointer, etc.), then you need to work it. My lab is (objectively of course) the best dog in the world, because I trained him and work him / exercise him everyday. Probably chewed up 3 pairs of shoes his entire life (about a 2 week phase as a puppy).

Always blows my mind when people get working dogs, do absolutely nothing with them, and are shocked when they are "bad". They're not bad, they're bored out of their mind!
texag_89
Gotta go for a Hound... THE best damn family dogs ever. May I suggest the following we have owned:
- bluetick
- redbone
- beagle
- bloodhound currently (she is a sweetheart... A little inbred acting, but she did come from East Texas, so expected)

Or, deviate and get a Wired Hair Fox Terrier for a whole other kind of dog!!

Seriously, can't go wrong with a Hound.

[url=https://postimg.cc/dkjkrnnc][/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/w3PyJtQv][/url]

Badace52
AG
texag_89 said:

Gotta go for a Hound... THE best damn family dogs ever. May I suggest the following we have owned:
- bluetick
- redbone
- beagle
- bloodhound currently (she is a sweetheart... A little inbred acting, but she did come from East Texas, so expected)

Or, deviate and get a Wired Hair Fox Terrier for a whole other kind of dog!!

Seriously, can't go wrong with a Hound.

[url=https://postimg.cc/dkjkrnnc][/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/w3PyJtQv][/url]

I absolutely love hounds, but they howl soooo much as young dogs. Have to be ready for that.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.