Outdoors
Sponsored by

Golden Retriever Rec's

13,682 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by reddog90
IamGroot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a golden retriever puppy in DFW area. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
This is 2019. You have to add some sort of adjective to your dog breed these days. Try asking for reccs on a miniature golden or a short haired golden, or maybe a white golden. Nobody stocks just base model dogs anymore.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Planning on breeding mine this year. Best dog the OB has ever seen. Field line so he's maxed out at about 65 pounds. Hunting fool.
FincAg
AG
OP things to consider:

What are you willing to spend? $500, $2000, $5000
What is the purpose? Working, indoor house dog and family pet, both
What style? English, Canadian, American
What color? Red, golden, white
How far are you willing to travel?
Are you spaying/neutering or wanting to keep intact?
When are you hoping to have said puppy?

Those might help folks be more willing to make their recommendations.
IamGroot
AG
Good points.
Timing: now
Purpose: spoiled indoor pet (with plenty of walks and occasional trip to ranch)
Style: don't know enough to care
Color: preference is red or gold.
Will be neutered (or spayed) at appropriate time
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

This is 2019. You have to add some sort of adjective to your dog breed these days. Try asking for reccs on a miniature golden or a short haired golden, or maybe a white golden. Nobody stocks just base model dogs anymore.
What about silver? A Silver Golden Retriever, yeah that's the ticket.
Back2Back
AG
Absolutely would recommend Heartlight Goldens out of Edom, which is an hour East of Dallas. Her name is Tracy Garner. She lives and breaths all things Golden.I currently have a 3 year old and a 6 month old from her and both have been wonderful. I know several other posters would recommend her as well. Let me know if you want any more information

Big Bucks
AG
Our Golden turned one on Saturday. Got her from Tracy Garner as well based off recommendations from here. She is a great dog and I will add my recommendation. Good to hear you plan on fixing the dog as she won't give you papers. Too many trashy breeders at the nearby Canton Trade Days.
HartWorm93
AG
Back2Back said:

Absolutely would recommend Heartlight Goldens out of Edom, which is an hour East of Dallas. Her name is Tracy Garner. She lives and breaths all things Golden.I currently have a 3 year old and a 6 month old from her and both have been wonderful. I know several other posters would recommend her as well. Let me know if you want any more information

Plus, you can pick some pretty big blue berries while in Edom.
Duck Blind
AG
HartWorm93 said:

Back2Back said:

Plus, you can pick some pretty big blue berries while in Edom.

I have two from Tracy. Awesome dogs. Cannot recommend her enough. She genuinely loves every puppy. Does this full time and knows what she's doing.

Search my other posts about her.
aggiefan117
AG
We got ours from JHW Ranch Golden's out of Gober (NTX). He's a beautiful little guy and really smart. Would make a great house pet. He's up in Paige at Best Retrievers right now and is doing really well in their gun dog program as well. Not super expensive as far as Golden's go. AKC registered and all health clearances

Saltwater Assassin
AG
I have nothing to add other than to say excellent choice.

IMHO there is not a better companion than a Golden.
K.hou
Fiance and I are looking to add a goldie to our home to be spoiled rotten. Having a difficult time so far choosing a breeder. Would you mind sending me Tracey Garner's information via email? Email address: klowiteng@yahoo.com, Thanks!
Boo Weekley
Highly recommend...

https://www.englishcreamgoldenpuppies.com/
reddog90
AG
Old thread, but at a minimum look for OFA clearances on hips, elbows, eyes, and heart. Look for history of cancer in the pedigree. Test, trial, obedience etc titles in the pedigree would be great and display biddability. Great breeders do early neuro stim and put a **** ton of effort into the pups those first few weeks. Do not buy a doodle, from a backyard breeder, or someone solely concentrating on coat color. There are also breed specific rescues if you don't want to cough up the price for the above. Not a complete list at all but here are some that come to mind:

Topbrass
Adirondac
Emberain
Gallo Gold
Saturday Night
Sutter Bay
Vintage
SkyRiver
Watermark
Thunderstruck
Katian
K.hou
Made arrangements with an extremely reputable breeder only to have her change her mind at the last minute and have been awfully stressed out as we were so excited and ready. Now having a hard time finding a breeder who is willing to be a bit more communicative with us. Also had some horrible backyard breeder cases so definitely looking for a puppy with core clearances. Ideally, we were hoping to keep our price at $2000. Spoke with someone who had wonderful dogs with all clearances but unfortunately that $3000 price tag is out of reach for us.
Datman
AG
Golden Rule Retrievers, Buffalo TX. They specialize in service, therapy and companion dogs. I have a two year old from there. My second golden, and while I miss my old pal, this gal is a knockout. Super athletic and really sweet disposition. She has her preferences in people, but she will hang with and work her butt off for anyone you tell her to.

