Outdoors
Sponsored by

New Family Dog

7,177 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jtp01
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm within Giddings on this one!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
texag_89
Badace52 said:

texag_89 said:

Gotta go for a Hound... THE best damn family dogs ever. May I suggest the following we have owned:
- bluetick
- redbone
- beagle
- bloodhound currently (she is a sweetheart... A little inbred acting, but she did come from East Texas, so expected)

Or, deviate and get a Wired Hair Fox Terrier for a whole other kind of dog!!

Seriously, can't go wrong with a Hound.

[url=https://postimg.cc/dkjkrnnc][/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/w3PyJtQv][/url]

I absolutely love hounds, but they howl soooo much as young dogs. Have to be ready for that.

Oh ya.

The Fall Guy
AG
We just have a Basset Hound now. Mischievous but a real heart winner with the ladies and kids. We just had out Rottie put to sleep 2 weeks ago. The basset and Rottie slept in the Same bed together.
texag_89
The Fall Guy said:

We just have a Basset Hound now. Mischievous but a real heart winner with the ladies and kids. We just had out Rottie put to sleep 2 weeks ago. The basset and Rottie slept in the Same bed together.

I have mentioned here before, we are trying to own as many different hounds as possible before we are too old to do so...

- Our next will be a Walker, a Black and Tan or a Plott... not sure which yet.

- Then when the 2nd of the current 2 go, we will finish with 2 Bassetts.

That ought to get us the next 20 years or so.

Again, there is not a finer family/people dog than a Hound, specificity a scent hound, imho.

_89
Aston 91
AG
I'll second the recommendations on a rescue for a family pet. This is our second rescue. First was a retired greyhound. Great dog, low maintenance but not a ton of personality. This guy has been awesome and has lots of personality. That sh*t eating grin on his face is permanent. If we pass 10 people on a walk, 9 of them will smile when they see him. Best kind of "therapy" dog in my opinion.

AgDaddy08-11
S
That's a good looking dog you have. What kind is it? We are hoping to replace our border collie mix one day.
Aston 91
AG
AgDaddy08-11 said:

That's a good looking dog you have. What kind is it? We are hoping to replace our border collie mix one day.
We did a DNA test and they basically said "We have no idea". They did say he may have some Great Pyrenees and Collie, but the amounts were fairly low (less than 1/8 each). From all I've read about GP's, he does exhibit some traits (i.e. can be stubborn and is quick to let us know when someone is in his territory). But I've never been around a dog that likes attention as much as this one, which I don't think is typical for GP's. If he won't respond when I call his name, I just call the cat's name and the dog will be at my feet in no time. He can't stand the thought of the cat getting more attention than him.
JWS99
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

We are on lab #3. We went with an English lab this go round because they are supposed to be more laid back and not so wild and with work and kids that's what we needed. He has been perfect. He loves the kids, loves to bird hunt, and has been easy to train with little effort. We are even on a list for another one for the spring so he has a buddy to play with and will leave our geriatric lab alone. So if you look into labs look into more of an English style versus American sporting type.
Beckdiesel can you share your breeder? This is what we are looking for.
Slamn Sharpe
Our kids have been around German shepherds, doberman, labs, schnauzer and a few others.

Hands down the Doberman has been their favorite and it's probably not even close
Beckdiesel03
AG
Homestead labradors out of Bandera. Our chocolate lab from them is amazing. We brought home a black lab from them 2 weeks ago as well.
jtp01
AG
Yes!!! Best dog I have owned as an adult by far. A Bluetick coonhound that we rescued from a home in town because she treed squirrels in a subdivision.

That goofy dog was awesome. When we moved to the farm she became an entirely different dog. She was so happy and gained her "youth" back though only for a little while( we lost her back in November). She made every step my boys made all over 1300 acres. Saved them from rattlesnakes, ran off coyotes, got tagged by skunks and even a run in with a bobcat once. She would work cattle with us. Craziest thing I've ever seen a coonhound working cattle, but she did it.

I miss that goofy dog. When it's time, we will get another one. She was perfect for us. Lazy enough to just chill and drink a beer with, but would go anywhere with us.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.