http://www.goldenruleretrievers.com/
reddog90
AG
K.hou said:

Made arrangements with an extremely reputable breeder only to have her change her mind at the last minute and have been awfully stressed out as we were so excited and ready. Now having a hard time finding a breeder who is willing to be a bit more communicative with us. Also had some horrible backyard breeder cases so definitely looking for a puppy with core clearances. Ideally, we were hoping to keep our price at $2000. Spoke with someone who had wonderful dogs with all clearances but unfortunately that $3000 price tag is out of reach for us.
Look at any of the breeders I listed above.
RCR06
AG
So if giddings ever breeds his golden retriever, john wayne. I'd consider naming one of the puppies lil' wayne.
nos92
We recently had to put down our 13yr old golden we got from Tracey Garner for a wedding present a while back. I have been actively searching for her online to no avail. If someone could DM me her contact info if they have it, my family and I would be forever grateful! Thank you.
Texasag19
If you search her name on Facebook, her profile picture is a golden. From there you can message her and she replies quickly giving her full contact info!
ChemAg15
AG
I found a breeder through the greater Houston Golden retriever club. Their website has a list of breeders in the Houston area. After contacting all the breeders on their website I found Cathy Sharp in Bellaire, TX. I had to wait a few months to get a puppy but I couldn't be happier with my golden. He's bred to be a show dog so he has a large frame and an awesome coat. He's an 80lb love bug, super smart, and a fetching fool.

K_P
AG
Not at all what you asked and I'm not a "you should only rescue dogs" guy. Do what you want, but I've gotten my last two dogs older than puppies. Both were pure bread with papers.

Rudy- got him when he was 1.5 from a family that had spent thousands having him trained but he was "too rough" with their old toy poodles. He was the best dog I ever had from high school through college when he died.

Luke- got him from Golden Retriever Acres when he was 8. Well trained, very relaxed manners. He has been awesome and is still humming along at 12.

It is so so much easier than dealing with a puppy but you need to be extremely selective

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Any tips on finding something similar to this? I would like to find a young golden for my family, once my wifes cocker spaniel forgets to inhale her next breath. When I look at the Houston area rescues webpages, all I see are dogs that are somewhat golden colored and maybe had a distant relative that was full golden. I don't really want to mess with a puppy, but will if I can't find what I want. Old cocker is running out of sand in her hourglass, but will probably live another decade just to spite me. Once she is in the ground, I will begin my search in earnest.
ChemAg15
AG
Rule 1
K_P
AG
I wish I had some answer other than pure luck.

"My" first dog Rudy my mom found on a classifieds page specific to the university where she taught. "Free to good home, trained golden retriever" picked him up same day the lady posted it.

After he died I was an adult and my wife and I found our current golden from Golden Retriever Acres Senior Sanctuary north of Houston. Granted 95% of all their dogs are either golden mutts or super old. We just got lucky after searching various places constantly for like 6mos. That said he was still like 8 which is pretty old. But he has great manners and has lived longer than I expected. He is still very active.

Going with an older dog isn't so bad. For one, I guess I don't get as "attached" as some people do. I'm happy to have them around as long as they want to live, but it doesn't ruin my year to lose one (happened 3 times in my life so far).

Secondly, and this is more morbid, I didn't know how a dog would workout with my wife. She'd never had one. Turns out it's worked great and I think she could handle a puppy. I never really had my doubts but a puppy is a hard place to start. (Had only 1 myself).

TLDR, older dog working great, happy to have him around with us and he's as active as we are
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Damn this thread. Don't need another dog. Don't need another dog. Don't need another dog.
KellerAg15
AG
Texasag19 said:

If you search her name on Facebook, her profile picture is a golden. From there you can message her and she replies quickly giving her full contact info!
I recently messaged Tracey on Facebook but have not heard back from her, do you have any updated contact info for her or know if she is still breeding Golden's?
jskipworth
Definitely Tracey in Edom!
Aggieangler93
AG
giddings_ag_06 said:

Planning on breeding mine this year. Best dog the OB has ever seen. Field line so he's maxed out at about 65 pounds. Hunting fool.

Who told you he knows how to hunt? LOL
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
aggiedata
AG
We are picking up our Golden pup from Tracey in Edom on Halloween. We are so impressed by her and her set up. This will be our second Goldie. We rescued our first through Golden Beginnings here in Houston area. Never had a Golden puppy before. We can't wait.
aggiedata
AG
Tracey is awesome. Here is Hannah. Picked her up Saturday. She is amazing.

rmp15
AG
Do you mind me asking if Tracey's pups have all the clearances as well? Haven't been able to find any info about it. Eyes, hips, heart, etc
aggiedata
AG
She does. We actually didn't get the papers proving it but we understand why and trust her on the process. She did come with the first round of shots and a vet exam.
Duck Blind
AG
Beautiful!!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.